Irish Music on Irish Radio Article by Niall Stokes (2 Viewers)

If I was the owner of a commercial radio station I'd be rightly aggrieved.
Not rightly. A quota doesn't change the size of the advertising market, which is how the radio stations makes their money. If the quota is uniformly enforced it won't affect any stations competitive position, so the commercial station owners shouldn't give a shit one way or the other

I think the real issue with radio stations is not quotas but the outright corruption that exists whereby labels buy radio time for their acts. Sometimes it's in return for buying advertising, other times it's expensive junkets for DJs and of course just straight bribes. There is ample evidence of this in other countries and it may well be happening here too, given that airplay patterns are following those set elsewhere.

Quotas are a dud idea that at best will get established irish acts played at off-peak and in fact just distract from a discussion of the serious corruption issue in radio.

Not rightly. A quota doesn't change the size of the advertising market, which is how the radio stations makes their money.

But presumably radio stations are in competition with other media for advertising custom? If radio as a whole becomes less popular, advertisers may divert their spending to TV or print media or something else?

But presumably radio stations are in competition with other media for advertising custom? If radio as a whole becomes less popular, advertisers may divert their spending to TV or print media or something else?
Why would it become less popular? People will listen to whatever shit the radio spues out. no matter where it's from

I think the real issue with radio stations is not quotas but the outright corruption that exists whereby labels buy radio time for their acts. Sometimes it's in return for buying advertising, other times it's expensive junkets for DJs and of course just straight bribes. There is ample evidence of this in other countries and it may well be happening here too, given that airplay patterns are following those set elsewhere.

Quotas are a dud idea that at best will get established irish acts played at off-peak and in fact just distract from a discussion of the serious corruption issue in radio.

Yep there was that big payola scandal in the US decades ago but the practice seems to be nearly universal now. I think in the US only maybe NPR and college radio stations aren't part of this system.

But quotas have worked elsewhere, haven't they? I can't see how we'd even start to de-corrupt radio, seeing as we can't de-corrupt politics ... and I think the problem is worse than plain corruption, it's the wholesale capture of the hearts and minds of the radio stations by the big labels. I expect stations spend so much time dealing with stuff that's promoted to them by the big labels that they just don't really have the time or inclination to consider much else

Speaking of Irish radio here's a qoute from Phantom Radio today:

"OH MY GOD!, Can you imagine Carrie Bradshaw eating a kebab?"

jaysus there was some shite talking today

Phantom has really gone to shit recently.
The last 2 times I flicked it on i got smacked with Amy Winehouse and The Coronas.
Really pushing the envelope there.

p.s. played stokes and his hotpress munchengladbach bunch of drunken(at least, they played like they were drunk) bowsies in footie last year. they sucked.

But quotas have worked elsewhere, haven't they? I can't see how we'd even start to de-corrupt radio, seeing as we can't de-corrupt politics ... and I think the problem is worse than plain corruption, it's the wholesale capture of the hearts and minds of the radio stations by the big labels. I expect stations spend so much time dealing with stuff that's promoted to them by the big labels that they just don't really have the time or inclination to consider much else

I´m not sure I´ve heard of quotas working elsewhere. If you´re thinking of canada, bear in mind that there are loads of other supports for bands such as touring grants etc that are probably responsible of most of success.

I´m not sure I´ve heard of quotas working elsewhere. If you´re thinking of canada, bear in mind that there are loads of other supports for bands such as touring grants etc that are probably responsible of most of success.

uk has it, as do:
the united states
france
south africa
australia

amongst a good number of others

it's also highly prominent with the far east nations
:cool:
leigh

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back