Ireland squad for the Bulgaria game (1 Viewer)

will keith andrews now switch from right back at blackburn to centre mid with ireland? :rolleyes: at least whelan seems to have played a bit recently for stoke.

Whelan was credited with turning Stoke's season around on 5 Live the other day by a couple of journalists who've been covering the Potters all season. Pulis has picked him consistently since the New Year they said, leading to Stoke not just relying on the human sling to create chances. Fingers crossed he can step it up for Ireland.

Just saw the Bulgaria squad now too. Petrov, Bojinov and Berbatov are all included:

Bulgaria Squad : Dimitar Ivankov (Bursaspor), Nikolay Mihaylov (Twente Enschede); Elin Topuzakov (Hapoel Tel Aviv), Igor Tomasic (Maccabi Tel Aviv), Iliyan Stoyanov (Sanfreche), Zahari Sirakov (Amkar Perm); Stilian Petrov (Aston Villa), Stanislav Angelov (Energie Cottbus), Dimitar Telkiyski (Hapoel Tel Aviv), Velizar Dimitrov (Metalurg Donetsk), Blagoy Georgiev (Terek Grozny), Martin Petrov (Manchester City); Dimitar Berbatov (Manchester United), Dimitar Rangelov (Energie Cottbus), Valeri Bojinov (Manchester City), Valeri Domovchiyski (Hertha Berlin), Dimitar Makriev (Ashdod).

That's an even weaker squad in fairness.
How many balls has Bojinov kicked this season, 10?

True. I saw Bojinov when he came on for the last few minutes against West Ham at Upton Park last month and he looked as if he'd been eating pies to try and get fit. Petrov has been out for most of the season too, but the thoughts of him (or anyone with two legs for that matter) running at McShane is terrifying.

Long ball to the new plank is bound to be Trap's tactic for this match with Doyle looking as if he'll definitely be out.

000251d810dr.jpg

Injuries to hand Best his Irish debut

Wednesday, 27 May 2009 08:28
Coventry striker Leon Best is set to make his Republic of Ireland debut this week following injuries to Giovanni Trapattoni's squad ahead of the friendly against Nigeria on Friday.
Reading forward Kevin Doyle is out of the clash at Craven Cottage and the World Cup qualifier against Bulgaria, while Caleb Folan has gone for a scan on his knee and is expected to return to the fold ahead of the trip to Sofia.
'Caleb will be okay after the rest, and on Monday he will be with us,' Trapattoni said.

'I also have Leon Best. He is a different player but he is a similar build and can play that way.'

I'd love to know what Trap's trying to communicate in that photo. Volare? The world's biggest violin? Suggestions?

Republic of Ireland team to face Nigeria: Shay Given (Manchester City); Kevin Foley (Wolves), Richard Dunne (Manchester City), Sean St. Ledger (Preston North End), Eddie Nolan (Preston North End); Damien Duff (Newcastle United)/Aiden McGeady (Celtic), Liam Miller (QPR), Keith Andrews (Blackburn Rovers), Liam Lawrence (Stoke City); Robbie Keane (Tottenham Hotspur), Leon Best (Coventry City).
Dean Kiely walked out of the squad after being told that he wouldn't feature, so I won't be seeing him tomorrow night.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Nice simple passing move for the Ireland goal.. Fairly turgid match mostly, to be expected with the end-of-season feel and so many new players I suppose. Our best performances were from Andrews, Miller (!), Keane & Dunne I thought. St Ledger did well, solid and reliable looking, probably the most likely of the new boys to slot into the first team. Best looked okay but hardly got the ball at his feet at all, Westwood did grand with the bread and butter stuff but didn't really get tested. Foley & Lawrence were probably a bit below par but they're both players I'd have in the squad. Lawrence looks to have less pace than Hunt but a more intelligent game.

YouTube - Nigeria Vs Ireland International Friendly May 29 2009 HQ

Our best performances were from Andrews, Miller (!), Keane & Dunne I thought. St Ledger did well, solid and reliable looking, probably the most likely of the new boys to slot into the first team. Best looked okay but hardly got the ball at his feet at all, Westwood did grand with the bread and butter stuff but didn't really get tested. Foley & Lawrence were probably a bit below par but they're both players I'd have in the squad. Lawrence looks to have less pace than Hunt but a more intelligent game.

Was at this game and I agree about Miller, he looked really good on the ball, but it was hard to gauge his performance as it was a fairly low key affair. Best looked pretty decent too but on a worrying note our first choice right back, Paul McShane, again underlined just what a poor player he is. Awful.

Just heard that Shay Given is doubtful for Saturday's game. Kieren Westwood is getting married this weekend and Dean Kiely has walked out of the squad leaving us with Wayne Henderson and Colin Doyle, of Grimsby Town in League Two and Birmingham's bench respectively, as cover. Not good.

I wouldn't worry. Shay will be fine. Takes a hell of a lot to keep him out of an Ireland game. And Henderson's a decent keeper who played for us not too long ago.

Yeah one of the news bulletins said that Given had a minor problem and was sitting out training, Keane too, though they reckoned it was just a precaution and they'd both be fine to start on Saturday.. Hope so, cause we're fucked without Given! The journos at the training camp are saying that St Ledger is looking likely to start alongside Dunne, with O'Shea pushed out to the right side.. I'd be happy with that. Also looking like Trap might go with Hunt starting instead of McGeady, which I'm not so sure about, though he did do well in Bari.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Landless: 'Lúireach' Album Launch (Glitterbeat Records)
The Unitarian Church, Stephen's Green
Dublin Unitarian Church, 112 St Stephen's Green, Dublin, D02 YP23, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back