Hillary Announces US Presidential Candidacy (1 Viewer)

jane

Website
www.ittybittyhearingtrumpet.wordpress.com
I don't know why I'm surprised, but I guess I sort of am.

http://www.cnn.com/2007/POLITICS/01/20/clinton.announcement/

There's a link on that site to the possible candidates, and some of them are fucking scary. Weirdly, Mitt Romney, Republican governor of Massachusetts is thinking of running, and while I don't know if he'd be all that bad (the gay marriage rights were passed under him, and he's created a universal health care system), I don't think he'd get the support of Republicans.

And anyway, with Obama in the possible running, I think he could trounce the others in the primaries. I think -- or at least hope -- that he would be enough of a fresh voice, and that he's charismatic enough to win over a hell of a lot of people. I think people will really be looking for a new direction, and he's able to speak with understanding of other people's beliefs as well as with clarity as to where he stands. People are going to be looking for that: no more waffling like Kerry did. I also -- optimistically -- think he can actually provide Americans with some real hope.

I really hope Obama does it. God, that'd be fucking amazing. There might even be a chance of a new direction in American government. Hillary wouldn't be the worst by any stretch, but I think everyone's sick of dynasties, and they want a fresh start. I hope.

I'm not so sure. They may be reticent at first, but he's got a hell of a lot of charisma, which we've already seen is absolutely indispensable in elections. What he also has going for him is that he's a 'man of the people', but in an entirely different way than Bush or Clinton ever were.

same as jane,thought she would run but its still sort of surprising in a way.
cant see her winning though,the fact that shes married to the anti-christ is sure to galvanise the republicans no end.john mccain on the other hand i would like to see.

Obama is far too inexperienced. I suspect his campaign will have something of the Edwards about it and fizzle out when the serious primaries start.

The problem with Hilary is how devisive a figure she is. Someone above said she was regared as being married to the antichriast. Actually it is worse than that se is in fact far more unpopular with middle america than her husband ever was.

A guy who works with me in the states has two books on Hillary, and show she is the whore of Babylon or somethng, in his bookcase - between the Quotes or Ronald Regan and the Autobiograpy of Col Ollie North (USMC Retd.). This is a huge preoccupation with a woman who at the time was only a fledgeling senator.

obviously Obama would explode the black vote across the US. I don't know that he could go all the way, but it'd be amazing if either he or indeed Hillary were elected.

Obama is far too inexperienced. I suspect his campaign will have something of the Edwards about it and fizzle out when the serious primaries start.

I don't agree with you on this.
He has the same experience as Clinton did back in 1992. He's definitely going to be a serious contender - either as vice-president or president. He has bags of charisma and intellect - and he is a genuine everyman. There's a lot going for him.

Still, there's always Mendoza from Mysterious Cities of Gold:
MCoG_pedro_sancho_mendoza.jpg

Any Americans I've spoken to seem to be all about John Edwards with either Clinton or Obama on the ticket.

Edwards will be in the mix. He was very impressive in his last campaign. It has to be said that he has no more political experience than either Clinton or Obama. In fact, I think political experience could count against anyone who will run.

I wonder if Rudolph Giuliani will run?

And, more importantly, who will displace Super President!?

From this, James Norcross, President of the United States of America...
supres2.jpg

...to this, Super President
supres5.jpg

http://www.internationalhero.co.uk/s/suppres.htm

Beat that, Barak!!

IThere's a link on that site to the possible candidates, and some of them are fucking scary. Weirdly, Mitt Romney, Republican governor of Massachusetts is thinking of running, and while I don't know if he'd be all that bad (the gay marriage rights were passed under him, and he's created a universal health care system), I don't think he'd get the support of Republicans.

Romney may have been in power when Gay Rights were passed but he most certainly was not in favour of them. He's a Mormon, nuff said. I don't think he will get the Republican support, he lacks Charisma when speaking, though is the current Republican pin-up amongst ladies of a certain age (seriously!), but he does have the universal health care system behind him, not to mention the Salt Lake City Olympics. Plus, this guy couldn't be cleaner if he had been doused in Cillit Bang. However, considering the other choices appear to be McCain and Guiliani...he may well get the nom - don't think the Republican heartland could stomach either of the other two...too socially liberal.

