Game of Thrones Season 4 - EXPECT SPOILERS (1 Viewer)

• Thread starter pete
  • Start date
  • Replies 653
  • Views 42K
  • Watchers 8
God the Mereen shit is as dull as ditchwater. And her performances are getting worse. At least Vaerys is going to try to kill her now or whatever. Though the little birds didn't do too well with the poison wine when she was just a Dothraki so not sure what they'll do now that they couldn't have done before.

Shae's behaviour is even more implausible than before. I understand they changed her from the books, apparently in an attempt to make her totally implausible in every way.

I liked the climax to the trial but didn't quite get why Tyrion didn't opt for this earlier - but then read online that where the Royal family are in a trial by combat, the king's guard have to fight for them. I guess this must mean Jaime will have to fight for the Crown against Tyrion's champion - presumably Bronn, which is why it's such a dramatic moment?

The Iron Bank is great, if only I'd seen that when I was a kid, I'd have been inspired and would by now be filthy rich and Mark Gatiss.

What else? The failed rescue of Reek most notable for the increasingly brilliant Ramsey Snow - topless, just after a vigorous ride, killing iron-borne, covered in blood, saying "this night keeps getting better". class, best character.

ah, it was "this is turning into a lovely evening!"

second time round, you see the formula more. lots of stuff about justice and who gets it depending on their name and where they come from.

that episode gave me a sore head, so many fuckers needing kicked in the face. starting off with Shae.

Ramsey is quality through and through. Danereys though, god damn her story lines are b.o.r.i.n.g. Remember that Qarth nonsense? And it's not getting much better.

Just having her story told in tiny bits would be better. Hearing about her progression at council meetings, and then short catch-ups once every 4 or 5 episodes would be enough.

That city at the start looked sweeeeeet.

Good to get a few decent scenes as well. Last weeks (i think) was so split up, no one got any screen time before it shifted off to another area.

I guess this must mean Jaime will have to fight for the Crown against Tyrion's champion - presumably Bronn, which is why it's such a dramatic moment?
the title of next week's episode is 'the mountain and the viper' which kind of totally gives it away
unless the mountain and the viper (oberyn) are just going to do some other unrelated stuff together

edit: actually that's the episode after next so nevermind

"Due to the Memorial Day holiday in the United States on May 25, there will be a one week break between episodes 7 and 8."

FUCK

Ah yeah I imagine the mountain v Oberyn will be its own thing.

Wondering about Bronn now - he didn't directly answer Tyrion at the purple wedding when asked if he saw Shae leave, he just said relax and drink... Varys and Cersei knew by then about Shae, from the spy in ep1, so it's possible they bribed Bronn to capture her to use against Tyrion should the chance arise. Which it did, then, immediately.

I thought it was a case of "don't hate the player"... Tyrion was just trying to put shame on him, but Tyrion knew what the score was. Didn't he talk to Varys about why he couldn't do one with Shae and run off to Pentos with her? If he'd been smart he'd have gone for it. Now he's got nothing to lose.

God the Mereen shit is as dull as ditchwater. And her performances are getting worse. At least Vaerys is going to try to kill her now or whatever. Though the little birds didn't do too well with the poison wine when she was just a Dothraki so not sure what they'll do now that they couldn't have done before.

Shae's behaviour is even more implausible than before. I understand they changed her from the books, apparently in an attempt to make her totally implausible in every way.

I liked the climax to the trial but didn't quite get why Tyrion didn't opt for this earlier - but then read online that where the Royal family are in a trial by combat, the king's guard have to fight for them. I guess this must mean Jaime will have to fight for the Crown against Tyrion's champion - presumably Bronn, which is why it's such a dramatic moment?

The Iron Bank is great, if only I'd seen that when I was a kid, I'd have been inspired and would by now be filthy rich and Mark Gatiss.

What else? The failed rescue of Reek most notable for the increasingly brilliant Ramsey Snow - topless, just after a vigorous ride, killing iron-borne, covered in blood, saying "this night keeps getting better". class, best character.
I'm probably alone in this but I hate Ramsey Snow, way too pantomime villain for my liking. That episode was one of the poorer deviations from the books.

No problem with Dany's storyline. It's realistic. She's had 3 major victories she wants to consolidate. Day to day regency was handled quite well. Her plot suffers, however, because they don't seem to have the budget to do the dragons really well and a lot of the smaller surrounding characters from the books are either botched or omitted.

I don't see what's so implausible about Shae's behaviour. She never fully grasped the reality of her situation. She was jealous of Sansa, furious at being sent away even if it was for her own safety and we already knew Cersei had caught wind of her. I thought the trial was pitch perfect, couldn't have been done better.

Also big plaudits to Liam Cunningham who just goes from strength to strength as Davos. Whoever the writer of this episode was he is one of the better ones.

Last edited:
why is varys suddenly being an arse? i thought he was meant to be alright
Varys' motives are always extremely complex. He is very similar to Littlefinger. But you suspect, while just as devious, a bit less immoral.

I was puzzled by his nod to the Iron Throne though. Wasn't he supposed to be one of the few who didn't have such aspirations? I genuinely believed when he said to Ned previously that all he does is "for the good of the realm" or somesuch. Or was I misreading all the convoluted talk about desire in that scene with the Viper?

that was weird all right - what possible claim could he have to it? and he's hardly going to have his network of spy-children take it by force

i took it as being a more general nod to a desire for power, rather than the throne specifically

I don't see what's so implausible about Shae's behaviour. She never fully grasped the reality of her situation. She was jealous of Sansa, furious at being sent away even if it was for her own safety and we already knew Cersei had caught wind of her. I thought the trial was pitch perfect, couldn't have been done better.

The problem for me is that it was ambiguous as to whether she was lying out of fear or revenge. If it's the former, suggested by lots of cuts to Cersei during the outright lies about hearing Sansa and Tyrion plotting, then she must now realise that Tyrion was right all along to say King's Landing was too dangerous for them to be together.

But then why would she continue to not understand that he rejected her to protect them both? Why would she still think he wanted Sansa instead of her, when he obviously didn't? That's implausible. She lied about the crime for Cersei, but then airs their most intimate details to shame him - that wasn't necessary for the trial, that was revenge, and she seemed to be doing it from revenge - and Tyrion certainly thought it was unnecessary because it was only when she kept going after he begged her to stop that he finally snapped.

If it's spite, if she's doing it all for revenge, then that's even more implausible as no one could suddenly be that fucking evil - and why imply that Cersei has had a hand in it?

Either way, it's inconsistent. Bit like the rape in the septum, I think it's poor writing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Darsombra (Kosmische Drone Prog)(US)
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Gig For Gaza w/ ØXN, Junior Brother, Pretty Happy & Mohammad Syfkhan
Vicar Street
58-59 Thomas St, The Liberties, Dublin 8, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back