is my dog too old to be a dad? (3 Viewers)

seriously, all this clap-trap about unwanted puppies and dog pouds

you're putting Murph off his stroke here dudes, the old timers going to have enough trouble getting doggy wood without all this shit going through his mind...

trust girls to ruin some thread about some dude getting his oats

if they're only doing it once, I'm sure they'll go to good homes.

I've no doubt that LaLa is a kind person and would only want the best for the dogs but there is just no guarantee of that and the statistics released by the Dept of the Environment for 2006 below show just how big the problem is and this kind of indiscriminate breeding contributes to this problem. Really what we need is a complete overhaul of the animal welfare legislation in this country and regulations on breeding. Anyone can set themselves up as a breeder without having to register and they aren't obliged to find good homes either. I don't know how anyone could look at these figures and then justify the actions of the one or two litter brigade, nevermind those who do it on a larger scale for reasons of profit.

Totals for 34 Pounds -

Seized 7,825
Surrendered/collected 16,338
Total "IN" 24,163

Rehomed/Reclaimed 9,539

Destroyed 14,598
to compare with the 2005 figures check the website www.anvilireland.ie

There is no column in the DOE spreadsheet for dogs given to rescues so they're included in
the "Rehomed/Reclaimed" column .

seriously, all this clap-trap about unwanted puppies and dog pouds

you're putting Murph off his stroke here dudes, the old timers going to have enough trouble getting doggy wood without all this shit going through his mind...

trust girls to ruin some thread about some dude getting his oats

Oh, Pantsy, still trying to live vicariously through domestic pets?

SOMEONE PLEASE RIDE PANTONE!

There are breed specific rescues all over this country and the Uk. Its not just the Heinz 57s in trouble. I have dealings with some pounds and rescue organisations and for example at present in 3 pounds I know of there are boxers, jack russells, german shepards (inlcuding a rare white one), collies and labs and recently some groups have rescued from the pounds, springers, pointers, a bichon friese, a deerhound, westies, whippets, golden retrievers, akitas, an english bull dog. The list is endless. The dogs that have been taken out of the pounds are often in foster homes while they wait to travel to the UK or Sweden to be rehomed because homes can't even be found for them here. Lots of people wouldn't consider a pound dog and want a pedigree puppy even though bad breeding by unscrupulous people have led to many genetic problems with various pedigree breeds and varying degrees of unstable temperament which is one reason of many why people end up dumping their dogs in pounds. A pedigree dog does not often guarantee that the dog will be of good quality and it is proven that cross breeds, aka your Heinz 57 are generally healthier. I'm not denying that there are people interested in particular breeds or furthering that breed but those idiots who see the dog as an accessory or some kind of extension of their idiotic personality and who would dismiss a mutt from the pound don't necessarily have a healthier and better tempered dog on their hands.

What some of the 'lets have a litter or two' brigade do is surrender the dog to the pound when they have made their few bob and are done with her and keep one of the puppies which they will probably use to breed from and the cycle starts again. Bad owners do not discriminate!

So I think it can be safely said that I am against backyard breeding be it to earn a quick buck or for LaLa's reasons!!

(Sorry, my cup overfloweth with passion on this subject!)

Don't apologise, I stand corrected. And sad. And wanting a dog (not at home enough to have one though:()

I just don't understand why you would want to do this. Thousands of unwanted dogs get put down each year in this country and the 'ah sure lets just let her have one litter' brigade play as big a part in this as the puppy farmer.

wow, thanks. sorry but i find that a little insulting. like i said before, i didnt line out our specific reasons for wanting to stud Murphy here as i didnt feel it necessary. but you make grandiose assumptions that we (and indeed the bitch's humans) haven't a clue about the situation in pounds around the country. our experience in getting murph is exactly the kind we'd be wanting for the litter (that may not even come of this union). carefully and considerately overseeing the birth of one litter is in no way the awful thing that is happening on a daily basis in puppy mills. this is a one-off thing - and as if we would just farm out the pups to people we didn't think would make a good, lifelong home for them?? the notion is unfathomable. you can't assume that it's some kind of flippant decision just for the chance to have a cuddle with a few pups for a while. that's just unfair.

