Irish Music on Irish Radio Article by Niall Stokes (1 Viewer)

It kills me how much cultural credence ireland gets out of it's music, when there is so little real support here. Like the situation in Canada, where indie bands aswell as your (normally funded) classical ensembles can apply for grants

the Candian experiment has been wildly sucsseful, it's true... though watch for the backlash (there are some really awful looking Canadian bands coming out right about now too... thankfully most will never probably bother are shores...)

While it's been encouraging to see what can happen when people put some muscle behind local talent (and I think the long term winner of this will be your Arcade Fires and BSS and Stars if they can record a better album... but mostly Fiest cause I can't think of anyone, indie kid to granny, who wouldn't genuinely like either of her albums) how long is it really sustainable for? invariably you can't keep churning out quality popular music as a) the pool of talent isn't that big, even in Montreal and b) the NME style backlash will kick you in the ass everytime...

Also if Ireland did it you know it'd be Aslan, The Koronas, sme awful crusty Afrobeat-Trad craziness and in an ill-advised punt for the Yoof Market, Dirty Epics or something equally redundant that only a panel middle aged music industry types would think relevant or edgy

[/rant]

Some interesting links:
Canadian radio policy - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Canadian_content

Criticism of Canadian policy-
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Frankly, Avril Lavigne doesn't need government legislation to receive radio airplay in Canada or anywhere else in the world. The songs of Sarah McLachlan, Nickelback and Celine Dion are heard in many countries around the world and will be played on our airwaves regardless of their nationalities. They are fully developed artists and are profitable, sustainable entities. In short, they've made it.

Canadians are proud of our international stars, yet surely, the point of creating CANCON (forcing radio stations to play more Canadian music) was not to merely pad the airplay of international superstars and the profits of U.S. based record companies.

CANCON was constructed around a sound idea. More radio play for homegrown artists would mean more musicians, more instrument sales, more rehearsal spaces, more recording studios, more managers, more promoters, more labels, more record stores, more fans of Canadian music, etc...

When Shania Twain gets a spin on Canadian radio today, it does none of the above. CANCON's current formulas are undercutting the very foundation on which it was created
[/FONT]. - from: http://www.letsfixcancon.ca/

yeah yeah free wireless. we should go for a beer here next week when i'm drinking again. by the way, i'm well up for that concert tomorrow, not going to bamberg after all again.
ok, i'm off, see you in twenty minutes. i'll bring some cookies from the turkish bakery.
m.
P.S. Shane England, if you read this, call home!

Is it ok to go back on topic? Arguably the quota won't work the miracles that it would like to but surely in a choice between some yank and a Canadian celebrity, the Canadian collective psyche benefits from their own singer winning the toss. If a quota has to be met here in this country I'd imagine that there must be a few DJs who would relish having to choose some fresh Irish music during playlist hours.

he is a cocknocker

here is stokesy
niall_stokes_pop.jpg

mick hucknall

Mick-Hucknall-Photograph-C10045255.jpeg

cocknocker

From a commercial perspective though, there isn't enough suitable Irish music to fill 30%. If Larry Gogan is doing his top forty countdown and there's no Irish songs, what's he supposed to do, play a Septic Pussy song in between? It's unreasonable. Saying that playing the music will create a more sustainable market is putting the cart before the horse- it doesn't help Larry one bit. If I was the owner of a commercial radio station I'd be rightly aggrieved.

Speaking of Irish radio here's a qoute from Phantom Radio today:

"OH MY GOD!, Can you imagine Carrie Bradshaw eating a kebab?"

jaysus there was some shite talking today

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back