As for the Democrats, I pray to heaven every day that it will be Obama...interestingly, I think it will be the Republicans who experience the candidacy crisis this time, not the Dems

Romney may have been in power when Gay Rights were passed but he most certainly was not in favour of them. He's a Mormon, nuff said. I don't think he will get the Republican support, he lacks Charisma when speaking, though is the current Republican pin-up amongst ladies of a certain age (seriously!), but he does have the universal health care system behind him, not to mention the Salt Lake City Olympics. Plus, this guy couldn't be cleaner if he had been doused in Cillit Bang. However, considering the other choices appear to be McCain and Guiliani...he may well get the nom - don't think the Republican heartland could stomach either of the other two...too socially liberal.

As for the Democrats, I pray to heaven every day that it will be Obama...interestingly, I think it will be the Republicans who experience the candidacy crisis this time, not the Dems

Yeah, I don't remember seeing much support from Romney with the gay marriage thing, and he's in a state where there are enough liberal checks and balances that he can't have the same sort of power he might in a more conservative state. I wasn't sure what his stance was (and seeing as he's Mormon, I think I wanted to just spare myself the righteous rage I'd have ended up spouting if I'd read or heard any of his comments), which is why I made my statement about it passing under him (not that he passed it) pretty vague. My assumption was that it wasn't his favourite idea, but that he'd already accepted that there were going to be things in Massachusetts that he didn't agree with and that he was just going to have to go along with, which really is fair enough in a way. Politicians are supposed to do what their constituents want, and sometimes it won't be what they want. And besides, he was waaaay outnumbered.

I've always found it strange that MA has elected TWO Republican governors, but then, Bill Weld won against John Silber, and I think most of us would have voted for an army of killer robots before even considering voting for Silber.

But Romney will not get the nomination from the Republicans and he certainly wouldn't win that many Democrats even if he did, not with what looks like a strong field of candidates (finally!).

Scary contenders: Giuliani (EVIL), McCain (EVEN MORE EVIL).

Billy is right, and it's kind of what I was trying to say: I think Americans are getting a bit sick of dynasties, and someone who's been in politics too long may be a turnoff to a lot of voters. I also think Mormon Nailer is right: there will still be significant election fraud, and it'll be in exactly the places it's always been.

I do think, though, that there is more of a willingness than there has ever been to accept a non-white-male in power. I don't know if it will happen in 2008, but it will happen. Despite the fact that she's absolutely evil and anti-feminist and does nothing for racial equality, Condoleezza Rice probably has inadvertently opened doors for women and minorities at the higher echelons of government. Not because she was trying to, but because people have gotten used to the fact that she's a black woman and she's extremely senior. But that could have more to do with the fact that she doesn't do anything for women or minorities, so she's not a threat to the status quo.

I also just noticed -- he's a fricking Republican sex symbol? Creepy.

Plus, I'm so with you on Obama. He is a fresh voice, and it's impossible to say at this early stage, but he may well have enough charisma (and we learned the hard way that it counts for a lot more than most things) to allay people's doubts and fears about electing a black dude with uppity ideas and not a lot of experience. I hope. And since it's early days, I'm going to hang onto that optimism. I'm going to hang onto it until it is mercilessly dashed against the pavement by the harsh realities of the American electoral system. I do think he'll bring a few people out to vote who might not otherwise have voted, but I don't think that would be enough to put him over the top.

Basically... Hilary will lose it. If she gets the primaries, (and Obama is probably not going to I think), Hillary will then go on to lose it.
She would make a good President, better probably than Bill. But, there is no way that this country will vote her in. The smear campaign will be staggering. It will involve her sexuality, and regardless of the truth she will be presented as a lesbian lunatic liberal.

Sad but true.

Out of Giuliani and McCain, I would take McCain. Giuliani is a facist. The place is already a police state now, but, Jesus Christ. Condi might go as vice. Maybe. The republicans are very good team players. They will be cohesive behind whoever they chose.

The democrats will be less so.

I dont know. All I am thinking at the moment, is whatever (more than likely) tool gets in there, they will be better than Bush.

WRT to dynasties... I dont think the US has a problem with them.
Bush, Clinton, Clinton, Bush, Bush... its more that many people here violently hate Hillary. This hatred stems from the fact that a few media moguls hate her.

Obama is screwed because, regardless of his popularity or ability to do teh job, he has not got the cash to run.

People make the mistake thinking that there is a democratic system running in the US. This is not true. You are President here, if you can afford to be.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Fixity/Meabh McKenna/Black Coral
Bello Bar
Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back