Ireland (6 Viewers)

I don't really agree with this, sports are one of the finest expressions of humanity. If we didn't have these simulations of competition in our lives we'd be a lot closer to wild animals. Sports having fair rules is wildly important in society.
Pro sports are fantastic spectacle of human competition
They can be transformative narratives
Look at what Italia 90 did for us
Look at the West Indies cricket team beating an Asutralian cricket team that considered themselves racially superior
Ali in the jungle against Foreman
Jesse Owens
Even Leicester winning the Premier
We need sports in similar ways that we need poetry - they can tell our stories
It's not all like that, but it can be

But youth and amateur sports are vital too.
Just about the greatest thing you can do for a kid is finding them something physical they can be good at. It can be as smiple as walking in the hills.

I think this is especially true for girls. It gives them a different relationship with their body other than how it looks. It gives them confidence in a world that is constantly trying to strip them of it.

Title IX in the US changed the world for women there, and it's being lived in literally millions of ways.
Girls sports just gave us all those Irish heroes at the track in the Europeans.

Sport is not everything, but it's pretty fucking huge for humanity.

can you give me an example of even one sport that you would consider 'mostly good' ?
Wait, are you talking about a sport that is mostly clean?
SO then you can tell me how everyone in it is juicing?

I mean like good for humanity. We are generally better people when we have movement in our lives. We're happier, we live longer, we have more purpose.
The Tour de France might be a cesspool of drugs, but you and me can bike to Wicklow on a nice day and feel the thrill of doing the thing. You can go and watch some amateur race and root for someone you don't even know. It's in us, it's good for us.

But I am really gonna say running, because it's the most simple and innate human activity.
And our bodies respond to it as such. And it is a global community of welcoming people. It's everything.

And we live in a time of the greatest runners ever.
Kipchoge and Courtney Dewaulter.
We have a woman from Belmullet who didn't even start running til her 30s and she's gonna run the marathon for Australia in Paris.

Excuse teh chattiness. Busy in work, so you know....

Good to hear thumped comparing sports fans positively to mere super heroes. Rhasidat Adeleke is 4 real. Wonderwoman and Barbie are fake.
Hollywood like most popular culture is crap. No wonder a lot of lunkheads like me love sport. A distant second to the perfection of music but best of da rest.

Wait, are you talking about a sport that is mostly clean?
SO then you can tell me how everyone in it is juicing?

I mean like good for humanity. We are generally better people when we have movement in our lives. We're happier, we live longer, we have more purpose.
The Tour de France might be a cesspool of drugs, but you and me can bike to Wicklow on a nice day and feel the thrill of doing the thing. You can go and watch some amateur race and root for someone you don't even know. It's in us, it's good for us.

But I am really gonna say running, because it's the most simple and innate human activity.
And our bodies respond to it as such. And it is a global community of welcoming people. It's everything.

And we live in a time of the greatest runners ever.
Kipchoge and Courtney Dewaulter.
We have a woman from Belmullet who didn't even start running til her 30s and she's gonna run the marathon for Australia in Paris.

Excuse teh chattiness. Busy in work, so you know....
no worries.

I mean elite level sport.

but you are correct. For every sport that is a cesspool at its top end, there are many people getting lots and lots of enjoyment at their lower end. I wonder if the level of competitiveness is inversely proportional to enjoyment. Probably.

I think this is related to the general topic. Amazing physical abilities compared to us regular folk

1719584654835.png

These women from the Tarahumara tribe in Mexico not only run ultra marathons in their traditional camp dresses and plain leather sandals, but they also win with them. Shown here is the legendary Lorena Ramírez. She has won races north of 100 miles. The tribe lives at high altitudes in the Sierra Madres, Mexico. They practice nostril breathing which gives them tremendous lung capacity.

I think this is especially true for girls. It gives them a different relationship with their body other than how it looks
Hmm
Interesting thought, but your implication that "how it looks" is the main relationship girls typically have with their own bodies seems pretty suspect to me. Any of the women of thumped care to comment?

no worries.

I mean elite level sport.

but you are correct. For every sport that is a cesspool at its top end, there are many people getting lots and lots of enjoyment at their lower end. I wonder if the level of competitiveness is inversely proportional to enjoyment. Probably.

I think amateurs are as competitive as anyone else, they just don't have the gaudy numbers.
Look at the top end of any Saturday ParkRun and you'll see heads that very much want to win.

But I do like the idea of competing against a course rather than a person; biking Stelvio, running Boston, swimming the English channel or around Manhattan. You and the course.
You against yourself, your doubts, your tiredness, your quit muscles. Taking something from the impossible to the doable.

I don't think running is overly drugged
Insofar as the records don't reflect it.
Or, uhm, tennis?
But I don't follow them too much.

Hmm
Interesting thought, but your implication that "how it looks" is the main relationship girls typically have with their own bodies seems pretty suspect to me. Any of the women of thumped care to comment?
I do not have a perfect view of how women feel about their bodies.
But just from discussions I've had or been privy too with women who exercise or strength train regularly.
Escaping the tyranny of being seen to be thin. Or only loving your body when it is thin.

Or reading people like Casey Johnston (Swole Woman) or Allie Ostrander.

Again, I don't have a perfect understanidng. Just a lived experience.

