Ireland (5 Viewers)

Have to admit, I’ve never had any interest in sport. It’s almost like I grew up with that part of my brain missing. Was always way more into music and films. My 11 year old son is the total opposite of me. Massively into football. Would play it 24 hours a day if he could. I’ve started to get a little bit more into it because of him and am slowly coming around to the attraction of it. I can definitely see the positives of it for him. He’s got a great circle of friends there because of it.

Also, in terms of whether sport is good or bad. I do see how events like parkrun can be great bonding spaces. There’s a great community in our local one. It’s great in getting people together but avoids that “fuck those people from the next parish” mentality that can crop up in other sports

i've never had a competitive bone in my body, sports wise. i just don't get a thrill from coming first in that context. but i can occasionally be interested by the underlying mechanics of sport (i guess you could call it the game theory of sport).
oddly, i've read multiple books about cycling as a sport, but you could not pay me to watch the tour de france.
like therealjohnny too, there can be a great thrill in watching someone compete at the actual top of their game. but in compilation videos...

This trying to beat yer own personal best regularly for own personal satisfaction thing doesn't appeal to me at all.

Go for a walk or cycle or swim and just enjoy it. Sometimes people from local teams comparing themselves or their mates to elite players can be funny.
"I always played for my local club and wouldn't play for another club!".
Fair enough but Real Madrid and Barcelona never heard of you.

also I gotta add that I'm pretty suspicious of the kind of advertising that says "We want to get 2000 women playing football!" (looking at you Cadbury's)

How about getting 2000 women to do whatever the fuck they want to do?

Agreed there.

I don't think sport is the only way to get girls to see their bodies differently. Yes, it can for some but for others I can see the opposite. There will never be a catch all solution but allowing girls to find that something (sport or otherwise) that makes themselves feel good about themselves and strong is a damn good start.

There are so many different types of societies and cultures (even in just the first world) that add challenges to body image. Different diets (Meditreatain vs American) that would affect growth of the body and overall health of it. If you don't fuel the body correctly, you're not going to have the energy to be active. If you're a poor American eating boxed macaroni and cheese and processed cheap "food" there would be a big difference in your upbringing, stress levels, access, etc. than someone who is a more privileged American that could choose/grow up eating the healthier more expensive food. Or someone who grew up on a Greek Island with a diet of fish and vegetables. City living versus country living. Growing up on a farm and doing chores that require strength which is then embedded in to their upbringing... etc.

Plus women are built to give birth to children and we come in different frames. Men, for the most part are straight up and down at frame level, whereas women have wider hips and breasts. We don't decide this for ourselves. When you look at most women athletes, they are small breasted. Why? Women who have larger breasts don't run because it hurts, so that takes away most sports. Breasts would slow you down swimming, etc. Girls become less active in their teens because they are generally conscious of their bodies developing in early ages and they are often looked at, bullied and judged. Or you go the opposite side, and get tiny gymnasts and ballerinas who have to carefully watch their weight to participate in their sport and forgo purburity and often have terrible relationships with their bodies.

The clothing industry has a lot to answer for as well. Most men can go into a shop and buy a S/M/L or a waist size and generally it's the same across the board. It's not the case for women. A man can say, I want to lose weight and go from a large to a medium and generally, not a problem because the clothes will fit your frame. Breasts cause havoc when trying to by clothes. Either the waist fits and the top doesn't in dresses or vice versa. Or you can button something up but it's baggy in the arms and stomach area. Or it fits your arms but the button seam gapes and nothing fits quite right. I don't care how much sport or exercise one does, the proportions of a female's frame will never change without surgery. One can't go from and hourglass to a rectangular body frame. Or a pear to and apple frame with exercise. One could exercise and feel healthy but active or not, anyone in clothes that don't fit correctly feel uncomfortable with their body while wearing them.

