Hayfever (1 Viewer)

coffee, beer, whiskey and crisps to dry out you eyes. You need to dehydrate yourself a bit.We're all fucked. theres no real help for hayfever!!

HORRIFIC! I'm dying

A money saving tip for Thumpeders if you can find it, is to try to get hold of Histaclar. Its the generic hayfever medicine and its so much cheaper than Zirtec and the like. The pharmacies tend to keep it hidden away as there isn't much of a markup on it. I was able to get hold of it last year from a chemist in Temple Bar but this year its proving more difficult. I think a lot of them are saying they don't have it when they do. I know someone who can find out what pharmacies order it around the city centre so I'll report back here when I find out.

this might be of use if it hasn't been posted before

http://www.revolutionhealth.com/con...ritional-supplements-herbs?section=section_06

Hay Fever

Herbs that may be helpful

Date updated: September 07, 2006
Content provided by: Healthnotes Two double-blind studies have compared butterbur extract to standard antihistamine drugs in people with hay fever. The first compared it with the drug cetirizine (Zyrtec) and found the drug and butterbur extract relieved symptoms equally well. However, cetirizine caused significantly more adverse effects, including a high rate of drowsiness.12 The second study compared butterbur extract with fexofenadine (Allegra) and placebo. Butterbur extract was as effective as fexofenadine at relieving symptoms, and both were significantly better than placebo.13
People with hay fever had better symptomatic relief and reductions in levels of immune cells associated with allergic reactions (eosinophils) when treated with an herbal formula containing horny goat weed compared with a formula without horny goat weed and another herb by itself.14 Traditionally 5 grams (1 tsp) of horny goat weed is taken three times per day, usually after being simmered (decocted) in 250 ml (1 pint) of water for 10 to 15 minutes.15
In a double-blind study, an extract of the butterbur plant (Petasites hybridus) was significantly more effective than a placebo at improving symptoms in people suffering from seasonal allergic rhinitis.16 The study used a preparation standardized to contain 8 mg of total petasin per tablet. One tablet was administered either two or three times a day for two weeks; the larger amount was found to be more effective than the smaller amount.
Tinospora cordifolia is an herb used in traditional Indian (Ayurvedic) medicine for increasing longevity, promoting intelligence, and improving memory and immune function. In a double-blind trial, an extract of Tinospora cordifolia was significantly more effective than a placebo at relieving symptoms of allergic rhinitis, including sneezing, runny nose, nasal obstruction, and nasal itching. The study used 300 mg of a standardized extract three times a day for eight weeks.17
Tylophora is an herb used by Ayurvedic doctors in India to treat people with allergies. It contains compounds that have been reported to interfere with the action of mast cells, which are key components in the process of inflammation responsible for most hay fever symptoms.18 Mast cells are found in airways of the lungs (among other parts of the body). When mast cells are activated by pollen or other allergens, they release the chemical histamine, which in turn leads to a wide number of symptoms familiar to hay fever sufferers—itchy eyes, runny nose, and chest tightness. Ayurvedic doctors sometimes recommend 200–400 mg of the dried herb daily or 1–2 ml of the tincture per day for up to two weeks.
In an isolated double-blind trial, nettle leaf led to a slight reduction in symptoms of hay fever—including sneezing and itchy eyes.19 However, no other research has investigated this relationship. Despite the lack of adequate scientific support, some doctors suggest taking 450 mg of nettle leaf capsules or tablets two to three times per day, or a 2–4 ml tincture three times per day for people suffering from hay fever.
The Japanese herbal formula known as sho-seiryu-to has been shown to reduce symptom, such as sneezing, for people with hay fever.20 Sho-seiryu-to contains licorice, cassia bark, schisandra, ma huang, ginger, peony root, pinellia, and asiasarum root.

my mum has horrendous hayfever and found that acupuncture helped quite a bit.

it's helped my occasional sinus trouble as well.

Hit me properly on Sunday, so yesterday was horrible.
Seems really bad this year.

Aye, it is. Legions of red-eyed snufflers everywhere.

There's something in my local park this time of the year that sends my nose into convulsions of sneezing, even if I've taken medication. And every year there's a big festival in my local park exactly at the time when the whatever-it-is is pollinating.

some day those flowers are gonna have to cop on that I don't wanna have sex with them

flixonaise is the job. i used to live on zirtek during the summers and used to get sinus infections a lot on top of hayfever. total balls if you wear glasses cos it aggravates it more and then if you dont wear them you get a headache, grr! started taking flixonaise to keep my sinuses clear and havent had any hayfever this year yet. takes a few days to kick in but highly recommended!

According to Mrs. egg_, the Yorkshire Fog (a grass) has just come into flower so that could be it. She's in bits with hayfever and can't take any remedies on account of egg_ jr. no. 2 growing in her womb

Awww, being pregnant sucks!

I am allergic to grass pollens in general so it's probably that. Damn Northerners.

im fucked with it too
zirtek+flixonase+optacrome is a decent combo but it takes about two weeks to really build up the resistance. meant to start taking this year before i felt the symptoms in april but i forgot.

my doc said that the injection significantly increases the risk of arthritis in later life!

since back from Barcelona, ive been sneezing like a bitch. and i can feel it getting worse. i usually only get hayfever late in the summer but apparently its much stronger over here or summat.
shitebags.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Fixity/Meabh McKenna/Black Coral
Bello Bar
Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Meljoann with special guest Persona
The Workman's Cellar
8 Essex St E, Temple Bar, Dublin, D02 HT44, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back