Ireland (3 Viewers)

- lads, in my experience generally experienced much more minor level violence than girls.
-

are you talking physical violence here? or bullying more generally.

I went to mixed schools all the way up

not sure of your schooling but physical violence between boys was normalized to the extent that very little was done unless some one was battered to the point of hospitalization

and plenty of physical bullies amongst the teachers, but never saw a teacher being physically violent to a girl

@nuke terrorist an awful lot of secondary schools are still gender segregated - maybe even most? At least in the towns I know (Navan, Drogheda, Wexford) most of them are
Just checked, thankfully this isn't the case (unless I looked it up wrong).

524 mixed secondary schools, 95 boys and 119 girls.

are you talking physical violence here? or bullying more generally.

I went to mixed schools all the way up

not sure of your schooling but physical violence between boys was normalized to the extent that very little was done unless some one was battered to the point of hospitalization

and plenty of physical bullies amongst the teachers, but never saw a teacher being physically violent to a girl
I have never seen a man hit a girl - but I know it happens.

Minor level violence between lads doesn't cause much long term trauma in my experience.

Usually when I talk about childhood bullying I almost always mean adults.
It was institutionalised that adults had a lot of unquestioned power over kids ("do what your told", "don't talk back", shouting and name calling, wrongly accusing someone and not apologising and slapping etc. etc.) all of this is bullying.

Growing up I was only friends with kids from school or who lived very close to me. So if I had gone to male only schools girls would have been aliens.

Boys schools are for sports purposes only.
My clever niece just did her leaving cert. There was a convent school less than 1 km from her house and she went there.

the place my niece went to school (mount sackville near castleknock) operates a primary and secondary school.
they announced a few weeks ago that they'd start accepting boys in the primary school in september. bit of a last minute scramble for school places happening in castleknock at the moment i'd say.

(Sports, at the end of the day, is such an incredibly niche area of life (especially at the competitive/professional level) that has way more oxygen and money given to it than it deserves.
I don't really agree with this, sports are one of the finest expressions of humanity. If we didn't have these simulations of competition in our lives we'd be a lot closer to wild animals. Sports having fair rules is wildly important in society.

I'd love to see something like the last hour of school on Friday given up to discussions promoting empathy.

Each week the kids and teacher have a talk about subjects like -
- having immigrant parents
- girls speaking on issues they face
- being an ethnic minority
- having a disability
- being raised in a minority religion

Many children are now thankfully raised in very diverse communities and that benefit them for life, so maybe what I am suggesting has been done already.

you should see the shitshow of a thread on boards about the department of education's plans to teach stuff like that in schools. there was (IIRC) literally one mention of privilege and the mouthbreathers went bananas.

you should see the shitshow of a thread on boards about the department of education's plans to teach stuff like that in schools. there was (IIRC) literally one mention of privilege and the mouthbreathers went bananas.
The biggest problem with bigots is denying facts. They won't accept reality even when the evidence is put in front of them. No sense of reason.

Each week the kids and teacher have a talk about subjects like
Teachers pontificating about stuff makes no difference IMO - why would a random teacher know more about having a disability than a random kid would?

I read some article about a sex ed programme being run in some schools (written by Patrick Freyne iirc) where kids had open classrooms discussions (moderated by a teacher) about sexuality - seemed like a way better model, though the teacher doing the moderation would have to be really good at it, and thinking back on my own teachers from school I'd say they'd have all been fucking terrible at it.

I have never seen a man hit a girl - but I know it happens.

Minor level violence between lads doesn't cause much long term trauma in my experience.

Usually when I talk about childhood bullying I almost always mean adults.
It was institutionalised that adults had a lot of unquestioned power over kids ("do what your told", "don't talk back", shouting and name calling, wrongly accusing someone and not apologising and slapping etc. etc.) all of this is bullying.

Growing up I was only friends with kids from school or who lived very close to me. So if I had gone to male only schools girls would have been aliens.

Boys schools are for sports purposes only.
My clever niece just did her leaving cert. There was a convent school less than 1 km from her house and she went there.
couldn't disagree more.
there have been plenty of people physically and emotionally scarred for life by low level peer violence

You said:
''lads, in my experience generally experienced much more minor level violence than girls.''

And I'm not disagreeing regarding adult bullies, or bullying of/between girls - but I've no idea where you got this impression from.

I don't really agree with this, sports are one of the finest expressions of humanity. If we didn't have these simulations of competition in our lives we'd be a lot closer to wild animals. Sports having fair rules is wildly important in society.
there is nothing fair about sport. if having fair rules is wildly important you'd think folks would be making more of an effort to uphold the rules that currently exist.

couldn't disagree more.
there have been plenty of people physically and emotionally scarred for life by low level peer violence

You said:
''lads, in my experience generally experienced much more minor level violence than girls.''

And I'm not disagreeing regarding adult bullies, or bullying of/between girls - but I've no idea where you got this impression from.
Just my own experience. I saw little bullying from kids and it made little impact. I didn't meet other kids much outside school.
Teachers pontificating about stuff makes no difference IMO - why would a random teacher know more about having a disability than a random kid would?

I read some article about a sex ed programme being run in some schools (written by Patrick Freyne iirc) where kids had open classrooms discussions (moderated by a teacher) about sexuality - seemed like a way better model, though the teacher doing the moderation would have to be really good at it, and thinking back on my own teachers from school I'd say they'd have all been fucking terrible at it.
I mentioned "kids and teacher".
It would be led by kids or possibly a different person with more experience could come in. So yeah - I agree with you.
If things have moved beyond this then my idea is not necessary. A lot of kids just don't know anything except diversity - good on 'em.

It makes me sad that in 2000's that many schools didn't have a teacher that would advocate for consent classes - seemed like a no brainer.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Fixity/Meabh McKenna/Black Coral
Bello Bar
Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back