Take Bridgerton, everyone is saying the Irish Actress is very brave for playing the main love interest (and getting undressed of film) and she is fighting back. Rightfully so. If the show was accurate, all the men would all want to be with her and not the thin ones because curvy bodies were deemed more desirable. That said, I think everyone would agree media is shit show for women (and men) these days.

Basically, everyone is different and if we let them find their own strength and stop judging and/or projecting what (the royal we) assume is best for them the better off everyone would be. Although, I did say just the other day that I wish I had the confidence of some of these young girls wearing lycra shorts and crop tops around Ireland. So perhaps the younger generation is fighting back against the media norm? Or maybe it's because lyrca actually stretches and fits all shapes and sizes instead of most other options? I couldn't do it, I'm too institutionalized at this stage. I try my best to wear what I can for my body shape that will make me feel good. Not what's in fashion or for anyone else... just what makes my skin suit comfortably covered.

I would even suspect the fittest athletes even have insecurities about their bodies too.

Agreed there.

I don't think sport is the only way to get girls to see their bodies differently. Yes, it can for some but for others I can see the opposite. There will never be a catch all solution but allowing girls to find that something (sport or otherwise) that makes themselves feel good about themselves and strong is a damn good start.

There are so many different types of societies and cultures (even in just the first world) that add challenges to body image. Different diets (Meditreatain vs American) that would affect growth of the body and overall health of it. If you don't fuel the body correctly, you're not going to have the energy to be active. If you're a poor American eating boxed macaroni and cheese and processed cheap "food" there would be a big difference in your upbringing, stress levels, access, etc. than someone who is a more privileged American that could choose/grow up eating the healthier more expensive food. Or someone who grew up on a Greek Island with a diet of fish and vegetables. City living versus country living. Growing up on a farm and doing chores that require strength which is then embedded in to their upbringing... etc.

Plus women are built to give birth to children and we come in different frames. Men, for the most part are straight up and down at frame level, whereas women have wider hips and breasts. We don't decide this for ourselves. When you look at most women athletes, they are small breasted. Why? Women who have larger breasts don't run because it hurts, so that takes away most sports. Breasts would slow you down swimming, etc. Girls become less active in their teens because they are generally conscious of their bodies developing in early ages and they are often looked at, bullied and judged. Or you go the opposite side, and get tiny gymnasts and ballerinas who have to carefully watch their weight to participate in their sport and forgo purburity and often have terrible relationships with their bodies.

The clothing industry has a lot to answer for as well. Most men can go into a shop and buy a S/M/L or a waist size and generally it's the same across the board. It's not the case for women. A man can say, I want to lose weight and go from a large to a medium and generally, not a problem because the clothes will fit your frame. Breasts cause havoc when trying to by clothes. Either the waist fits and the top doesn't in dresses or vice versa. Or you can button something up but it's baggy in the arms and stomach area. Or it fits your arms but the button seam gapes and nothing fits quite right. I don't care how much sport or exercise one does, the proportions of a female's frame will never change without surgery. One can't go from and hourglass to a rectangular body frame. Or a pear to and apple frame with exercise. One could exercise and feel healthy but active or not, anyone in clothes that don't fit correctly feel uncomfortable with their body while wearing them.

Take Bridgerton, everyone is saying the Irish Actress is very brave for playing the main love interest (and getting undressed of film) and she is fighting back. Rightfully so. If the show was accurate, all the men would all want to be with her and not the thin ones because curvy bodies were deemed more desirable. That said, I think everyone would agree media is shit show for women (and men) these days.

Basically, everyone is different and if we let them find their own strength and stop judging and/or projecting what (the royal we) assume is best for them the better off everyone would be. Although, I did say just the other day that I wish I had the confidence of some of these young girls wearing lycra shorts and crop tops around Ireland. So perhaps the younger generation is fighting back against the media norm? Or maybe it's because lyrca actually stretches and fits all shapes and sizes instead of most other options? I couldn't do it, I'm too institutionalized at this stage. I try my best to wear what I can for my body shape that will make me feel good. Not what's in fashion or for anyone else... just what makes my skin suit comfortably covered.

