General Election 24th May (1 Viewer)

The government of the apocalypse:

Fianna Fail with THE FUCKING PDs again also with JACKIE HEALY RAE and BEVERLY COOPER FLYNN.

Seriously considering emigrating if this happens.

sweet jesus, can i get a lift with you so?

Fianna Fail with THE FUCKING PDs again also with JACKIE HEALY RAE and BEVERLY COOPER FLYNN.

raiders_of_the_lost_ark_2.gif

I don't see why Sargent would have to resign; he always left the option open of coalition with FF. Or anyone else, for that matter.

He more or less said it himself today on RTE that if they did go that way as a party, he would more or less feel obliged to step down. Didn't say they wouldn't go into power though; and didn't actually say he would step down. I personally don't think he should. They have no one else.

From RTE:

OMFG! For Real? A TD in a wheelchair? Ah bless.

what fucking year are RTE living in?

why any person wtiha disability would join fianna fail after the 2000 faisco where the european court of human rights had to force the government to enact equality legislation to do with disabilities

i know this as i have strong links within disability groups like CPI (that's cerebral palsy ireland, not the communist party of ireland) and PWDI

why any person wtiha disability would join fianna fail after the 2000 faisco where the european court of human rights had to force the government to enact equality legislation to do with disabilities

i know this as i have strong links within disability groups like CPI (that's cerebral palsy ireland, not the communist party of ireland) and PWDI

In fairness though, the Disability Act has been ten years in the making in its current form. The reason for this was mostly to do with the different disability representative organisations (over 500 of them. 500 for such a small (minded) country!) fighting for their own corner and rejecting the proposed changes as they fel the changes didn't go far enough to suit. Most people see disabilities as beingn very much about wheelchairs. And the law was always biased in that way. Thank God the new Act (and the Equal Status Act that preceded it gave hope for the other groups.

It wasn't that the Govt. weren't trying. They just weren't trying hard enough. And to be honest, although the changes are starting to take place, ignorance still reigns and they're still not trying hard enough.

I know this as I'm smack bang in the middle of trying to make lazy fuckers listen and implement some of the changes. Roll on 2015 and the law suits that will finally make them sit up and realise what sort of pricks we have working for us.

In fairness though, the Disability Act has been ten years in the making in its current form. The reason for this was mostly to do with the different disability representative organisations (over 500 of them. 500 for such a small (minded) country!) fighting for their own corner and rejecting the proposed changes as they fel the changes didn't go far enough to suit. Most people see disabilities as beingn very much about wheelchairs. And the law was always biased in that way. Thank God the new Act (and the Equal Status Act that preceded it gave hope for the other groups.

It wasn't that the Govt. weren't trying. They just weren't trying hard enough. And to be honest, although the changes are starting to take place, ignorance still reigns and they're still not trying hard enough.

I know this as I'm smack bang in the middle of trying to make lazy fuckers listen and implement some of the changes. Roll on 2015 and the law suits that will finally make them sit up and realise what sort of pricks we have working for us.

Yeah, and the fact that there are national institutions with no provisions for people with disabilities is a disgrace. I'm thinking of the National Museum, which has no wheelchair access above ground floor. Not sure about the national library. But I'd also assumed that Leinster House, of all places, had been made more accessible ages and ages ago. Which I guess isn't true? And which is ridiculous. Has there ever been a hearing or visually impaired TD?

When I went back to the US a few years ago, I hadn't been back in ages, and I was out and about, going, "Christ, do we just have a lot more people with disabilities of all kinds?" And then I realised very quickly that it's just that people with disabilities can function a bit more freely because accessibility is just so much better. I'm sure that it isn't all rosy, but it is significantly better.

Seriously considering emigrating if this happens.

Jesus cunting fuck, TAKE IT BACK, Diddles, TAKE IT BACK.

Did you know if you say "Jackie Healy Rae" three times fast in the mirror, you turn into a flat cap and get elected to the Council?

it seems like a no-brainer to me. welcome bev back into the fold, take on the PDs, and you only need two more independents. why bother with the greens, who might actually have an ideology beyond "we want an economy, not a society"?

he'll be back.

sunday business post said:
That just left red Joan and redder Joe.

