Getting and Staying Sober. (2 Viewers)

Much respeck for the thread. I've decided to give up the booze/cut down hugely for a while, because of last night. I won't go into it, but I had a realisation that frightened the shit out of me.

Much respeck for the thread. I've decided to give up the booze/cut down hugely for a while, because of last night. I won't go into it, but I had a realisation that frightened the shit out of me.

jaysus, i've just realized after reading this thread that i've been completely drunk 11 nights out of the last 13.

i always feel desperately awkward if i'm out and not drunk though.
just edgy and uneasy.

must give it a break tho....

i always feel desperately awkward if i'm out and not drunk though.
just edgy and uneasy.

i get that a lot too. this thread is partly responsible for me going to a gig earlier on and not having a single drink (first time in a long time). the bands were all deadly and i didn't feel like a spa dancing soberly. i'm know that won't be the case all the time like (gigs alone = feeling awkward / needing pints and my girlfriend / friends won't be at every gig) but still i feel good about having fun without alcohol.

more power to all and any trying to cut down or cut drinking out altogether. i enjoy my daily bottle of brandy as much as the next guy, but it is rather disheartening and alarming how misuse of alcohol is, in this country in particular, the norm rather than the exception.

the best thing to bear in mind is that the state of intense alcoholic intoxication (the spinning, nauseous, slurring, double-vision point) is not pleasurable at all. if you are trying to cut down, try keeping your drinking for when you are eating an evening meal, or to try and drink as much water (if not more) as booze when out. water slows you down, fills you up, and helps massively to prevent horrible levels of intoxication and hangovers. that said, dont gulp down loads of water in one go... keep it consistant and regular alongside the imbibing.

not sure, US Subway no problem and they have Cherry Coke.

must try it here.
I think they do.

Spur steakhouse in Liffey Valley do it now, the waiter(ess) see's a glass nearly empty and another is brought over to you without you even sking for it.

Nando's back home do it too. I miss Nando's.

I think they do.

Spur steakhouse in Liffey Valley do it now, the waiter(ess) see's a glass nearly empty and another is brought over to you without you even sking for it.

Nando's back home do it too. I miss Nando's.

Nando's are great. I saw some of their sauces on sale somewhere recently... must try to remember where.

Didn't Pizza Hut do free refills too, or am I imagining that?

If I drank 6 pints I wouldn't be able to stand up

Lightweight-ad.gif

Is this serious? Dude, I'm not a doctor, but I would say your liver ain't going to last to middle age if you keep that up. 40+ units of alcohol a week is more than twice the recommended maximum
If I drank 6 pints I wouldn't be able to stand up

dunno Im not a doctor either but i doubt a few beers is too bad for your liver, I never,ever drink shorts or anything like that,well bar when the rossys won the minor final, just enjoy a few pints in the evening.dont think thats a big deal.

dunno Im not a doctor either but i doubt a few beers is too bad for your liver, I never,ever drink shorts or anything like that,well bar when the rossys won the minor final, just enjoy a few pints in the evening.dont think thats a big deal.

That must cost you around €200 a week though eh?

Yeah Pizza Hut has the free refills of fizzy drinks. I remember when I was a kid if you were in a bar and asked for a pint of blackcurrant half the time they would give it to you free or for 10p but now it's at least a euro and sometimes 2 or more for a pint of it. Also no one seems to use miwadi anymore it's the manky swanky finch's brand stuff. I think part of my problem is that I don't enjoy downing pints of beer, cider is passable but after 2 or 3 of them I want to move on to the spirits. I love Jamey and red and Jamey and coke but after a few of them I start ordering doubles, emptying my pockets and my brain and attacking the liver. I noticed a marked difference between my drinking habits if I go to a place like Grogan's (no or little music, chatting pub) where I can talk to people and to say a disco-bar with soundsystem pumping out shite. The louder the music the bigger the impetus to drink. It is silly I suppose blaming external factors for one's own habits but over the course of a night you don't tend to need to consciously pace yourself if you're babbling onto people properly.

dunno Im not a doctor either but i doubt a few beers is too bad for your liver, I never,ever drink shorts or anything like that
Dude, shorts and beer contain the same active ingredient (alcohol). The recommended maximum weekly intake for a man is 21 units, which is around 10 pints. If you're drinking 5 pints 5 nights a week that's 50 units, which is more than twice the level the medical profession considers safe. You can say "Ah I'd say I'll be grand" all you like, but it sounds to me like you are fucking yourself up. You need to visit a doctor

Dude, shorts and beer contain the same active ingredient (alcohol). The recommended maximum weekly intake for a man is 21 units, which is around 10 pints. If you're drinking 5 pints 5 nights a week that's 50 units, which is more than twice the level the medical profession considers safe. You can say "Ah I'd say I'll be grand" all you like, but it sounds to me like you are fucking yourself up. You need to visit a doctor

Live%20Fast,%20Die%20Young%20(1958).jpg

thanks for the concern though egg!

I was in Pizza Hut with a mate just off trafalgar square years ago and they had an all you can eat buffet. I was there for a few hours, great fun.

was there all you could eat?

did you know that 'buffet' in france & spain don't actually mean 'all you can eat', just that you have a choice of how much of whatever to eat. we irish/brits/west brits just see it as a wallet-friendly way to eat the shit out of the establishment.

we found out the grumpy bitch way in north of spain a few years back. they took their 'buffet' sign down after we'd eaten everything (including delicious rabbit) possible 2 days in a row. during which time, the waitress was disgusted. hilarity ensued!

'theyve got a buffet for a tenner?', 'right, wear your coat with the big pockets'

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Fixity/Meabh McKenna/Black Coral
Bello Bar
Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Meljoann with special guest Persona
The Workman's Cellar
8 Essex St E, Temple Bar, Dublin, D02 HT44, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back