Ireland vs. France (1 Viewer)

why is a replay such an abhorrent notion to people? so every time cheating occurs to give a win to the other team we just say "thaaaaaat's football!" and toddle off? fuck that.

13859_1281777729905_1393945158_30826536_8113376_n.jpg

why is a replay such an abhorrent notion to people? so every time cheating occurs to give a win to the other team we just say "thaaaaaat's football!" and toddle off? fuck that.

Would we grant them a replay if the role was reversed? No.

Did we grant Georgia a replay when we got a peno that clearly hit your man's shoulder? No.

Talk of a replay is bollocks. As is the vilifacation of Henry. Suddenly we have become imbued with this Corinthian spirit where everyone should be calling decisions for the ref, and owning up to misdemeanors. That's not football, sorry.

We didn't take our chances - end of story. Bah.

true.

I maintain Ireland are better off losing this way than losing fair and square.

didn't Leeds once have a champions league game replayed because of refereeing 'irregularities'?

This is entertaining - http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/8367913.stm

in any other sport, this would be complete bullshit, the culture around cheating in football is a disgrace. sure i wouldn't want to give other teams a replay, cause i want ireland to win, but deep down i know it would be the right thing to do in such situations. And it's not down to me or any other fans to decide, it should be a respectable ruling body of the sport that should be FIFA that barrages us with talk of fair play every year and gives awards to people every year for it yet continues to let shit like this happen. it's not right and people shouldn't settle for it a anymore.

true.

I maintain Ireland are better off losing this way than losing fair and square.

didn't Leeds once have a champions league game replayed because of refereeing 'irregularities'?

This is entertaining - http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/8367913.stm

It was replayed because Stuttgart made 3 substitutions when the max allowed was 2. Technical error rather than just missing something that happened in general play. It's not a precedent.

And, as Franco says, we got a very dodgy peno against Georgia. You can't start replaying games because of bad decisions or nearly every game would be replayed. AND THEN WHAT?!?!?!

in any other sport, this would be complete bullshit, the culture around cheating in football is a disgrace. sure i wouldn't want to give other teams a replay, cause i want ireland to win, but deep down i know it would be the right thing to do in such situations. And it's not down to me or any other fans to decide, it should be a respectable ruling body of the sport that should be FIFA that barrages us with talk of fair play every year and gives awards to people every year for it yet continues to let shit like this happen. it's not right and people shouldn't settle for it a anymore.

There's a 'cultue of cheating' in all sport. It's called human nature - people do everything they can to win. It just gets made more of a big deal in football cos it's the most popular game in the world.

The problem is that nobody really gives a fuck until it happens to them and then it's just legitimately perceived as self-regarding sour grapes. If Ireland fans had been leading a charge for fair play and video technology/goal line officials over the last few years then we could legitimately kick up a shitstorm but we've not so today we can have our national day of tantrum and then we can shut the fuck up with diginity

There's a 'cultue of cheating' in all sport. It's called human nature - people do everything they can to win. It just gets made more of a big deal in football cos it's the most popular game in the world.

If only footballers were more like cyclists. I mean cricketers. I mean jockies. I mean olympians. I mean the special olympics Spanish basketball team.

The problem is that nobody really gives a fuck until it happens to them and then it's just legitimately perceived as self-regarding sour grapes. If Ireland fans had been leading a charge for fair play and video technology/goal line officials over the last few years then we could legitimately kick up a shitstorm but we've not so today we can have our national day of tantrum and then we can shut the fuck up with diginity

indeed.its time to start building bridges.

if we'd played like that in the first leg, there'd be no need for this. the damage wasn't done last night, it was DONE IN SAIPAN!!! leave henry alone, it's keano you wnat to blame.

replay has happened before tho, although you could argue a technical msitake is different from missing something:

http://www.fifa.com/worldcup/archive/germany2006/news/newsid=27212.html

Someone must have shown the FAI this thread.

some lad in the FAI said:
"In 2005, the Bureau of the FIFA World Cup organising committee reached a decision to invalidate the result of a World Cup qualification match between Uzbekistan and Bahrain on the basis of a 'technical error by the referee of the match'.

"The Football Association of Ireland is hoping that FIFA and its Disciplinary Committee will, on behalf of football fans world-wide, act in a similar fashion so that the standards of fair play and integrity can be protected."

http://www.breakingnews.ie/sport/eymheysnqlcw/rss2/

A lot of the other major sporting bodies have done a lot more to tighten up the rules though, you definitely don't see the level of cheating and costly decisions in other games.

I am sick of seeing the outcome of games being decided by poor calls that could easily be avoided. I also think the way that players get away with speaking and acting toward refs is ridiculous.

if we'd played like that in the first leg, there'd be no need for this. the damage wasn't done last night, it was DONE IN SAIPAN!!! leave henry alone, it's keano you wnat to blame.

Nah, this goes all the way back to Strongbow whose name was derived from the french words Strong and Bow which literally translate as 'cheat the Irish with the hands'

There won't be a replay, for a load of reasons.. If FIFA allowed a replay they'd be setting a precedent for every team that was a victim of the officials missing some incident to call for a replay. Plus there's logistically no way it could happen in time, the draw for the finals is in 2 weeks, the players are back on club duty, etc.. What it may contribute towards is fast-tracking the extra goal-line officials thing that they're testing in the Europa League through, or possibly getting them to reconsider video replay usage. Too late to make any difference to us, but that's life.

I hate to dwell on the handball thing further as if it was the only thing that happened in the game, but the more you watch this little clip the more Henry's claims that it was unintentional ring false - he's clearly sticking his arm out to prevent the ball crossing the line:
http://i48.tinypic.com/24exhy8.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Fixity/Meabh McKenna/Black Coral
Bello Bar
Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back