There are no women on Thumped anymore though. Sadly.

you cannot be serious.
That's what the "UHM" was for!

I have fucking no idea. I just love watching it.

Mad Men The Suitcase GIF by Vulture.com

I do not have a perfect view of how women feel about their bodies.
But just from discussions I've had or been privy too with women who exercise or strength train regularly.
Escaping the tyranny of being seen to be thin. Or only loving your body when it is thin.

Or reading people like Casey Johnston (Swole Woman) or Allie Ostrander.

Again, I don't have a perfect understanidng. Just a lived experience.

There are no women on Thumped anymore though. Sadly.
I'm still here! (sometimes) 👋And a woman! :).

I think I understand what you mean - in that objectification of women's bodies is just everywhere, and sport or exercise is perhaps reclaiming something, perhaps not even on a conscious level - although I know there are a myriad of reasons at work for every girl or woman, but also, it's just overall a good thing!

I came across this a while back - https://open-city.org.uk/blog/why-do-girls-use-playgrounds-less-than-boys#:~:text='Places%20for%20Girls'%2C%20White,for%20teenagers%20a%20disturbing%20disparity (sorry for the unwieldy link) - about girls hitting puberty/teenage years and taking themselves out of public playgrounds, or places where they might play b-ball, or run, or what not - because of that objectification - there is a thread there, but my brain feels like it's folding in on itself today - is it because it's Friday, and been a long week? But hopefully I will have more clarity on it soon 🙃.

I'm still here! (sometimes) 👋And a woman! :).

I think I understand what you mean - in that objectification of women's bodies is just everywhere, and sport or exercise is perhaps reclaiming something, perhaps not even on a conscious level - although I know there are a myriad of reasons at work for every girl or woman, but also, it's just overall a good thing!

I came across this a while back - https://open-city.org.uk/blog/why-do-girls-use-playgrounds-less-than-boys#:~:text='Places%20for%20Girls'%2C%20White,for%20teenagers%20a%20disturbing%20disparity (sorry for the unwieldy link) - about girls hitting puberty/teenage years and taking themselves out of public playgrounds, or places where they might play b-ball, or run, or what not - because of that objectification - there is a thread there, but my brain feels like it's folding in on itself today - is it because it's Friday, and been a long week? But hopefully I will have more clarity on it soon 🙃.
I am gonna read all of that
This stuck out though

What the girls wanted from their playspaces became clear: sheltered places that felt comfortable to sit in, spaces close to other people but not at the centre of a crowd from where they could see but not necessarily to be seen. They also wanted places where they could co-create to reflect their own experiences and make an impact on their urban environment. The outcome was three interactive spaces with an intimate scale and strong identity. The girls created sheltered spaces where they could meet and engage eye to eye, rather than sitting on benches in a row – hang-out spaces that didn’t immediately demand physical activity.

partly because I'm fascinated by how men and women use public spaces

There's also this ad
Caveats - it's American, it's an ad for a product, there is stirring music
But I feel there's truth to it
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

I think amateurs are as competitive as anyone else, they just don't have the gaudy numbers.
Look at the top end of any Saturday ParkRun and you'll see heads that very much want to win.

But I do like the idea of competing against a course rather than a person; biking Stelvio, running Boston, swimming the English channel or around Manhattan. You and the course.
You against yourself, your doubts, your tiredness, your quit muscles. Taking something from the impossible to the doable.

I don't think running is overly drugged
Insofar as the records don't reflect it.
Or, uhm, tennis?
But I don't follow them too much.

So why not put that attitude towards swimming and take coming last as a win?
Also having worked in a bookies for a few years, tennis is the most rigged sport, moreso than grayhounds and you just need to give the dog a crust of bread to lose.

I am gonna read all of that
This stuck out though

What the girls wanted from their playspaces became clear: sheltered places that felt comfortable to sit in, spaces close to other people but not at the centre of a crowd from where they could see but not necessarily to be seen. They also wanted places where they could co-create to reflect their own experiences and make an impact on their urban environment. The outcome was three interactive spaces with an intimate scale and strong identity. The girls created sheltered spaces where they could meet and engage eye to eye, rather than sitting on benches in a row – hang-out spaces that didn’t immediately demand physical activity.

partly because I'm fascinated by how men and women use public spaces

There's also this ad
Caveats - it's American, it's an ad for a product, there is stirring music
But I feel there's truth to it
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

The piece I linked to is quite interesting, alright, really worth a read, and that ad!

If doping helps improve performance and you can get away with it then it will happen in pro sport.

No one has failed a dope test at a soccer World Cup for 30 years because anti doping in soccer is totally insufficient.

Lots of cyclists got caught doping from late 1990's to early 2010's because cycling had the best anti doping measures, and legislators, the police, public prosecutors, state drugs control e.g. US DEA got involved.
Hardly any cyclists get caught now because the various authorities long gave up caring.

I would conservatively estimate that most elite athletes are doped.

Doping is LEGALLY a criminal offense (sporting fraud) in France, Germany, Italy and Spain not just a sporting one BUT you can't end up in court in UK for being a cheating doper.

Users who are viewing this thread

• G
  • Kermit McDermott
  • chris d
Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Fixity/Meabh McKenna/Black Coral
Bello Bar
Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back