Is the Irish Music Industry unethical/immoral to independent artists? (1 Viewer)

Me too.

Ah yes, Moose is right of course nothing exists in a microcosm....except.... Let's face it lads we live on an island at the most western point of a land mass which we have many things in common with and many huge differences from and we are separated from that land mass by a bigger island which has three separate nations on it each of which has many aspects of similarity and huge differences and then there's London which Dublin has next to nothing in common with.

In a sense Dublin is not so much a microcosm (if it could be of anything) but it is uniquely isolated. I think it's that sense of isolation which makes it what it is in a way. Dublin is not really Ireland in the the way that London is not really England. Cities like Cork, Galway or Belfast have far more in common (from what I've seen) with smaller european cities ( I mean that in the best possible way, i.e the pace of the city, the friendliness of the people and the sense of dare I say it a "community") Those places are also uniquely Irish but also similar to europe and parts of Britain.

Dublin on the other hand is a paradox. it's too small to be as violent and impersonal as it is and yet it's probably too big to have so many close knit creative communities (not just music might I add) I've traveled a lot but I've never been anywhere that had even a remote similarity to Dublin. It's like a city which doesn't so much have an identity crisis but it's identity is crisis. Everyone describes the Irish as laid back and friendly and yet while Dublin is this to many outsiders, to us, us Dubs in particular it seems a constant battle. I suppose this is one of the reasons we have threads and discussions like this one. We have to be at odds. Even if most of us can agree on an one ideal.

So yeah while you can draw parralels with other cities in terms of location and population but you could never say that Dublin is genuinely like anywhere else.

Don't believe me ? Check out the Garth Brooks thread.

Gareth

Whelan's pays bands to just show up and play now? When I used to play there the odd time you had to rent the place and look after the rest yourself. When did that change?
A few years ago I think. They seemed to try to move away from shit singer song writers and tried to get in some more interesting bands. Maybe @whelanslive could explain their policy actually. Although maybe not.

heh heh heh.

Upstairs pays a fee for the midnight gigs. Not alot but more than enough to cover expenses and its free in so great chance of getting exposure and getting paid. Downstairs we've been booked by a promoter or another band and got paid by one or the other.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back