Ireland vs. France (1 Viewer)

The clear despair felt by Trap at the end, and by Tardelli, shows that these guys really, really want to win and you could see that in the eyes of the players. I reject the RTE panel's view that the players took it upon themselves to organise themselves and play positively. Do they remember Staunton? Or the Kerr years, for that matter.

But anyway, John O'Shea was actually pretty great. Duff was the best I've seen him in years. Keane was great, as was Dunne. And these guys all have at least another tournament in them.

Negative play was hardly an option, given we needed to win the game and a draw would have done France.

The panel banging on about S Reid was pretty annoying, given that he's only appeared in one game since injury, and that against lower level opposition.

We should easily make the Euros in 2012, given that there'll be 24 teams in it, pretty much meaning that finishing in the top half of a group would result in qualification.

As far as I'm concerned, last night's 'loss' is just another bit of concrete evidence that modern football isn't decided by teams playing football and having a go at each other, but rather it is decided by which team is the 'bigger team' that will attract more viewers and thus more revenue for FIFA and UEFA.
I've been saying this shit for pretty much two years now, with all the seedings for the Champions League, the World Cup, the FIFA rankings, etc etc etc etc. The whole fucking system is fixed.
The reason they won't introduce video referees or goal-line technology is not because of 'how it will affect the game', it is because with technology like that in place, FIFA and UEFA couldn't tell their linesmen and referee to let certain decisions go the way of the "Big Team".
It's about one thing only, money. Fuck FIFA, and fuck UEFA. I refuse to detract from this view until proper changes are made, with technology being introduced and stupid fucking seeding systems being abolished.
In this year's World Cup, I will be supporting (in no particular order) Slovenia, any African teams, Slovakia, and ANYONE THAT PLAYS FRANCE (except England obviously, in which case I'd just have to not watch the match and hope both teams are wiped out by a terrorist attack).

If anyone is interested you can complain on the FIFA site. I did, for all the good it might do. Not just the match last night, but in general big games are being ruined by poor reffing and bad decisions. They have to do something on it at this stage. One thing that really annoys me is that Fifa and Uefa didn't mention anything in there match reports about the french goal.

As far as I'm concerned, last night's 'loss' is just another bit of concrete evidence that modern football isn't decided by teams playing football and having a go at each other, but rather it is decided by which team is the 'bigger team' that will attract more viewers and thus more revenue for FIFA and UEFA.
I've been saying this shit for pretty much two years now, with all the seedings for the Champions League, the World Cup, the FIFA rankings, etc etc etc etc. The whole fucking system is fixed.
The reason they won't introduce video referees or goal-line technology is not because of 'how it will affect the game', it is because with technology like that in place, FIFA and UEFA couldn't tell their linesmen and referee to let certain decisions go the way of the "Big Team".
It's about one thing only, money. Fuck FIFA, and fuck UEFA. I refuse to detract from this view until proper changes are made, with technology being introduced and stupid fucking seeding systems being abolished.
In this year's World Cup, I will be supporting (in no particular order) Slovenia, any African teams, Slovakia, and ANYONE THAT PLAYS FRANCE (except England obviously, in which case I'd just have to not watch the match and hope both teams are wiped out by a terrorist attack).

any truth to the rumour that Simon Cowell now owns FIFA and UEFA?

i find that big games are decided as much by players as by officials. after all, it was only moronic defending from paul mcshame that lead to this travesty. and a couple of woeful misses in good positions by some sons of eire. nothing will change, and neither should it. this conspiracy theory bollocks is embarrassing for all of us. time to move on. i for one will still be watching the world cup and loving every kick of it, as i always do, regardless of whether we're there or not.

i find that big games are decided as much by players as by officials. after all, it was only moronic defending from paul mcshame that lead to this travesty. and a couple of woeful misses in good positions by some sons of eire. nothing will change, and neither should it. this conspiracy theory bollocks is embarrassing for all of us. time to move on. i for one will still be watching the world cup and loving every kick of it, as i always do, regardless of whether we're there or not.

Absolutely. The football fan who needs Ireland to be at major championships to enjoy them has a hard time.
But this is the day after the night before. I think it's fair enough to get the recriminations out of the system. The replay stuff is rubbish, of course.

Absolutely. The football fan who needs Ireland to be at major championships to enjoy them has a hard time.
But this is the day after the night before. I think it's fair enough to get the recriminations out of the system. The replay stuff is rubbish, of course.
too right, i almost threw out all the brie.

almost....

Talk of a replay is bollocks. As is the vilifacation of Henry. Suddenly we have become imbued with this Corinthian spirit where everyone should be calling decisions for the ref, and owning up to misdemeanors. That's not football, sorry.

We didn't take our chances - end of story. Bah.

Former France international David Ginola on BBC Radio 5 Live: "I'm very embarrassed by the situation. I don't feel very proud to be French this morning. The Irish played very well and they deserved to go through as much as France, maybe more. I'm very surprised Fifa haven't mentioned anything about it - the whole world saw the handball. This is a pure injustice. Everyone in France, the press and everyone, says there should be a replay."

Former France international David Ginola on BBC Radio 5 Live: "I'm very embarrassed by the situation. I don't feel very proud to be French this morning. The Irish played very well and they deserved to go through as much as France, maybe more. I'm very surprised Fifa haven't mentioned anything about it - the whole world saw the handball. This is a pure injustice. Everyone in France, the press and everyone, says there should be a replay."

hasnt he got beef?

le sulk diving for peno, little diarra fouling all night and henry handballing twice. wankers. that is all.

Talk of a replay is bollocks. As is the vilifacation of Henry. Suddenly we have become imbued with this Corinthian spirit where everyone should be calling decisions for the ref, and owning up to misdemeanors. That's not football, sorry.

We didn't take our chances - end of story. Bah.

Agreed.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Fixity/Meabh McKenna/Black Coral
Bello Bar
Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back