Interesting tat (1 Viewer)

I think the post war re-purposing sounds legit, but a tank engine designed to move 20 tons of steel in the least efficient way possible sounds like overkill to me - i do think maybe a generator or even recon boat engine?

Pics ftw.

I think the post war re-purposing sounds legit, but a tank engine designed to move 20 tons of steel in the least efficient way possible sounds like overkill to me - i do think maybe a generator or even recon boat engine?

Pics ftw.

A barge engine, at least when on a working barge, kind of only needs to be slightly better and cheaper than a horse on the towpath. As I understand it. And I guess in France at the time they were on rations and dieing of Spanish flu and whatnot. They used what was there I'm guessing.

My boat weighs much more than 20 tons. And I guess once upon a time it carried grain or aggregate*, so would have been very heavy.

*It has a massive hold which is now our bedrooms, except for the cool boaty looking rooms at fore and aft.

If I go into that engine room and see something like "Leyland 1994" stamped in steel I'm going to be well pissed off.

The googles tell me a horse peaks at around 15hp (I know, i know) while a sherman tank has around 400hp.

My main metric for this though is a late night hobby me and mate used to have of yeeting massive boats about the places using the ropes when we were drunk. Like one drunk man can move a boat.

A lower, larger wwi tank engine with a different transmission might be what you have. They made a load of mk I tanks that were pretty much obsolete by the time the war ended if a French history of tanks series on Netflix is to be believed.

Cleaned the bayonet up yesterday - if any of yis nerds happen to be down with wwi unit armourers marking I might be able to tell where this came from!
IMG_7280.jpeg IMG_7281.jpeg IMG_7282.jpeg

This was my thought.

I'll enquire with historical nerd friend. You know, because I'm not like that, I'm hip and/or cool.

I have a bayonet from this Chassepot - Wikipedia I doubt if it was ever actually used they were mostly made for what was a minor enough conflict and are not to rare or expensive they have a pretty long blade 22.5".

A lower, larger wwi tank engine with a different transmission might be what you have. They made a load of mk I tanks that were pretty much obsolete by the time the war ended if a French history of tanks series on Netflix is to be believed.

Cleaned the bayonet up yesterday - if any of yis nerds happen to be down with wwi unit armourers marking I might be able to tell where this came from!
View attachment 18777View attachment 18778View attachment 18779
wilkinson sword

nice

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Landless: 'Lúireach' Album Launch (Glitterbeat Records)
The Unitarian Church, Stephen's Green
Dublin Unitarian Church, 112 St Stephen's Green, Dublin, D02 YP23, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back