Ireland (4 Viewers)

Unpopular opinions: the French can be an unfriendly, arrogant lot.
fairly certain i've mentioned it here before, but i know a couple of gaelgoirs who hate how irish is taught in secondary school; it's taught as an 'intelligence' test, not a means of communication.
i remember our irish teacher at LC apologising to us for the sheer shitness of some of the prescribed prose we had to learn; it was embarrassingly bad.
another friend does not have fond memories of engaging with the department of education about curriculum reform in another subject. their main ideal is stasis, seemingly.

Exhibit A: Scothscéalta

I always found it crazy that a foreign language is not taught through the language itself. Maybe it has changed in the meantime, but even up to Leaving Cert everything would be explained through English. I think if the class was conducted completely in the language, it'd be much more effective.

Also I think foreign language learning should begin much earlier when kid's brains are more receptive to it. Starting at 12/13 is too late.

fairly certain i've mentioned it here before, but i know a couple of gaelgoirs who hate how irish is taught in secondary school; it's taught as an 'intelligence' test, not a means of communication
I did Latin for the inter cert and Irish nowadays is taught in a very similar fashion - not as something you might use for communication, rather a part of your cultural heritage

Ah c'mon egg!
You didn't address me other points.
Yer aulder than me.
Dude, you're like someone giving advice on how to improve the menu in a restaurant you went to 30 years ago. Things have changed! They have transition year now - a whole year of school with no focus on exams. They have consent classes

UTM gives out about school a fair bit and I usually remind him that he's had 5 times that amount of time since school to get the education he wants, if he wanted it.

People like having an excuse to give out.

Dude, you're like someone giving advice on how to improve the menu in a restaurant you went to 30 years ago. Things have changed! They have transition year now - a whole year of school with no focus on exams. They have consent classes
I did transisition year. It was a lot closer to how I would like to have been treated. I did have to do some exams that year.
I put far more effort into it than Inter Cert year (Which wouldn't have been hard).

Consent classes only became mandatory as a result of MeToo from what I was told.

I think the way I suggested history classes work would be much better than what I experienced.
Kids left school not understanding how capitalism worked.

I honestly think empowering kids with the knowledge that people are not allowed to mess them over is the next step.

If I go on about being mistreated a the school by adults it's because things were obviously wrong and thankfully some things have changed.

Why wasn't it like this all along then?

The teacher's unions should strongly consider issuing a statement of regret disassociating the current generation from the corporal punishment generation.

If I did badly at school and you (egg) and your partner and girls thrived - that's not the teachers fault.
I just wasn't up to it.
But if people do well in my experience it is overwhelmingly down to the kids.

Anything else?
Just to say. egg - your experience of school was very different from mine and I'm glad it got the best out of you and set you up for a rewarding life.

But when I speak I usually go on about the discipline and poor communication - as a bit of a loner who loved being at home alone.
I honestly think I have a great life now and secondary school didn't help me achieve that.

Regardless of anything else I am allowed have an opinion now - something that was not well respected in school.

Just to say. egg - your experience of school was very different from mine and I'm glad it got the best out of you and set you up for a rewarding life
Well thanks, but I think you're picking me up a bit wrong. My school probably wasn't all that much different to yours - teachers lording it over the kids, few of them with any real skill at teaching, and some of them abusive (physically and sexually)

fairly certain i've mentioned it here before, but i know a couple of gaelgoirs who hate how irish is taught in secondary school; it's taught as an 'intelligence' test, not a means of communication.
i remember our irish teacher at LC apologising to us for the sheer shitness of some of the prescribed prose we had to learn; it was embarrassingly bad.
another friend does not have fond memories of engaging with the department of education about curriculum reform in another subject. their main ideal is stasis, seemingly.
I'm from the Gaeltacht and it baffled me that Irish, at my Irish-speaking school was taught so poorly. We'd have the Irish-speaking teacher reading out of books and us Irish-speaking students furiously scribbling down what he was saying, as that was what he had to put in our essays to pass the exams. There was no room for creativity or deviation from the prescribed"correct" way to write. It still baffles me.

I'm from the Gaeltacht and it baffled me that Irish, at my Irish-speaking school was taught so poorly. We'd have the Irish-speaking teacher reading out of books and us Irish-speaking students furiously scribbling down what he was saying, as that was what he had to put in our essays to pass the exams. There was no room for creativity or deviation from the prescribed"correct" way to write. It still baffles me.
Wow! Didn't realise it was so bad even in Irish-speaking schools :eek: Maybe he was just a shit teacher? Did you get an A in Irish?

Did anyone else here do their LC in 1994 and remember prescribed prose called 'an duchasach deirneach' about FZD1250 and BZD1248 falling in love in a dystopian future society (which was forbidden because their names didn't match)? And then finding this paradise called 'Ireland'? It was pure fucking muck.

I did my leaving in 94 but I just about scraped through pass Irish, don't remember the name or theme of even a single poem/story/other. That sci-fi one sounds alright. I used to blame my teachers for my poor Irish but really I never listened to a word they said

Did anyone else here do their LC in 1994 and remember prescribed prose called 'an duchasach deirneach' about FZD1250 and BZD1248 falling in love in a dystopian future society (which was forbidden because their names didn't match)? And then finding this paradise called 'Ireland'? It was pure fucking muck.

97 LC honors. Teaching medieval irish poetry to class which had such a rudimentary grasp of the modern language that they had to rote learn whole essays.

I rebelled at having to learn off essays, as opposed to just coming up with some bullshit story and writing it- did not go down well 'gramadach ufasach!!!' scrawled across every one when it came back.

Teaching style being that of endless negativity and criticism. Failed me in the mocks.

I got a C1 in the actual exam largely on the strength of my spoken Irish, and ability to game the 'stair litriocht' section.

Well thanks, but I think you're picking me up a bit wrong. My school probably wasn't all that much different to yours - teachers lording it over the kids, few of them with any real skill at teaching, and some of them abusive (physically and sexually)
Aww I get it egg.
It affected me differently is what I meant. You dealt with it well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back