good books? (1 Viewer)

im reading "a brief history of time" by hawking..
I would highly recommend reading the butcher boy - patrick mcCabe, the picture of dorian gray - oscar wilde and anything by Hp lovecraft.
why, i would even let you borrow them off me.

cry me a river
110802_justin.jpg

some of the best books ive read in a while.. stupid white men, tv nation, fast food nation, prozac nation, slaps of endearment

kelly__nashieda said:
some of the best books ive read in a while.. stupid white men, tv nation, fast food nation, prozac nation, slaps of endearment
oh and some insane guy gave me this book called 'chromosome x' its awesome especially if youre int bio but even if you have no interest in bio READ IT.. its like a private medical company transferring genes and stuff to apes ...blah be blah..then the apes go awol and start acting human and stuff. the way iv described it sounds like such crap but it really is good!

i'm reading book 7 of the wheel of time, 'a crown of swords', in which Rand al'Thor, the Dragon Reborn, has escaped the snares of the White Tower, and the first of the rebel Aes Sedai have sworn to follow him. Attacked by the servants of the Dark, threatened by the invading Seanchan, Rand rallies his forces and brings battle to bear upon Illian, stronghold of Sammael the Forsaken...

In the town of Salidar, Egwene al'Vere gathers an army to reclaim Tar Valon and reunite the Aes Sedai...

And in Shadar Logoth, city of darkness, a terrible power awakens...

robert jordan, can't recommend him highly enough.....i just hope he doesn't die before he finishes the series! (he's 55, should be ok)

mmm the picture of dorian gray.. gotta love that one.. i wrote an excellent essay about that when i was in 10th grade...

nooly: have you ever read the mists of avalon? i've never read anything by robert jordan but i can say that mists is definitely one of my favorite fantasy books, along with anything by anne rice.

Just finished reading "american scream" a biography on Bill Hicks. Currently im reading "scuse me while i kiss the sky" a biog on Jimi Hendrix. Recently finished 1984 and got about half way through The Life of Pi before abandoning it. ill pick it back up soon though

gar
20BE

Vonnegut is a legend alright everyone should read Cats Cradle, (come on it even influnced a Joe Satriani song!) also people should read Charles Bukowski's "Ham on Rye" and "Women" (nooly: Women is very sexist in terms of the characters manner of making objects of them, but it is tongue in cheek and really clever, if not a bit vulgar and naughty!) also Brave New World by Huxley is a must read, and even American Psycho, was well impressed with that

Ah you had to ask.

Well, recently I have been pretty much solely reading Jack Vance and Robert Heinlein, the two best writers in the world (well Raymod Feist is pretty good too but in a different way), with only a smattering of Isaac Asimov in between. The list goes something like this:

Jack Vance - The Dragon Masters, The Araminta Station Trilogy, The Languages of Pao, The Lyonesse Trilogy, and loads other going back a bit such as Planet of Adventure and The Demon Princes books.

Isaac Asimov - The Stars in Their Courses, The Winds of Change, Buy Jupiter

Robert Heinlein (the most recent reading on the list) - Glory Road, Orphans of the Sky, Citizen of the Galaxy, Tunnel in the Sky, The Door into Summer, Between Planets, Methuselah's Children/Revolt in 2100, Starship Troopers, Stranger in a Strange Land.

Actually best writer in the world just goes to Jack Vance with no argument.

A Midsummer Night's Dream. had to read it for college and ended up feckin loving it. Also have been reading loads of oscar wilde as well, it's cool cos I loved oscar wilde since i was like 13 and now i get to do him in college.
Can't recommend 'the blank slate' by steven pinker enough.

I'm digesting the new Michael Moore read - Dude! Where's my car? A brilliant and wildly comic comment on the state of affairs of post 9/11 USA. Dashing criticisms and blinding wit, Moore uncovers a few skeletons Washington doesn't want you to see!

Do you think I could make it as a book reviewer?

Johnathan Ross is a film reviewer.

nooly said:
i'm reading book 7 of the wheel of time, 'a crown of swords', in which Rand al'Thor, the Dragon Reborn, has escaped the snares of the White Tower, and the first of the rebel Aes Sedai have sworn to follow him. Attacked by the servants of the Dark, threatened by the invading Seanchan, Rand rallies his forces and brings battle to bear upon Illian, stronghold of Sammael the Forsaken...

In the town of Salidar, Egwene al'Vere gathers an army to reclaim Tar Valon and reunite the Aes Sedai...

And in Shadar Logoth, city of darkness, a terrible power awakens...

robert jordan, can't recommend him highly enough.....i just hope he doesn't die before he finishes the series! (he's 55, should be ok)
im on 9, dont worry i wont ruin anything of it for you. But it is really intense at the moment. Book ten was out a few months ago on hard back but my friend read it and said it still isnt the end!

Jorden by the way is bit of a loser into hunting and other shit pastimes. Hmm does that stop you from reading his stuff??

Other good books: 'one world divisible', if you're someone like me who needs to brush up on some history to be able to give well informed on different matters.

Schlosser (author of fast food nation) has a new one out 'reefer madness'.
Or you could take the easier, funnier option of watching the reefer madness video the catholic church released ages ago. 'marijuana the silent killer' geebags !baggyyyy

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back