holy hell! rep has disappeared (1 Viewer)

Who actually thought it was a popularity contest?

Who actually thought it was a circle jerk? A bunch of people who don't know each other very well (or at all) bigging up each other? For the sake of it? Some of you really think that? Really?

Actually, I did. That's why I started posting on this board. Because I wanted to be popular and wank other people off online and be wanked by them. Because I knew that no-one on this board was having a laugh, had a sense of humour or was on here for a bit of freedom and fun. I knew that instead of having their tongue in their cheek they had it up someone else's hole. Because I knew that anyone I've ever repped or been repped by felt the same way I did.

well maybe 'circle jerk' was a little extreme, but them friday rep threads totally went against the whole idea of a merit based reputation system.... like, what's the point? Why keep it going so people could leave semi-anonymous insults?

Actually, I did. That's why I started posting on this board. Because I wanted to be popular and wank other people off online and be wanked by them. Because I knew that no-one on this board was having a laugh, had a sense of humour or was on here for a bit of freedom and fun. I knew that instead of having their tongue in their cheek they had it up someone else's hole. Because I knew that anyone I've ever repped or been repped by felt the same way I did.

Aw, I can't tell if you're agreeing with me or being sarcastic or anything!

I had said ages ago that the rep thing was becoming a monster....I mean it just snowballed......At the rate of we say Lalas rep rise it would've being bigger then an ungoverned Chinese population count.

I had said ages ago that the rep thing was becoming a monster....I mean it just snowballed......At the rate of we say Lalas rate rise it would've being bigger then an ungoverned Chinese population count.

that's also true. it's inherently flawed - a single long term user with (say) 20,000 rep points to award (or deduct) could completely wipe out the rep awarded by a dozen other people. something's not right there.

that's also true. it's inherently flawed - a single long term user with (say) 20,000 rep points to award (or deduct) could completely wipe out the rep awarded by a dozen other people. something's not right there.
Rep gerrymandering!

It's been said before so I'll say it again. The friday rep threads too the piss out of the system because it was inherently a flawed and silly system.

Merit-based awards can't work on something like Thumped. What is a merit-worthy post? what's a good post? what does a high rep say about a poster? There may be a lot of common attitudes on thumped and shared interests, but to suggest that every poster on thumped will agree on what is meritricious about someone else's post (imho) isn't going to happen.

One of the best things about this place is it's not over-regulated but there is a modicum of self-moderation from the community, and most people here are fairly respectful (within the limits of the 'Prick' constant). That said, there's no call for the shitty kind of thing which Squiggle mentioned earlier and yes that is taking things too far and should be dealt with.

I'm rambling a bit now so I'll stop. In conclusion, Rep was always silly and we'll be fine (if not better) without it.

well maybe 'circle jerk' was a little extreme, but them friday rep threads totally went against the whole idea of a merit based reputation system.... like, what's the point? Why keep it going so people could leave semi-anonymous insults?

I was never the recipient of any insults on that thread. Or any other thread for that matter. and I have never sent crass or insulting rep/derep to anyone on this board.

So why punish me or the people who are behaving themselves by taking away a cool utility? Surely you have the means of finding out who repped what to whom and take appropriate action if there's a complaint?

It had occasional potential for humour in the context of the peculiarities of Thumped. And allowed people to post any sort of nonsense in the one place, as a distraction from their boring jobs or whatever. People got something out of it anyway, I'm not a psychologist. I just think it's mad that people thought other people were trying to......outdo each other with a number or something. Getting rep off La La is no different than getting rep off someone else with a low rep score. If you know what I mean. Merit based rep, while an admirable endeavour, was gone long before that thread.

I don't think you should bring it back or anything. I'm just surprised that people are annoyed that people use rep, effectively, as an internet toy, when no one was getting hurt or anything.

I DO think though, having no rep will keep bands coming back to Thumped. I've seen some bands rep box things, and its filled with stuff like "you suck" after their first post. Which is bullshit. So no rep = good for independent Irish music. That's what Thumped is all about after all.

I was never the recipient of any insults on that thread. Or any other thread for that matter. and I have never sent crass or insulting rep/derep to anyone on this board.

So why punish me or the people who are behaving themselves by taking away a cool utility? Surely you have the means of finding out who repped what to whom and take appropriate action if there's a complaint?
yeah Pete!

and I have never sent crass or insulting rep/derep to anyone on this board.
I have receiced lots and dished out lots....what rep was for too, gotta have hell as well as heaven like.
Funny thing was b4 I supported I got alot more negative rep...and alot from a future admin......
:D

Nobody ever complained to me. If I want I can see every rep comment ever made, but there's no way i'd have time to read them all on the off chance someone said something nasty. Even if I did i've no way of knowing what context any given comment was made in.

Meanwhile I see regular posts about people getting nasty shit said to them in the anonymous rep comments. Sure, subscribers could see who said what, but that was only ever meant as a perk - I never intended to have people paying €20 solely because they wanted to see who was being a total prick towards them. And yet I think that's exactly what's happened on a couple of occasions, and while it may be good business it's just not cool.

Combine that with a system that just doesn't do the job it was intended to do and I hope you can see how we got to here.

Funniest thing about this situation is the people who are making a big deal about how great it is that rep is gone...its the people with most rep...from the constant to and fro...if you wanted to see the back of it so much why did you persistently engage in the practice of it?
Just an observation.

Funniest thing about this situation is the people who are making a big deal about how great it is that rep is gone...its the people with most rep...from the constant to and fro...if you wanted to see the back of it so much why did you persistently engage in the practice of it?
Just an observation.
I wanted rep gone when I had zilch...it's in the thread I can't find.
If something is there though you tend to use it....cept durex.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back