help me (1 Viewer)

Denny Oubidoux

Hangin round town
Supporter
Solutions
i think i have got a virus or spyware or some shit on this pc im using. things have gone a bit gammy. control alt delete no longer works, instead i get "task manager has been disabled by your administrator", the Search option is gone from the start menu, and at shut down a few things fail to respond and ive had to pull the power out a couple of times to turn it off. im downloading spybot now, all the anti virus things on the pc are out of date as its on dial up and it takes all day to update things. theres out of date versions of norton and clamwin free.

please give me step by step instruction on how to restore the pc to its previous state and to make it reasonably secure, bearing in mind that its on dial up and daily update things are impractical. its an old fellas pc and he wont be able to sort it out himself. do i need to download things i can go to the internet cafe tomorrow and get them.

thanks everyone!

I suggest having a cup of tea and staring out the window for a while. I got a virus (not that one) from opening an email attachement and it took me a couple of days to get rid of it completely.

I find trend micro's house call (free virus scanner and remover) quite good, if you can get it to work. It's only a short term fix though unfortunately.

Is there any other way of viewing what processes are running without using task manager? Can you run task manager without cntl alt delete? If so, I'd google each process that's running separately and that'll tell you exactly what you've got.

Might be Conficker

http://www.thumped.com/bbs/showthread.php?t=71961

Nasty bastard.
I had to reinstall XP. It was so deep rooted I couldn't even do anything in safe mode.

Check this:
http://www.microsoft.com/protect/computer/viruses/worms/conficker.mspx

thanks for that. a few things to look into there.

i ran spybot and got a rid of a few including a trojan which disables the task manager, however the task manager is still disabled so i logged in as admin in safe mode (an option that isnt there in normal mode) and tried to change the user accounts so that the usual user can do the admin stuff however it was already set like that. now im back on normally and i cant get at the task manager and spy bot is confusing me with warnings about important registry changes. damn it. if it was my pc i wouldnt mind so much but you cant trust the elderly. he uses it for his composing and shit.

Best bet is download microsoft malicious software removal tool on another pc. Put it onto a flash drive and try to run it on the infected pc in safe mode.
Spybots not gonna get everything.
Check the other thread for all the apps you'll need.

i use a combination of avg and spybot, use adaware too and that should cover most things.

they are all free.

Spybot is very good and has got me out of all sorts of pickles. Hasn't helped me to find a new job though

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Fixity/Meabh McKenna/Black Coral
Bello Bar
Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back