I assume you and your friend will make sure that the pups only go to responsbile homes and that if the homes don't work out you will assume responsibility for the dogs again?

uh......of course. see above.

Sorry to be the serious one in an otherwise lighthearted thread but I feel strongly about this.

which is totally fair enough, and for those who may not know alot about the subject, you outline everything they should know. but keep in mind we aren't doing this for the laugh or as an off-the-cuff thing to do. they were already planning on having a litter, and needed a dog to sire the pups. and given the support and contacts we have, we offered him up. plain and simple. sorry for putting a sexy little twang on the whole thing on behalf of murph ;)

it's clear you feel very deeply about this, but i think you misconstrued what was supposed to be a lighthearted fragment of the whole situation and saw it as otherwise!

anyway the dogs of ireland should be yelping with glee to have you around :)

wow, thanks. sorry but i find that a little insulting. like i said before, i didnt line out our specific reasons for wanting to stud Murphy here as i didnt feel it necessary. but you make grandiose assumptions that we (and indeed the bitch's humans) haven't a clue about the situation in pounds around the country. our experience in getting murph is exactly the kind we'd be wanting for the litter (that may not even come of this union).

My intention wasn’t to insult and from reading thumped I know you are an animal lover so I guess I was surprised when I read of your intentions. I was speaking generally about this subject and not specifically directing it at you, so if it seemed like I was sorry. We are never going to agree on this issue! I cannot think of any reason to justify it, you haven't really given any and I would genuinely be interested to hear what they are. I mean I have the most handsome dog in the world (sorry Murphy!) and I would love to get him together with a foxy lady and let them produce cute little critters but knowing what goes on there is no way in hell I could do it (he's neutered anyway!) I would hate to think my selfish actions would in anyway contribute to the problem. My dog doesn't need a legacy and this country doesn't need more dogs.

carefully and considerately overseeing the birth of one litter is in no way the awful thing that is happening on a daily basis in puppy mills.

The conditions the dogs are kept in and born into and the reasons for doing it may be different but the end result of the puppy farmer or the person who has one litter is the same, more dogs in a country that killed 19,000 of them in 2006. If a person acknowledges the problems in pounds throughout the country yet still decides to go ahead with a litter, they are contributing to the problem.

this is a one-off thing - and as if we would just farm out the pups to people we didn't think would make a good, lifelong home for them?? the notion is unfathomable. you can't assume that it's some kind of flippant decision just for the chance to have a cuddle with a few pups for a while. that's just unfair.

I believe that the only basis on which I would consider it acceptable for someone to have a litter from their dog is if they undertook to assume full responsibility for any dog whose home does not work out but really, who is going to do that. A family may seem perfect for your dog and they may be, but circumstances change and for a myriad of reasons people end up dumping or surrendering their dogs.

uh......of course. see above.

LaLa said: 'No in my experience the dad helps make the puppies and the care of and eventual homing of the litter is the responsibility of the bitch's owners. murph will get his kicks and for a few weeks we'll be able to call over incessently and play with our cute little grandchildren.’

it's clear you feel very deeply about this, but i think you misconstrued what was supposed to be a lighthearted fragment of the whole situation and saw it as otherwise!

Yeah, I can appreciate a thread about your old guy getting his kicks is funny and maybe this particualr thread wasn't the place for my rant but I was trying to outline the sad truth behind this.

Sorry I'm in work and trying to sneakily reply to this while my boss is lurking so its a bit all over the shop and I'm not so good at quoting and the font is different so I'll leave it at that. I'm getting too dogmatic on this (hoho):heart:

Ozzy says don't do it LaLa!!

http://www.dogsindistress.org/node/1707

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Fixity/Meabh McKenna/Black Coral
Bello Bar
Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Meljoann with special guest Persona
The Workman's Cellar
8 Essex St E, Temple Bar, Dublin, D02 HT44, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back