Has there ever been a good musical show/film? (2 Viewers)

i went to the buddy holly musical years ago, we were actually "rocking in the aisles".

also someone mentioned animated musicals: nightmare before christmas, dumbo, alice in wonderland, nearly all the oldschool disney shows actually.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Cabaret is a good one for people who don't normally like musicals, either on stage or film. The only good contemporary one I can think of is Dancer in the Dark.

I like a lot the cheesy ones too though, my Da and I used to watch them together when I was a kid, I had a bit of a Gene Kelly fixation. So obviously I loved this:

Then when I got into Thumped-friendly music as a teenager I disowned them and thought they were all shite, but in recent years I've embraced my inner cheeseball. I blame Stephen Merritt.

Oliver! gets my vote. Also "Fiddler on the roof", though I never saw the film, just saw it on the stage. And some of the Disneys like Jungle Book. I liked Oklahoma as a teen, but that was as a participant rather than an audience member

Oh, and I liked Mamma Mia, much to my surprise

Often though musicals kinda annoy me. Guys and Dolls is crap, Blood Brothers is appalling

Dancer in the Dark.

Hmm, will check that out, it's Lars Von Trier isn't it?

I blame Stephen Merritt.

Yeah SM has written some musicals - I got the one he released where he's dressed as the Mikcado guy. Not his best work.

What about Moulin Rouge? Anyone manage to stay in the cinema for that? I did. Tough going.

Paint Your Wagon. Clint Eastwood AND Lee Marvin. (note: I haven't actually seen it, but how can it be anything other than amazing?)

Happiness of the Katakuris is pretty good as well.

Hmm, will check that out, it's Lars Von Trier isn't it?

Yup. And suitably grim :)

Yeah SM has written some musicals - I got the one he released where he's dressed as the Mikcado guy. Not his best work.

It's more that his stuff is very infulenced by the old-school songwriters like Cole Porter etc, got me thinking of the finely-crafted songs I used to like as a young wan.

What about Moulin Rouge? Anyone manage to stay in the cinema for that? I did. Tough going.

I did too, it was a fun spectacle, but doesn't really count as a proper musical cause all the songs are nicked from somewhere else.

As previously mentioned Bugsy Malone and High Society.

Don't think Mamma Mia counts. Is Chess any good?

or all those Disney films

Is there a film that is performed entirely through the medium of "rap"

I bet there is

Also: no contemporary ones? Rocky Horror...isn't that just good "in an ironic way"?

I honestly thought Spike Jones would have followed up that video with Bjork by doing a movie with her. Yes, I know Von Trier made that musical with Bjork, but I thought Jones would do something purely for entertainment purposes with really great set pieces, dancing and great modern songs. Yeah it would probably have to be slightly ironic like the Bjork video was, but it would have been great....

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Fixity/Meabh McKenna/Black Coral
Bello Bar
Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Meljoann with special guest Persona
The Workman's Cellar
8 Essex St E, Temple Bar, Dublin, D02 HT44, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back