good books? (2 Viewers)

weeler said:
take the iq test at emode.com
i got 127, but i want some1 else to take it as i suspect it's not very good.

"The Websense category "Personals and Dating" is filtered."
these fucking college computers won't let me view anything.
but i think it's safe enough to say i got ... oh... i dunno... 149?

just finished The Third Policeman (flann o brien) on the train last night. fucking fantastic book. tried reading flann o brien years ago and hated it. fucking deadly - hell is a place where fat policemen drive you slowly out of you mind and your only salvation is a bicycle?
i'm half way through one of the ramble right books aswell but sort of forgot about it ages ago... no one read 'not for rent' while it was in the bad books library, fools, and i've taken it back now.

treelo said:
"The Websense category "Personals and Dating" is filtered."
these fucking college computers won't let me view anything.
but i think it's safe enough to say i got ... oh... i dunno... 149?

just finished The Third Policeman (flann o brien) on the train last night. fucking fantastic book. tried reading flann o brien years ago and hated it. fucking deadly - hell is a place where fat policemen drive you slowly out of you mind and your only salvation is a bicycle?
i'm half way through one of the ramble right books aswell but sort of forgot about it ages ago... no one read 'not for rent' while it was in the bad books library, fools, and i've taken it back now.
Check out The Dalkey Archive and At Swim-Two-Birds by him too... also check out the Cruisceen Lawn articles by Myles Na Gopaleen, who's the same fella (different moniker) and anything by George Knowall... again, the same guy, but this time writing for some Carlow newspaper. He was a funny guy... died on April Fool's Day.

psh, 129. i never EVER wanted to take an I.Q. test ever! Now im 129 as long as i live......

if Phil isnt 138 then the test is obviously a sham

get thee to the bad book library.
Loads o good stuff.
I'm reading the Tain Bo Cuaigne at the moment, it's deadly. 'Then he ravaged seventeen women the week of his his eighth birthday. They were so startled they gave birth to twins right there and then.' etc.
Great stuff.
finding out those stories you learn for the leaving cert are tamed down big time, there's brain-ball hurling and all kinds of crazy shit in the real stories.

Also finishing reading Junky by Burroughs and Heroes by John Piliger

Dark house makes for not much reading tho.

Just started reading The Doctor is Sick by that gut who wrote the Clockwork Orange, also The Life of Pi, isn't that yours Marieanne? Ehhh, jingo byTerry Pratchet, what a guy! And various comics such as Strangers in Paradise, the Cartographer (its good) in Forbidden Planet because no money too buy them. Loadsa books in our own personal house library too, I'm going to be so learned.

im an insightful linguist apparantly.

hi-oo!!!

does that even MEAN anything?

RAD-ALARM said:
am about to re-read on "diary of a madman" by that russian guy gogol.
That's a cracking book

I'm well into that Nose story too. Might dig it up and read it again too.

I Have just read "I Lucifer", by Glen Duncan, an enthralling tale, where satan is given a chance to redeem himself and return to heaven once more. All he must do is live a relatively sin-free life on earth, inhabiting the body of struggling novelist Declan Gunn, with absolutely hilarious results. At the moment I'm reading "Borstal Boy", by Behan. A book which I recently started reading (but misplaced in scandinavia, much to boly's disgust) was "The War on Freedom, how and why America was attacked on 9/11". I only got to the fourth chapter, but I can definitely say that it is a must for all 9/11 conspiracy theory buffs. Speaking of which, has anybody come across any info on the net concerning Dr. David Kelly's suicide/murder, and the mysterious deaths of many of the worlds eminent micro-biologists since last November? Oh, and for what its worth, I'm a visionary philosopher, and scored 131.

Any book Terry Pratchett ever laid a hand on, and Im off for fairyland!!

But the best ones gotta be The Wee Free Men. Its a childrens book, but what a book!!! Ten year old Tiffany is off to fight the queen of the fairyes, since the queen stole her baby brother, whom Tiffany dosent really like, but shes doing the right thing.Shes not alone though, she finds the Wee Free Men, (in other discworldnovels also known as the Nac Mac Feegle). Theyre small, blue, an got thrown out of fairyland for being drunk and disorderly. Its the best book, Tiffany is the coolest 10 year old ever!

Other childrens books that are really worth reading, are the Mumin-books, by Tove Jansson. And off course Harry Potter.

Other favorites are Marge Piercys sentimental 70s novels. They are wonderfully PC, with love and hope and revolution!!! Her historical novels are good too....

Good books! No no.

I have read of there books last while
jon ronson - them (crap)
the biggest secret - david icke (funny)
benjamin hoff - tao of pooh (soothing)
do you want to die for NATO - patrick comerford (scareful)
chas bukowski - post office (good)
heroes - johnny pilger (angry)
Loompamics (patchy)
the stones cry out - molda syzmusiak (sad)
fast food nation - eric schlosser (horrid)
ten men dead - david beresford (amazing)
the dispossesed - ursual le guinn (spacey)
paris may 1968 (borin)

I got them from the bad books library and you can too!!!

billygannon said:
Check out The Dalkey Archive and At Swim-Two-Birds by him too... also check out the Cruisceen Lawn articles by Myles Na Gopaleen, who's the same fella (different moniker) and anything by George Knowall... again, the same guy, but this time writing for some Carlow newspaper. He was a funny guy... died on April Fool's Day.
And don't forget the Poor Mouth! And the ones Billy mentions. But I didn't know about the George Knowall thing! I knew about Brian Nolan, Flann O'BRien and Myles, but not George. Any of the Best of Myles essays, or one I got recently, Myles at War. Amazing. Couldn't be funnier. I've grown to appreciate Flann's perspective on Ireland more and more. The longer I live here, the funnier his stuff gets.

Also, A Confederacy of Dunces by John Kennedy Toole is one that I find myself rereading all the time. About a big fat smelly lunatic in New Orleans who is obsessed with medieval religious people. It features strippers, hookers, downtrodden beat cops, car crashes, gangsters, and crazy mothers. Can't recommend it more highly. Weirdly, it's semi-autobiographical. Or at least based on the personality of the guy who wrote it who killed himself when he failed to get it published. His mother had it published after his death and it won the Pulitzer Prize. Really tragic, but the book is such a gem that it only adds to how special it is. Truly clever, comic masterpiece.

Plus, you should read another suicidal maniac, Dorothy Parker. All of her stuff is great. The funny stuff is blackly comic and will make you jealous of her wit, and the tragic stuff is so tragic you'll find yourself feeling a combination of self-loathing and awe that someone can make you feel that awful just by using words on a page. You wouldn't believe she was writing nearly a century ago. She makes me proud to be a gin-drinker. It's like we have a special connection.

And anything by Italo Calvino, especially The BAron in the Trees. Another genius, but one who really can't be explained.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Landless: 'Lúireach' Album Launch (Glitterbeat Records)
The Unitarian Church, Stephen's Green
Dublin Unitarian Church, 112 St Stephen's Green, Dublin, D02 YP23, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back