is my dog too old to be a dad? (1 Viewer)

My dog doesn't need a legacy and this country doesn't need more dogs. If a person acknowledges the problems in pounds throughout the country yet still decides to go ahead with a litter, they are contributing to the problem.

your argument in a nutshell: too many dogs, dont facilitate the birth of more.
if you were in china, would you encourage women not to get pregnant because there is severe (and i mean severe) overcrowding in the orphanages there? it doesn't work like that!
i know, babies and dogs, might be seen as an unfair comparison. i think what I am trying to say is that I'm fully aware of the problem in Ireland, but not all dogs born and homed end up in pounds. being involved in one litter is NOT comparable to be a puppy farmer as you put it.

as for what i said about involvement re: homing: i can't believe i woke up from a nap because i knew you'd pounce straight in on this - do i need to tell you the last bit is of course blatant sarcasm?? but naturally one of the perks of being either set of human is the constant puppy time for a few weeks. and regarding the first part, it HAS to be read in context. i was replying to a question about profit. we are not doing it for profit, we are not participating to make any money at all! in my experience that side of it is dealt with by the other owners. while they are pups and until they are homed, they would remain (obviously) with the bitch and her owners, who take full responsibility in that sense. OF COURSE the responsibility of vetting the puppy's potential owners is borne by both sets of humans but the actual logistics of when each puppy goes to whom and when can be undertaken by the owners as they are the ones who are there 24/7. hope that's clearer. but to be honest, this thread is sucking the life out of me now so we will have to agree to disagree and let that be it. the bitch's owners are planning on her having pups with or without murph's....participation.

as corey said: we are not all monsters. done!!!

LaLa said: 'No in my experience the dad helps make the puppies and the care of and eventual homing of the litter is the responsibility of the bitch's owners. murph will get his kicks and for a few weeks we'll be able to call over incessently and play with our cute little grandchildren.’

In fairness that was aimed at me and was probably a nicer way of telling me to fuck off and stop being a smart arse.

Edit: by probably I mean I'm pretty sure it was.

your argument in a nutshell: too many dogs, dont facilitate the birth of more.
if you were in china, would you encourage women not to get pregnant because there is severe (and i mean severe) overcrowding in the orphanages there? it doesn't work like that!
i know, babies and dogs, might be seen as an unfair comparison. i think what I am trying to say is that I'm fully aware of the problem in Ireland, but not all dogs born and homed end up in pounds. being involved in one litter is NOT comparable to be a puppy farmer as you put it.

as for what i said about involvement re: homing: i can't believe i woke up from a nap because i knew you'd pounce straight in on this - do i need to tell you the last bit is of course blatant sarcasm?? but naturally one of the perks of being either set of human is the constant puppy time for a few weeks. and regarding the first part, it HAS to be read in context. i was replying to a question about profit. we are not doing it for profit, we are not participating to make any money at all! in my experience that side of it is dealt with by the other owners. while they are pups and until they are homed, they would remain (obviously) with the bitch and her owners, who take full responsibility in that sense. OF COURSE the responsibility of vetting the puppy's potential owners is borne by both sets of humans but the actual logistics of when each puppy goes to whom and when can be undertaken by the owners as they are the ones who are there 24/7. hope that's clearer. but to be honest, this thread is sucking the life out of me now so we will have to agree to disagree and let that be it. the bitch's owners are planning on her having pups with or without murph's....participation.

as corey said: we are not all monsters. done!!!

WOW, er, OK, done.

My intention wasn’t to insult and from reading thumped I know you are an animal lover so I guess I was surprised when I read of your intentions. I was speaking generally about this subject and not specifically directing it at you, so if it seemed like I was sorry. We are never going to agree on this issue! I cannot think of any reason to justify it, you haven't really given any and I would genuinely be interested to hear what they are. I mean I have the most handsome dog in the world (sorry Murphy!) and I would love to get him together with a foxy lady and let them produce cute little critters but knowing what goes on there is no way in hell I could do it (he's neutered anyway!) I would hate to think my selfish actions would in anyway contribute to the problem. My dog doesn't need a legacy and this country doesn't need more dogs.

The conditions the dogs are kept in and born into and the reasons for doing it may be different but the end result of the puppy farmer or the person who has one litter is the same, more dogs in a country that killed 19,000 of them in 2006. If a person acknowledges the problems in pounds throughout the country yet still decides to go ahead with a litter, they are contributing to the problem.

I believe that the only basis on which I would consider it acceptable for someone to have a litter from their dog is if they undertook to assume full responsibility for any dog whose home does not work out but really, who is going to do that. A family may seem perfect for your dog and they may be, but circumstances change and for a myriad of reasons people end up dumping or surrendering their dogs.

LaLa said: 'No in my experience the dad helps make the puppies and the care of and eventual homing of the litter is the responsibility of the bitch's owners. murph will get his kicks and for a few weeks we'll be able to call over incessently and play with our cute little grandchildren.’

Yeah, I can appreciate a thread about your old guy getting his kicks is funny and maybe this particualr thread wasn't the place for my rant but I was trying to outline the sad truth behind this.

Sorry I'm in work and trying to sneakily reply to this while my boss is lurking so its a bit all over the shop and I'm not so good at quoting and the font is different so I'll leave it at that. I'm getting too dogmatic on this (hoho):heart:

Ozzy says don't do it LaLa!!

http://www.dogsindistress.org/node/1707

You're right you know; but I dont think you understand.

Take a look at just how cute cruelty can be.

images

Oh to have been here two minutes earlier.

Yeah, it was a 300 word rant against Lala and all her family and friends and everyone she's ever been associated with. I held her and Murphy wholly responsible for the 19,000 dogs that were destroyed last year. :pYou missed out big time bud, big time.|..|

Just throwing in some support for daisy coz it doesn't seem like there's enough.
Lots of people saying 'ah it's just one litter' = lots of litters.

disclaimer: this is not an attack on Lala

Lets do a deal.

I'll get rid of lala if the both of you promise to shut the fuck up drawling on about cruelty in a thread about loving dogs, put together by dog lovers seeking the advice and opinions of other like minded and intelligent dog lovers.

Now, dont go nuts.I respect your cause.

I just wish you'd stop fucking crying already.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Fixity/Meabh McKenna/Black Coral
Bello Bar
Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Meljoann with special guest Persona
The Workman's Cellar
8 Essex St E, Temple Bar, Dublin, D02 HT44, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back