if things don't improve... (1 Viewer)

Well, banning people is a nice idea but I don't really know where it will lead.

Adding a "bored board" or else a "music only" board seems to me the only solution....

Problem is music / serious chat become nonsense so easily, but at least threads would have to BEGIN in the right tone.......?

?;??
i]Originally posted by sparse-icus [/i]
would it be possible for you to limit the amount of posts a person does in a day or week, therefore making people think before they post.

I can see so much wrong with this suggestion already, but things must be done.

Also I am aware that I have one of the highest posts per day average, but Bob Quinn has more (hehe).
[/QUOTE]

nah limiting posts sucks

another board seems to be the best idea.. but I suspect everyone will hang out on the Bullshit board and the music board will be ghost town... or mybe I'll be proved wrong.... I hope so!!

"somebody" has 40 posts on their average...

Originally posted by Pantone247

yes Ian, I know, but none of them are posting a fraction of what they used to...
and its a drop of piss in the ocean compared to the banal rantings of some individuals there

I'm afraid I din't have enought free time in work to "pay attention' to every post that goes up here.

ooooooooo (said in that sarkey way a younger sister might do)

I think your locking of threads has been very effective Pete. But you obviously don't want to keep doing that.

I think if there was a reason things got out of hand, it's because attention was directed towards attention seekers. When you give out about someone being an asshole, they react by attacking the board more. If you slag off someone insecure for being dumb, they will come back for more.

I think that a temporary measure could be simply to adopt a policy whereby you ignore abusive people. It HAS worked in the past. Haven't you noticed, certain people have packed up shop?

If people continue to be abusive, lock threads. Banning people could work, but they could simply set up a new account - so maybe make them submit an e-mail and home address when they register, so that you (Pete) can track who they are at least. People are abusive on the Internet out of cowardice usually, and if they think you know who they are they won't do it.

The other problem is the silliness. Everyon here is at least a little bit silly: I can only speak for myself. I'm infantile, no question. Rumpus will vouch for my penchant for bawdiness and scatalogica. I like to slag and be slagged. I also like it when conversation is spicy, sexual, funny, irreverant, and yes, silly. And you know what? I think everyone here does. But I also enjoy intelligent conversation about films, books, politics, sport, social issues and of course music, lots of music. Thumped continues to be a musical education for me. Musical instruments, music technology, music business, new albums out, what's going on in the music scene, gigs, it's all great stuff and I can't get enough of it. But I'd hate to lose the shite talk alongside it. A bit of this and a bit of that is what makes this place cool.

If a "bored board" is the only way to go, then fine. Or if a site-wide cutting down on shite talk is what is necessary then I'll join you all in curtailing my sense of humour. But if you ask me, the people we miss most are the most irreverant and subversive ones.

I miss the old guard too, but we can't just expect them to waltz back if we suddenly "get serious". As far as I can remember, they left well before this shite started anyway.

So how about you gather your henchmen Pete - Pantone, Herv, Dudley, Egg - and give them the rights to lock threads. They can be the Jedis to your Yoda (ah shite I was doing so well). A bit of iron-fisted dictatorship will do some good, and it doesn't have to last forever.

Originally posted by snakybus

I think if there was a reason things got out of hand, it's because attention was directed towards attention seekers. When you give out about someone being an asshole, they react by attacking the board more. If you slag off someone insecure for being dumb, they will come back for more.

I think that a temporary measure could be simply to adopt a policy whereby you ignore abusive people. It HAS worked in the past. Haven't you noticed, certain people have packed up shop?

i have said this before and i believe it's the key to a better board.i haven't seen 'the boys' in a while now.Snakybus is right about limiting what we can and cannot say.And,it's not just music thats of interest to people here is it?

If we talked solely about music the board would seem up it's own arse all the time,with opinions flying round the place and no wit or humour to keep it on the ground.

As regards the bored at work board,i think it's definitely worth a go,if only for a trial period.Think of it this way,there are over 700 members on thumped,the vast majority of whom never post any messages.They shouldn't have to wade through the ramblings of 20-30 posters,should they?

Rumpus will vouch for my penchant for bawdiness and scatalogica

Much to my misfortune I herby vouch, but don't be getting all stephen fry on my ass (oops), what you mean is your addiction to actin the feckin maggot ye dirty bowsey!

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back