I would even suspect the fittest athletes even have insecurities about their bodies too.

Just on the part about younger people having more confidence. I was chatting to a younger mate of mine recently who was saying she has a lot more confidence in her body image these days than when she was a teenager and she said a lot of it was down to tik tok and Instagram which I thought was really interesting and surprising. She said that those platforms showed more people of different body types that were comfortable in themselves and people being supportive to each other. Whereas when she was a teenager there was a more fixed mainstream idea of what an attractive person looked like.

I know there’s been studies done on the harmful effects of social media on young people and all and I’m not saying that’s the solution for people’s body confidence issues at all but i did find it really interesting that there was this other perspective for people

Just on the part about younger people having more confidence. I was chatting to a younger mate of mine recently who was saying she has a lot more confidence in her body image these days than when she was a teenager and she said a lot of it was down to tik tok and Instagram which I thought was really interesting and surprising. She said that those platforms showed more people of different body types that were comfortable in themselves and people being supportive to each other. Whereas when she was a teenager there was a more fixed mainstream idea of what an attractive person looked like.

I know there’s been studies done on the harmful effects of social media on young people and all and I’m not saying that’s the solution for people’s body confidence issues at all but i did find it really interesting that there was this other perspective for people
No, I would agree with that too. Younger people do seem more confident due to media and "real" people becoming more "famous" (for lack of a better word) or in the public eye more representing all types of shapes and beauty. It goes both ways, I'm just hoping for more of the healthy shift than the unhealthy one that's been around for decades.

I won't lie and say I don't have issues with my own body but it's nothing sport would help. Gentle exercise, which is paced out helps but not excessive cardio. Most of my issues stem from chronic pain and ill fitting clothes for my shape. Shout out to bands, women with breasts would like to buy your female t-shirts but even the XL is too tight for us! This generally leaves us with a mens M, which is baggy and gives no shape. It's this type of stuff that messes with heads and makes us go into the downward spiral of thinking our bodies need to change to fit the "norm".

No, I would agree with that too. Younger people do seem more confident due to media and "real" people becoming more "famous" (for lack of a better word) or in the public eye more representing all types of shapes and beauty. It goes both ways, I'm just hoping for more of the healthy shift than the unhealthy one that's been around for decades.

I won't lie and say I don't have issues with my own body but it's nothing sport would help. Gentle exercise, which is paced out helps but not excessive cardio. Most of my issues stem from chronic pain and ill fitting clothes for my shape. Shout out to bands, women with breasts would like to buy your female t-shirts but even the XL is too tight for us! This generally leaves us with a mens M, which is baggy and gives no shape. It's this type of stuff that messes with heads and makes us go into the downward spiral of thinking our bodies need to change to fit the "norm".
Ok, I’m guilty here too. I just got S-XL Tshirts printed last time around. I kind of stupidly didn’t realise this was an issue

Ok, I’m guilty here too. I just got S-XL Tshirts printed last time around. I kind of stupidly didn’t realise this was an issue
It’s not you, it’s the companies deciding what is an XL for women with various sized breasts. It’s my personal bugbear. I have so many cool band t-shirts that don’t fit after buying the XL and I’m considered average size.

We got women's t-shirts done when we launched our first album, and they've been sitting in a box in the wardrobe for 19 years. In hindsight the design probably wasn't the greatest
Vintage now. You could make a fortune.

We got women's t-shirts done when we launched our first album, and they've been sitting in a box in the wardrobe for 19 years. In hindsight the design probably wasn't the greatest

ha yeah, the only remaining tshirts from the ones we got done about 11 years ago are the 'youth xl' ladiezzz sizes.

on the plus side, my son now is wearing (a fairly oversized) one.. (he's 6)

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Fixity/Meabh McKenna/Black Coral
Bello Bar
Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back