Getting and Staying Sober. (1 Viewer)

Scientician 0.8

Supporter
Contributor
I'm tryna give up the booze at least for a while and I'm finding it hard. I can go about 5 days and then I feel it's ok to go out and get plastered again. I'll feel wrecked and depressed for a few days after then a few days or so later I'll think it's ok to go out and get flutered again. I really enjoy drinking, I find it immense fun but I'm finding it interfering too much with other things I want to do and there's the health issue related to binge-drinking and all that. Has anyone here given up drink and do ye have any tips for staying off the demon rum? Thanks.

Babies.

Just kidding. Dont go out with the intention of getting flutered. Just go out. Concentrate on the gig you're at or the people your with; and not the bar thats serving. Dont Quit completely if you enjoy drinking, just cut down for the moment and decide where you're at then.

And remember; if you build it, they will come.

I can go about 5 days and then I feel it's ok to go out and get plastered again. I'll feel wrecked and depressed for a few days after then a few days or so later I'll think it's ok to go out and get flutered again.

Story of my life, horse.

http://www.drinkaware.ie/ - Start a diary ;)

Had planned on quitting last week but I ended up drinking a few pints of heineken with an mdma head on Saturday night. Still better than going out Friday and getting home Sunday night without any sleep. I find not making a big deal about quitting the best way to go. Dont mention to everyone you're off the drink because it will encourage people to send drinks your way. I did manage to last 3 months before but I dont know if its worth it.

You get depressed from the drink and you get depressed from not drinking because theres fuck all else to do!

Went through a heavy drinking period in 1990 and quit for six months.

The pointers Corey made are true; shift your focus away from getting locked. Try and enjoy the company etc.

Don't keep any booze in your house if you're prone to temptation. From experience I found that drinking to excess on your own (at home) is a recipe for disaster.

Babies.

Just kidding. Dont go out with the intention of getting flutered. Just go out. Concentrate on the gig you're at or the people your with; and not the bar thats serving. Dont Quit completely if you enjoy drinking, just cut down for the moment and decide where you're at then.

And remember; if you build it, they will come.
BIG GIANT DOOBS... AND EAT STEAK. IT SOAKS UP BOOZE LIKE CRAZY.

ALLAHQUAANNNDO!!!

instead of focusing on quitting, try and change the way you drink. it's about knowing your limits and being able to enjoy two or three. you will know yourself you dont need the next five.

i could've started this thread with the exact same story.

trying to do November but got rail roaded out Friday AND Saturday. Did manage to stay relatively sobre both nights but when i say relatively i still spent 50euro just at the bar each night.

I will try again next weekend, weekdays aren't a problem, don't do work hungover, that i've grown out of.

Sorta trying to stay of the booze for a few weeks myself. My best mate for medical reasons can never drink and he's finding it a bit hard to adjust to. So I've decdided while he gets used to it I'll stay of it and give him a bit of support cause he's finding it hard while everyone else is drinking around him. Finding it a wee bit hard mself already...........

There's also something else I've noticed. There's ALWAYS something on that involves booze. Birthdays, gigs, someone coming back to Ireland, someone visiting Dublin for a day or two, a mad party, another mad party, a barbeque, christmas, new year's, paddy's day and all that stuff. Thanks everyone for your suggestions. Corey, your suggestion of regulating intake rather than cutting it out altogether is probably the way to go but I have found in the past that that takes even more conviction that cutting it out completely for a while.

instead of focusing on quitting, try and change the way you drink. it's about knowing your limits and being able to enjoy two or three. you will know yourself you dont need the next five.

image-3.jpg

There's also something else I've noticed. There's ALWAYS something on that involves booze. Birthdays, gigs, someone coming back to Ireland, someone visiting Dublin for a day or two, a mad party, another mad party, a barbeque, christmas, new year's, paddy's day and all that stuff. Thanks everyone for your suggestions. Corey, your suggestion of regulating intake rather than cutting it out altogether is probably the way to go but I have found in the past that that takes even more conviction that cutting it out completely for a while.

There is always something. That aint gonna change. I was in the same position up until about 6 months ago. Are you a busy person? I've found that when I have shit to get up for every morning, or stuff on after work, or have to use my brain a lot, I spend less time in the pub because I don't have time to be there, or to be hung over the next morning. Try making it so you don't have time to do this shit.

There's also something else I've noticed. There's ALWAYS something on that involves booze. Birthdays, gigs, someone coming back to Ireland, someone visiting Dublin for a day or two, a mad party, another mad party, a barbeque, christmas, new year's, paddy's day and all that stuff.

That's Ireland for you.
Our social occasions are built around alcohol. Unlike many other European countries.
Unfortunately I cannot see this changing for a long time yet.

i've been sober now for around 1,100 days now

but i've no sort of advice. i didn't read anby books, didn't attend any classes to give up., i just gave up (albeit on 1 january 2004) and i don't miss it, not one bit

i don't know whether it's will power or whatever

though the bad thing about it is bar staff give me dirty dirty looks and it's very hard to get served by bar staff in busy places becasue they conbcentrate on getting drunk people drunker

i'm not kidding, they overlook me intentional or i'm paranoid

I give it up every november and sometimes lent as well.

Sitting in the pub with my mates drinking ballygowan as they get pissed and realising we have been having the exact same conversation for the last 10 years sitting the same seats in the same pub - and talking absolute shite as well - is very depressing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Fixity/Meabh McKenna/Black Coral
Bello Bar
Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Meljoann with special guest Persona
The Workman's Cellar
8 Essex St E, Temple Bar, Dublin, D02 HT44, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back