is my dog too old to be a dad? (1 Viewer)

no, in my experience the dad helps make the puppies and the care of and eventual homing of the litter is the responsibility of the bitch's owners. murph will get his kicks and for a few weeks we'll be able to call over incessently and play with our cute little grandchildren.

Fair enough, no point in asking you to keep us in mind for one then.

mog.jpg

There's an overpopulation of unwanted mongrels, not sought-after pedigrees like these. I'd definitely want a mongrel, much as these pups will be the cutest things on four paws.

You are joking right? The pounds and rescues in this country are full of pedigree dogs.

I just don't understand why you would want to do this. Thousands of unwanted dogs get put down each year in this country and the 'ah sure lets just let her have one litter' brigade play as big a part in this as the puppy farmer. I assume you and your friend will make sure that the pups only go to responsbile homes and that if the homes don't work out you will assume responsibility for the dogs again? Everyone loves a puppy but what about when it gets older and the owners don't find it so cute anymore. You might never dream of getting rid of a dog, but people do, for the most lame-o reasons. A dog doesn't need a legacy. And unfortunately in this country where people see animals as disposable and as something that can be sent to the pound when it doesn't suit them anymore, unless you undertake to find the 'prefect' home and provide backup if things go wrong I think its a very irresponsible idea. Leave the poor chap to enjoy his twilight years without introducing him to the heady yet twisted world of encounters with the fairer sex!

Sorry to be the serious one in an otherwise lighthearted thread but I feel strongly about this.

(Let the flaming commence! I can take it!)

You are joking right? The pounds and rescues in this country are full of pedigree dogs.

I just don't understand why you would want to do this. Thousands of unwanted dogs get put down each year in this country and the 'ah sure lets just let her have one litter' brigade play as big a part in this as the puppy farmer. I assume you and your friend will make sure that the pups only go to responsbile homes and that if the homes don't work out you will assume responsibility for the dogs again? Everyone loves a puppy but what about when it gets older and the owners don't find it so cute anymore. You might never dream of getting rid of a dog, but people do, for the most lame-o reasons. A dog doesn't need a legacy. And unfortunately in this country where people see animals as disposable and as something that can be sent to the pound when it doesn't suit them anymore, unless you undertake to find the 'prefect' home and provide backup if things go wrong I think its a very irresponsible idea. Leave the poor chap to enjoy his twilight years without introducing him to the heady yet twisted world of encounters with the fairer sex!

Sorry to be the serious one in an otherwise lighthearted thread but I feel strongly about this.

Would you not agree that this problem is systemic and as such, the maximum return on the intellectual investment would be gained through determining problems and devising solutions at the macro level?

Or in other words: PUPPIES!!!!!

You're probably right. I just get so excited about puppies and about all dogs, that I don't stop to think.

Mr Jane just rang me to get my opinion because some of his pals asked him to go into a syndicate for a greyhound. And I went on about a ten-minute rant and then, "Does that answer your question?" He said he just hadn't realised the extent of the badness of the industry. After telling him about Ireland's appalling record of greyhound murder, I went on to explain how at least they are put out of their misery, which can't be said for the pooches who get sent to Spain. And then I felt a bit sad at how many people think, "Well, I won't be mean to *our* dog, so it's okay," when actually, just participatng is facilitating a really cruel industry.

I :heart: doggies.

I always cringe when I see a puppy around christmastime, worried that the pup will be a passing fancy.

I want to take care of all the doggies.

Look! These fellas and ladies need your love:
http://www.bassetrescue.ca/bassets.html
http://www.bassethoundrescue.com/

All your unwanted puppies belong to me?

I can haz puppeh?

i'm running to class. but i will get back to this....cos i disagree with some of your points - and trust me, the decision is not as flippant as you would think it, but for the sake of asking a simple question i kept that out of it.

-i will say this though. your post seems to imply that only people who get pedigrees chuck them in a poiund when they get bored. sadly i know of many instances where people have gotten dogs from pounds (mongrel or pedigree) only to throw them back there when they tire of the dog or decide they dont want one any more.

No, just misinformed obviously. I presumed that the whole point of pedigree dogs was that people actually wanted them (always had Heinz 57s meself).

There are breed specific rescues all over this country and the Uk. Its not just the Heinz 57s in trouble. I have dealings with some pounds and rescue organisations and for example at present in 3 pounds I know of there are boxers, jack russells, german shepards (inlcuding a rare white one), collies and labs and recently some groups have rescued from the pounds, springers, pointers, a bichon friese, a deerhound, westies, whippets, golden retrievers, akitas, an english bull dog. The list is endless. The dogs that have been taken out of the pounds are often in foster homes while they wait to travel to the UK or Sweden to be rehomed because homes can't even be found for them here. Lots of people wouldn't consider a pound dog and want a pedigree puppy even though bad breeding by unscrupulous people have led to many genetic problems with various pedigree breeds and varying degrees of unstable temperament which is one reason of many why people end up dumping their dogs in pounds. A pedigree dog does not often guarantee that the dog will be of good quality and it is proven that cross breeds, aka your Heinz 57 are generally healthier. I'm not denying that there are people interested in particular breeds or furthering that breed but those idiots who see the dog as an accessory or some kind of extension of their idiotic personality and who would dismiss a mutt from the pound don't necessarily have a healthier and better tempered dog on their hands.

What some of the 'lets have a litter or two' brigade do is surrender the dog to the pound when they have made their few bob and are done with her and keep one of the puppies which they will probably use to breed from and the cycle starts again. Bad owners do not discriminate!

So I think it can be safely said that I am against backyard breeding be it to earn a quick buck or for LaLa's reasons!!

(Sorry, my cup overfloweth with passion on this subject!)

Great thread, especially the title.

I'd say Murph has had his end away a few times without your knowledge. Especially if he's the George Clooney of the dog world.

-i will say this though. your post seems to imply that only people who get pedigrees chuck them in a poiund when they get bored. sadly i know of many instances where people have gotten dogs from pounds (mongrel or pedigree) only to throw them back there when they tire of the dog or decide they dont want one any more.

Oh god no I didn't mean to imply that at all. All varities end up in the pound. And my points apply to any person who chooses to breed from their dog, be it pedigree or mutt! I only brought up the issue of pedigree dogs in response to what LoLo said

What some of the 'lets have a litter or two' brigade do is surrender the dog to the pound when they have made their few bob and are done with her and keep one of the puppies which they will probably use to breed from and the cycle starts again. Bad owners do not discriminate!

So I think it can be safely said that I am against backyard breeding be it to earn a quick buck or for LaLa's reasons!!

(Sorry, my cup overfloweth with passion on this subject!)

I see your point, but I reckon that for those who wouldn't consider a pound dog, it's better to get a puppy from someone doing what La La wants to do than to get them from an unscrupulous breeder. I think we can be pretty damn sure that none of those pups will be impounded -- if they're only doing it once, I'm sure they'll go to good homes.

That said, even if I was looking for a pedigree, I would make every effort to get one from a pound. And if we did end up getting a pedigree dog from a breeder, I'd definitely get the second one from the doggies' home.

I wonder maybe if,for those people who are nervous about housing a pound dog, there could be some kind of campaign to encourage people who insist on buying from breeders to also sponsor a pound dog or other animal that wasn't wanted?

I dunno, I do see your point, though. Part of me agrees, but there's another part of me that just really wants Murphy to have his amazing puppies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Fixity/Meabh McKenna/Black Coral
Bello Bar
Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Meljoann with special guest Persona
The Workman's Cellar
8 Essex St E, Temple Bar, Dublin, D02 HT44, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back