Game of Thrones Season 4 - EXPECT SPOILERS (5 Viewers)

• Thread starter pete
  • Start date
  • Replies 653
  • Views 42K
  • Watchers 8
The problem for me is that it was ambiguous as to whether she was lying out of fear or revenge. If it's the former, suggested by lots of cuts to Cersei during the outright lies about hearing Sansa and Tyrion plotting, then she must now realise that Tyrion was right all along to say King's Landing was too dangerous for them to be together.

But then why would she continue to not understand that he rejected her to protect them both? Why would she still think he wanted Sansa instead of her, when he obviously didn't? That's implausible. She lied about the crime for Cersei, but then airs their most intimate details to shame him - that wasn't necessary for the trial, that was revenge, and she seemed to be doing it from revenge - and Tyrion certainly thought it was unnecessary because it was only when she kept going after he begged her to stop that he finally snapped.

If it's spite, if she's doing it all for revenge, then that's even more implausible as no one could suddenly be that fucking evil - and why imply that Cersei has had a hand in it?

Either way, it's inconsistent. Bit like the rape in the septum, I think it's poor writing.
But so what if it's ambiguous, it's supposed to be? I don't want to say too much but surely you see that we don't know the whole story yet. Did she know more or even less than she let on? Has she been got to by Cersei? Did her paranoia about Sansa really run so deep? I don't see how you can be so sure that she must now see that what he did for her was for her own good. There's no definitive evidence of that, as you say all is open to suggestion. And as to airing their most intimate details, the best lies always have an element of truth to them. We saw the same with all of the other testimony; twisting his words against him.

i took it as being a more general nod to a desire for power, rather than the throne specifically
Sure, but even a general nod to a desire for power contradicts exactly what he had just said and a lot of what he has said on the matter previously.

But so what if it's ambiguous, it's supposed to be? I don't want to say too much but surely you see that we don't know the whole story yet.

Thanks, I expect there is an explanation to come but AFAIK in the books her character hung around for the money or something, so it's already quite different, and already in the show her behaviour in the last series made fuck-all sense.

I don't see how you can be so sure that she must now see that what he did for her was for her own good. There's no definitive evidence of that, as you say all is open to suggestion.

Yes, it's open to interpretation - which is all I'm doing. This is something that everyone does all the time, it's why we don't need to ask for evidence for everything we are ever told. When something seems inconsistent but illogical, it's unconvincing.

Clearly they are trying to suggest Cersei caught her (probably via Bronn), put the cosh on her to lie, or paid her somehow, but that at the same time she's still hurting and her anger is still there towards Tyrion.

But that idea that being dumped by your boyfriend, who you were SO DEVOTED TO that you refused money to leave and have a nice life, somehow justifies colluding to murder him by false testimony - which is what she seems to think is justified - is ridiculous. Logically, knowing what we supposedly know of her as a good person who understood him, she should have been ashamed of herself, not giving it loads.

She stuck around in the show's world long after he married Sansa because she understood what had happened - he convinced her when she came into the bedroom and saw him asleep on the sofa after the wedding night.

Had it been the book-world, where she's more materialistic and less sympathetic, I'd have believed it last night. But as it is, it's inconsistent. Maybe something will come to change this but to me, I can't see how she's simultaneously afraid and seeking revenge.

And as to airing their most intimate details, the best lies always have an element of truth to them. We saw the same with all of the other testimony; twisting his words against him.

True, but not what I'm talking about, my point was simply that none of the second half of her testimony was particularly relevant to the stitch-up and so appears to have been personally motivated by wanting to hurt Tyrion. For no apparent reason.

I'm probably alone in this but I hate Ramsey Snow, way too pantomime villain for my liking.

Also big plaudits to Liam Cunningham who just goes from strength to strength as Davos. Whoever the writer of this episode was he is one of the better ones.

You are not alone, and I am with ya on both things. Liam Cunningham is class.

i really enjoyed that one.

I'd be landing into deanerys every other week with a scorched goat though. she's soft as fuck compared to the softest lanister when i comes to the admin/daily running stuff.

oh yeah. the addition of the sexy sarcastic foreign lad is doing a lot for the show in terms of saving us having to slag it off.

also, that iron bank thing, that seems important.

Aww, I was hoping for more of an alternate ending with

Tyrion: So I suggest you wipe that stupid smile off your face before I come over there and SMACK it off! You feeling strong, my friend? Call me dwarf one more time.

Tywin: He's an angry dwarf.

Then Tyrion attacking him.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back