Both are high-profile figures and enjoy huge popularity in the suburbs of Dublin West. The returning officer took to the rostrum. Silence all round.

Joan looked anxious. Her daughter rubbed her hand. Higgins was calm, perhaps resigned to defeat.

‘‘I now declare Joan Burton elected,” said the returning officer. Such relief for Burton. A supporter patted Joe on the back. Sadness surrounded him. ‘‘Sorry, Joe,” he said.

All the candidates said nice things about Joe. He wouldn’t have shaken as many hands if he’d won. He was clearly rattled by the loss but vowed to return: ‘‘The fight back starts here.

Right on.

http://www.thepost.ie/post/pages/p/story.aspx-qqqt=NEWS+FEATURES-qqqm=nav-qqqid=23936-qqqx=1.asp

it seems like a no-brainer to me. welcome bev back into the fold, take on the PDs, and you only need two more independents. why bother with the greens, who might actually have an ideology beyond "we want an economy, not a society"?

sunday business post said:
It is also believed in Fianna Fail that Mayo Independent Beverley Flynn, who was removed from the party following her unsuccessful libel case against RTE, may be invited to rejoin the party ranks. One senior source suggested that Flynn could even be offered a junior ministry in the new government.

fucksake like. i notice they didn't go into any detail on "the libel case"...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Beverley_Flynn

http://www.breakingnews.ie/2004/04/29/story145084.html

Yeah, and the fact that there are national institutions with no provisions for people with disabilities is a disgrace. I'm thinking of the National Museum, which has no wheelchair access above ground floor. Not sure about the national library. But I'd also assumed that Leinster House, of all places, had been made more accessible ages and ages ago. Which I guess isn't true? And which is ridiculous. Has there ever been a hearing or visually impaired TD?

When I went back to the US a few years ago, I hadn't been back in ages, and I was out and about, going, "Christ, do we just have a lot more people with disabilities of all kinds?" And then I realised very quickly that it's just that people with disabilities can function a bit more freely because accessibility is just so much better. I'm sure that it isn't all rosy, but it is significantly better.

Don't worry, Janey. There's a plan in the works for both those cultural institutions. Granted they'll take years to do properly, but they're on the list.

I'm pretty sure Martin Cullen is deaf. Either that, or the cunt never listens.

We can take our lead from the yanks on this issue at least. They're miles ahead of us. And that's primarily due to the fact that they had a very good veterans lobby after the Vietnam War

Don't worry, Janey. There's a plan in the works for both those cultural institutions. Granted they'll take years to do properly, but they're on the list.

I'm pretty sure Martin Cullen is deaf. Either that, or the cunt never listens.

We can take our lead from the yanks on this issue at least. They're miles ahead of us. And that's primarily due to the fact that they had a very good veterans lobby after the Vietnam War

That's cool. Obviously, wheelchair access to the first floor (they have it at ground floor) is a huge priority, but I'd absolutely love to see the development of a tactile display of objects for the visually impaired. I know there are conservation issues, but I think it would be really useful. They're terribly understaffed there at the moment, though, so I'd say that sort of thing is waaaaaay in the future. It'd be deadly, though.

And yeah, there are few issues where my own lovely homeland is setting a good example, but this is definitely one of them.

Re: the ridiculous government. I think they should give Jackie Healy Rae a ministry just for like a week. Maybe something like foreign affairs. Because hell, if they're gonna fuck up the country, they may as well go ahead and fuck it up as fuckedy as they can. Fuck.

Re: Joe Higgins

I wonder if the help he gave the GAMA workers went against him?
Helping the Turks may have been perceived as 'those foreigners taking our jobs'.

I think it's more of a case of what nearly happened to John Gormley - he was saying he was going round canvassing and people were saying 'ah sure you're a shoo in anyway, you don't need my vote'.

