hey wanna help me?? (3 Viewers)

rachelann

Hi. anyone who wants to reply to me that would be rad. i'm coming to dublin to study for 9 weeks. i'll be getting there feb. 22nd. i just want to know some good local indie/punk/hardcore bands or some good houses/bars/venues for shows. i know true north is playing there in april and i love them so i'll for sure be at those shows. i know i'm gonna get sick of reading james joyce so help me out! any advice about other things in dublin i'll take too. thanks

its about an hour and a half south of the city, but its on the city bus route. (the 84 bus... god the amount of times Ive said this)

but these forums usually have posts about whats goin on, so if you just check here every so often you'll be as informed as anyone!

Also, this seems as good a time as any to say "I GOT 8 KISSES ON PAPER FROM SHANE MACGOWN FOR MY BIRTHDAY AND IT MADE MY YEAR!!!"
ahem.

If you're interested, which you're probably not, CKY are playing on March 1st. I'm headin up for the laugh with my skater mates. Hoodied little fuckers. :p

i'm flying into london on the 19th, then flying into dublin on the 22nd, i'll be in dublin til around april 14th, then i'm going to gallway for 2 weeks. i fly back to the states april 30th.

we stay in townhouses in sandymount? thats the address i have at least. i know its a bit outside the city.

i'm studying english literature, although i'm seriously questioning how much studying i'm going to do. all of our classes are at the irish writers center...i think.

NecroSteve said:
If you're interested, which you're probably not, CKY are playing on March 1st. I'm headin up for the laugh with my skater mates. Hoodied little fuckers. :p
Where? What? Relations of bam margera????????
I have to take any chance I can get here.

rachelann said:
i'm flying into london on the 19th, then flying into dublin on the 22nd, i'll be in dublin til around april 14th, then i'm going to gallway for 2 weeks. i fly back to the states april 30th.

we stay in townhouses in sandymount? thats the address i have at least. i know its a bit outside the city.

i'm studying english literature, although i'm seriously questioning how much studying i'm going to do. all of our classes are at the irish writers center...i think.

I live in Sandymount. If you get the bus, its like 5-10 mins to the city centre max.

Sean (V.D.) said:
I live in Sandymount. If you get the bus, its like 5-10 mins to the city centre max.

whats it like? just wondering. i have all these ideas in my head as to what everything is going to be like and i have a feeling i'm gonna show up and be all wrong.

spuded said:
sandymount is pretty upmarket, beside the sea n 'all, i wanted to live there until we got the new funkiest gaff in dublin, fuck those rathfarnham losers, and as for the mews ha! fools.

hate to sound like a stupid american but i have no idea what gaff, rathfarnham or mews means.

i have to live there. as long as its not far from stuff its just where i sleep at night is the way i look at it.

rachelann said:
hate to sound like a stupid american but i have no idea what gaff, rathfarnham or mews means.

i have to live there. as long as its not far from stuff its just where i sleep at night is the way i look at it.
Sandymount is really lovely. Sure, it's a bit upmarket and you run into your share of slightly snooty folks, but I can't think of a more pleasant place to live in Dublin. I like it so much that I am reluctant to live more than a 15 minute walk from it, and -- thankfully -- haven't had to in the 3 years I've been in this city.

It does indeed have a Spar (a convenience store) and a Tesco (a supermarket), an Italian restaurant (have the gnocchi with gorgonzola), a couple of nice pubs, and a few good cafes (the sandwiches in Browne's are yummy but not cheap, and the coffee in Java is good but the food is a total rip-off), and is spitting distance from the beach. I wouldn't exactly 'swim' in the water there, but it's a nice place to go for a stroll/cycle/run/whatever-you-do. You will also be on the DART line, the commuter train that runs along the coastline, which is also pretty handy.

Depending on what part of Sandymount you'll be in, you'll be about a 30 minute walk from town, though there are buses that run regularly, too.

Oh yeah, and 'gaff' is house/flat/apartment, etc, Rathfarnham is a part of Dublin, and 'the mews' is a particular house in....er...Rathgar (? I might be wrong? Anyway, in a part of Dublin...) where a bunch of the punk rock kids live.

where are you coming from in the states? i'm from new york...

as for your impressions of ireland, it'll probably be a lot different from what you're expecting, but probably a lot better too. i've had a great time so far, and since you're only here for a semester you'll be here for just enough time to have a great time and not get sick of anything or anyone.

no_exit said:
since you're only here for a semester you'll be here for just enough time to have a great time and not get sick of anything or anyone.
Yeah, good point. I did my third year of college in Cork and could be said to have 'loved every minute of it' because I was only here for an academic year and not long enough for the novelty of the place to wear off. Since I moved back here around 4 1/2 years ago, I have definitely gone through a few love/hate/desperate-to-leave/desperate-to-stay cycles. Currently happy I live here, especially after 3 weeks in the States helped to remind me of some of the reasons I moved here.

Being here for just a semester, you'll have a blast.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back