Ireland (1 Viewer)

There was a man standing on a bridge over the M7 this morning beside a tricolour banner that said 'Ireland for the irish'.
As I was driving underneath I made sure he saw me giving him the finger.
Fucking loser loves racism so much he had to be on a bridge at 0800 to let us all know
People like that are dopes and I see plenty of them online

But they're a consequence of having a fucked up immigration and asylum policy that can't even begin to handle the numbers and an almost non-existent debate on what it is we're doing

Have tent cities all over Dublin and you will get idiots like this on bridges
The problem is the tent cities not the idiots

Telling ourselves "Well, at least I'm not racist like that moron" doesn't solve anything, it just makes us feel better about ourselves

No one seems to be talking about how the come-one-come-all policy is causing real problems. And what problems there are, are the government's fault
We don't actually have a come-one-come-all policy though, do we? We're getting more refugees right now because the UK has gotten so hostile to them, as far as I understand it, and the apparatus of the state is struggling to deal with the extra numbers. That doesn't mean we have a fucked up immigration/asylum policy, does it? Who here actually knows the ins-and-outs of the policy?

We don't actually have a come-one-come-all policy though, do we? We're getting more refugees right now because the UK has gotten so hostile to them, as far as I understand it, and the apparatus of the state is struggling to deal with the extra numbers. That doesn't mean we have a fucked up immigration/asylum policy, does it? Who here actually knows the ins-and-outs of the policy?

Without getting too deep into this, we most certainly do have a fucked-up immigration/asylum policy. And talk of ‘struggling to deal with extra numbers’, fuck off like. That’s the kind of rhetoric that makes people imagine the worst racist shit.

Getting back to the policy bit. Direct Provision was meant to be a temporary measure, but then the years went on and we turned it into the kind of human-rights-abusing ‘deterrent’ so beloved of the right. Most Irish people have no fucking clue what is is, let alone what it’s like for the people stranded there. That’s State policy for the last 20-plus years right there.

Without getting too deep into this, we most certainly do have a fucked-up immigration/asylum policy. And talk of ‘struggling to deal with extra numbers’, fuck off like. That’s the kind of rhetoric that makes people imagine the worst racist shit.

Getting back to the policy bit. Direct Provision was meant to be a temporary measure, but then the years went on and we turned it into the kind of human-rights-abusing ‘deterrent’ so beloved of the right. Most Irish people have no fucking clue what is is, let alone what it’s like for the people stranded there. That’s State policy for the last 20-plus years right there.

And I mean the solution is staring us in the face—build fucking houses—but the powers that be would have you believe that’s an either or, like ‘houses for them and not for us’, that kind of shite talk that everyone knows. It’s an intersectional issue, we all fucking deserve houses!

We essentially do
We incentivised as many Ukrainians as possible to come here
Same with all those destroyed passport lads, just waved on through
People coming in from safe countries and staying
Roderic Gorman's tweet in 8 languages or whatever it was guaranteeing anyone who came a home.

We have implicitly and explicity told people it's a great idea to choose us over other places.

It's way more than the Stop The Boats or Rwanda or whatever disincentivising the UK is doing.

And we process asylum slowly. And send almost no one back.
And everyone's miserable. Very few that come here have a real chance to succeed - which is the real promise and benefit of immigration.
And the shitheads have grist for their dopey mill.

The govt answer is to build more units/homes/spaces, which is also the answer for the housing crisis. Not going great on either.
The more people that see it as a sproblem with no working solution, the more they're gonna listen to fuckheads, and the more lads we have on bridges.

It seems kind of fucked up. But we all look at things differently.

I should say that I'm having a particulalry busy day at work

SO that usually brings this kind of 'content'

What if instaead of doing my job, I solve immgration?

Super brain

this would be fun - making rents charged a matter of public record.

"The leaking of parts of the report has put the Government on the back foot over housing in advance of a vital election period, with charges that the housing crisis in Ireland has been driven by “ineffective decision making and reactive policy making”."

Not sure where to put this, but this is good

Sentiment is great, if decades overdue, but unless it's backed by actual action, like stopping the US military using Shannon to transport weapons and divesting from Isreali companies, it won't achieve much.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

this would be fun - making rents charged a matter of public record.

"The leaking of parts of the report has put the Government on the back foot over housing in advance of a vital election period, with charges that the housing crisis in Ireland has been driven by “ineffective decision making and reactive policy making”."

Every decision the housing minister has made has made the thing worse.
Disastrous handling of the situation unless
Your motive is higher rental incomes for You and your landlord mates

Every decision the housing minister has made has made the thing worse.
Disastrous handling of the situation unless
Your motive is higher rental incomes for You and your landlord mates

It finds that although Ireland spends among the most in Europe on housing, it has some of the worst outcomes.

This would be funny if it didn't apply to Health and a bunch more things

Hi, we're Ireland. Europe's fuckups. Please like us.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Darsombra (Kosmische Drone Prog)(US)
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Gig For Gaza w/ ØXN, Junior Brother, Pretty Happy & Mohammad Syfkhan
Vicar Street
58-59 Thomas St, The Liberties, Dublin 8, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back