Giving up the smokes (2 Viewers)

Be the Hokey said:
off em 12 days now. at what stage should I expect to hate smokers and their 'filthy' habit and such?

edit: ie become the person i despise

If you haven't started doing that already you probably won't. The hating smokers bit is usually due to wanting to be one again - or not being able to bear being around them because they = temptation

Squiggle said:
If you haven't started doing that already you probably won't. The hating smokers bit is usually due to wanting to be one again - or not being able to bear being around them because they = temptation

I buy that. But maybe if I am totally off them a long time and go a bit holier-than-thou about smokers? A different type of rabid anti-smoker no? I've lost a lot of friends that way.

Be the Hokey said:
I buy that. But maybe if I am totally off them a long time and go a bit holier-than-thou about smokers? A different type of rabid anti-smoker no? I've lost a lot of friends that way.

Hmm... can't say I ever experienced that myself. Actually, I had that holier-than-thou thing going before I smoked.

But I've given up for over a year before and never found myself thinking like that. I tend to feel sympathetic towards others who find it difficult to give up. If they're still smoking 'cos they enjoy it - well...

Squiggle said:
Hmm... can't say I ever experienced that myself. Actually, I had that holier-than-thou thing going before I smoked.

But I've given up for over a year before and never found myself thinking like that. I tend to feel sympathetic towards others who find it difficult to give up. If they're still smoking 'cos they enjoy it - well...

hey Squiggle, how's it going now? you must be a month now too? have you still got cravings and stuff?

george mcfly said:
hey Squiggle, how's it going now? you must be a month now too? have you still got cravings and stuff?

Hey Georgie, it's going well. No cravings at all until yesterday for some weird reason... didn't give in though. Lungs definitely clearing themselves out... was singing on Sat and managed to effortlessly hit a few notes I never thought I'd manage again.

What about you?

HMD said:
I'm just back in work from my holliers today and have given up. I'm giving up drink for a bit to reduce the temption.

A friend of mine who gave up the smokes a few months ago won't go out, or drink, because he wants to smoke if he does. So he's totally anti-smoking AND anti-drinking. We don't like him anymore!

;)

Squiggle said:
Hey Georgie, it's going well. No cravings at all until yesterday for some weird reason... didn't give in though. Lungs definitely clearing themselves out... was singing on Sat and managed to effortlessly hit a few notes I never thought I'd manage again.

What about you?

that's deadly! well done!
me too, singing Prince songs at the weekend.. have never been able to hit those notes before!!
although i keep catching absolutely any kind of cold or sickness going
now have a really sore ear infection :(
i'm sure it's all down to the smokes
no cravings at all though now, don't even miss them

george mcfly said:
that's deadly! well done!
me too, singing Prince songs at the weekend.. have never been able to hit those notes before!!
although i keep catching absolutely any kind of cold or sickness going
now have a really sore ear infection :(
i'm sure it's all down to the smokes
no cravings at all though now, don't even miss them

That's fantastic! Yeah, I've got a permanently icky nose and a bit of a cough going and I had an ear infection - but that's just the body's way of getting rid of all the toxins. (As a friend of mine claims it's also to let us know what we'll have to go through if we start again).

I went to a friend of mine who does Chinese medicine and had all the lung related points worked on... boy were they sore... but felt much better after.

Squiggle said:
That's fantastic! Yeah, I've got a permanently icky nose and a bit of a cough going and I had an ear infection - but that's just the body's way of getting rid of all the toxins. (As a friend of mine claims it's also to let us know what we'll have to go through if we start again).

I went to a friend of mine who does Chinese medicine and had all the lung related points worked on... boy were they sore... but felt much better after.

it seems to be getting a lot better though now do you find? was surrounded by smokers on friday night and was also out of my box by around 11 and wasn't even tempted
only thing is the not sleeping but i'm starting to think maybe it's just that i dont need as much sleep now..hmmmm

george mcfly said:
it seems to be getting a lot better though now do you find? was surrounded by smokers on friday night and was also out of my box by around 11 and wasn't even tempted
only thing is the not sleeping but i'm starting to think maybe it's just that i dont need as much sleep now..hmmmm

Yep, getting much better. Drinking or being out around smokers doesn't cause any temptation - which is great. I'm not sleeping as much either. Interesting, hadn't really thought about it much. Maybe body doesn't need as much.

Fair play! It took me about 4 chest infections before I actually gave up properly. Kept falling into that odd one or five when I was drinking. I always thought I could give up whenever I wanted. That last chest infection was fucking awful though. Never again.

After about 3 years now, but I wouldn't count the occasional proper smoke. Is that a bit contradictory?!

Are yee lot on patches or what?

I got the patches last week. It's sposed to be an 8 week thing, but I'm thinking that I just won't bother after these. I don't think they're a placebo, they feel like they work, but I don't think I'll need them. Might get the gum, y'know, just for the weekend.

seanc said:
Are yee lot on patches or what?

I got the patches last week. It's sposed to be an 8 week thing, but I'm thinking that I just won't bother after these. I don't think they're a placebo, they feel like they work, but I don't think I'll need them. Might get the gum, y'know, just for the weekend.

I've just gone cold turkey. Can't/don't chew gum and patches just seem like hard work for me.

after about 2 minutes chewing that gum i started gagging last time i tried to give up.tastes like an ash tray or something. clockwork orange style giving up the fags, not nice. cold turkey better option.

dunderhead said:
after about 2 minutes chewing that gum i started gagging last time i tried to give up.tastes like an ash tray or something. clockwork orange style giving up the fags, not nice. cold turkey better option.

the gum is gross i don't know how anyone could get by on that
patch i never tried
hmmm i just found that cutting it all out was the only way that worked
i'd imagine the nicotine replacement is just drawing out the withdrawal stage isn't it?

george mcfly said:
the gum is gross i don't know how anyone could get by on that
patch i never tried
hmmm i just found that cutting it all out was the only way that worked
i'd imagine the nicotine replacement is just drawing out the withdrawal stage isn't it?

i've attempted to stop on many occasions but this time i mean business! on my 5th day without a smoke and all going ok. i stuck on a patch for the first two days but don't think i need one. i'm just chewing ordinary chewing-gum as a replacement for having a smoke. i was on patches before and i came home one evening saying how good they were, hopped into the shower, went to take off patch and i wasn't even wearing one that day! i think it's all in the head. just go all out - cold turkey. it's the cheaper option too.

tripoli said:
i've attempted to stop on many occasions but this time i mean business! on my 5th day without a smoke and all going ok. i stuck on a patch for the first two days but don't think i need one. i'm just chewing ordinary chewing-gum as a replacement for having a smoke. i was on patches before and i came home one evening saying how good they were, hopped into the shower and i wasn't even wearing a patch that day! i think it's all in the head. just go all out - cold turkey. it's the cheaper option too.

are you doing any exercise? that's the one thing that really helps for me..
especially if you feel like you're craving a smoke

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back