is it the olympics yet? (1 Viewer)

tumblr_m7mppb7Zw31rtpujdo1_400.gif

Why is it we only ever stand a chance of winning a medal at fighting. Is it because boxing is an integral part of GAA and the GAA have all out best athletes?

ireland do well at golf, boxing, and horsey stuff.
i.e. sports where the participants are well off enough to finance the sport, or sports which don't involve heavy investment.
we suck at sports which require grant aid; that said, our national sport is one which is not competed at outside the country.

this is just brilliant - watch from about 2:15 in.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

ronnie delaney, eamonn coughlan, john treacy, sonia o'sullivan - it's certainly not our worst sport.

That's just 4 though, you could count the cross country runner from Cavan too I suppose (Catriona McKiernan?), there's more of us then there are Jamaicans and they do way better than us, presumably they're on even more modest budgets.

Where's the problem with that theory?

I think the problem with it is that it sounds like something that was formulated down the pub. There is zero scientific evidence behind it afaik.

And most anyone of African orgin on the western side of the Greenwich meridian is likely to be of slave descent. The idea that their athletic achievements are down to massa ranges from naive to problematic.
Also, I don't think slave traders held tryouts. They were a little more indiscriminate than that.

There's plenty of ways of looking at that and I'd be wary of the premise, generally people who are genetic outliers for a physical characteristic have offspring that tend towards the norm.

For example with height, if you're an unusually tall man your sons might also be tall but will likely be shorter than you. It would take a seriously intensive eugenics programme to increase the mean height of a population by forcing tall men and tall women to breed with each other and to prevent short people from getting any (be it with other shortarses or with the "prime" tall breeding stock that you're using to try and to manipulate the what is considered average). You also have to consider how long it takes for the offspring of these tall people (who, to reiterate, are likely going to be closer to the existing average than their parents) are capable of reproducing themselves.

So it's a nice theory if you don't mind that you're talking about about people as opposed to livestock, but maybe at best all it does is give you an awesome scene in True Romance

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

its not scientific, but there arnt exactly a huge gang of non african descent americans doing great in athletics. It could me more a thing that if you are from a place where lions and stuff are just hanging about, you'll get really, really good at running.

also Hector Grey ; if there was any truth to that, canada would be way better at fighting than us and italy would win all the diving events.

Fighting in ice hockey isn't fighting. Look at the state of them, padded up to the nines. Like a bunch of fake sumos.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back