Ireland (2 Viewers)

Why have journalists suddenly started referring to the Central Bank building as “iconic”? It’s ugly as sin and a blot on the Dublin landscape, it deserves its Krispy Kreme.
Iconic = thing they can remember from being young.

I agree on it's attractiveness though, really don't care for brutalist architecture, in Dublin anyway. Bus Aras, phibsborough shopping centre, park house on the north circular, all vile looking.

The original 1950 Busaras was decent wasn't it? It's just been the additions over the years. You can see the same happening with Connolly, just all these different styles clamped together.

Edit: here's a piece on it

The original 1950 Busaras was decent wasn't it? It's just been the additions over the years. You can see the same happening with Connolly, just all these different styles clamped together.

Edit: here's a piece on it

The exterior is pretty much as it was when constructed i think- expcet new darker glass. Interiors have been modified quite a bit.. I think its perception also suffers somewhat from the amount of traffic around it and the general frantic nature of being in and around it

The exterior is pretty much as it was when constructed i think- expcet new darker glass. Interiors have been modified quite a bit.. I think its perception also suffers somewhat from the amount of traffic around it and the general frantic nature of being in and around it
For sure, I just feel stress and think of dirty shabbiness. I can barely think what it looks like from the outside, it all seems so curtailed by the buildings around it.

specials.jpg

What about the Exo building? Looks like slightly glassier Hawkins House to me
View attachment 16136
All these glass buildings are a fucking abomination. Cheap auld garbage. We want brickwork. But thats never gonna happen.

Give us some of this..

800px-Edificio_Telefonica_Madrid.jpg

Also..I quite like Krispy Kremes so I'm down with whatevs

i don't think the use of the word 'iconic' is new either. and iconic and ugly aren't contradictions anyway?
I never said they were but when you ask someone to imagine a distinctive view that is recognisably Dublin - how many people will say the Central Bank versus something like the Spire (banal but big street sculpture), the Poolbeg chimneys (functional but strangely engaging), TCD (classic old architecture), or whatever?

I never said they were but when you ask someone to imagine a distinctive view that is recognisably Dublin - how many people will say the Central Bank versus something like the Spire (banal but big street sculpture), the Poolbeg chimneys (functional but strangely engaging), TCD (classic old architecture), or whatever?

Cleary's clock, though that may only be iconic to culchies of a certain vintage.

Or IIRC Pete, waiting for his future wife to turn up.

Cleary's clock, though that may only be iconic to culchies of a certain vintage.

Or IIRC Pete, waiting for his future wife to turn up.
Do culchies even know it exists? I consider it one of THE most Dublin of Dublin icons

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

All these glass buildings are a fucking abomination. Cheap auld garbage. We want brickwork. But thats never gonna happen.

Give us some of this..

800px-Edificio_Telefonica_Madrid.jpg

Also..I quite like Krispy Kremes so I'm down with whatevs
Architects love the ol' natural light in tehir buildings

They are hooked on it
It's reefer madness, but for windows

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back