I think it's more of a case of what nearly happened to John Gormley - he was saying he was going round canvassing and people were saying 'ah sure you're a shoo in anyway, you don't need my vote'.

Nah, it was more to do with the re-jigging of the constituency boundaries. Gerrymandering, like. What we were always told was a bad thing. If it works, it works. And the nouveau riche effect in the likes of Castleknock.

Pricks.

Having dealt with Joe a few times thru work, I can honestly say he's the only TD I ever thought of as a gentleman.

Re: the ridiculous government. I think they should give Jackie Healy Rae a ministry just for like a week. Maybe something like foreign affairs. Because hell, if they're gonna fuck up the country, they may as well go ahead and fuck it up as fuckedy as they can. Fuck.

They should make him Minister for Education, Beverly Cooper Flynn Minister for Finance and Michael Lowry Minister for Environment.

RTE said:
The final state of the parties is: Fianna Fáil 78, Fine Gael 51, Labour 20, Progressive Democrats 2, Green Party 6, Sinn Féin 4, Independents 5.

so...
FF+PDs = 80
FF+LAB = 98
FF+GP = 84
FF+PDs+BCF+JHR = 82

FG+LAB+GP = 77
FG+LAB+GP+ML+TG+FMcG = 80
FG+LAB+GP+PD+ML+TG+FMcG = 82

Can't see the PDs & GP going in together, yet Enda Kenny is still making noises about forming a government. I bet they're all sorry they've ruled out Sinn Féin now.

I hope so too. Whereas I can't comment on details, it's definitely on my wishlist. But the arseholes that you have to deal with...give me strength....

Cool, well, I'm really glad there's someone involved with this stuff who is pushing the issue. I can absolutely understand the whole conservation issues thing, but there's so much material that won't ever make it out of storage, and there's no reason it can't be put to some use so that more people could engage with it.

There's also a valid research reason for something like this (ahem, in case you want a good bolster for your arguments) -- more involvement of people with disabilities in archaeology would broaden research agendas. Just like the greater involvement of women in the discipline meant an increased attention paid to women, gender, and childhood, or African-American participation in it led to better understandings of African-American history and culture in the past, better access for people with disabilities could do the same. I mean, blindness, physical impairment, etc, would not have been uncommon, and we actually don't even know if people with such traits would even have been considered 'disabled'. So in a sense, it could be used to help interrogate the whole concept in the present, too.

That, and the fact that the cultural and material history of the world should be accessible to everyone, regardless of disability, full stop.

I'm sure the bureaucracy is pretty difficult, and there'd have to be very specific funding for it. As it stands, heritage bodies and museums are understaffed and underfunded. I'm sure there are lots of people who'd be well into greater access, but the resources are still limited.

Plus there's the fact that overall, and on an international level, museums are only slowly coming around to the idea of engaging with visitors in a very active way.

PS: The loss of Joe Higgins's seat is such a tragedy. I wonder if the ousting of McDowell and the non-election of Higgins is a grimmer sign than even the continuing reign of Fianna Fail, that everyone's just become a big fucking centre-right, muddled mess? There's also a weird and tacit acceptance of politicians doing whatever the fuck they please, not being hired by the constituents to do a job.

I was talking with A Superior Who Should Know Better And Considers Himself A Lefty Which Always Amuses Me Because He's About As Liberal As My Hole (Which Is Extremely Conservative) about Higgins during the whole bin charge fiasco. I was saying that, however you feel about the bin charges, you gotta admire a politician who goes to jail for something that is pretty much the opposite of corruption, and who is so utterly principled. The dude said, "Well, really, it's just pandering to his constituents." And I'm all, "Uh, if by 'pandering', you mean 'doing the job they hired him to do', then, uh, yeah. Whatever."

OMG. Must end post. Inviting ridicule as usual. Shutting up now.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Landless: 'Lúireach' Album Launch (Glitterbeat Records)
The Unitarian Church, Stephen's Green
Dublin Unitarian Church, 112 St Stephen's Green, Dublin, D02 YP23, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back