fundit, infographic, well? (2 Viewers)

Correct me if I'm wrong but aren't you basing this maths on the CD's manufacture cost price being the same as that of it's retail price.

If a band were to presell 250 CDs this would give them enough money to manufacture maybe 1000 Cds, potentially generating €10,000.

Depends on how much the recording/mixing/mastering/artwork cost.

Correct me if I'm wrong but aren't you basing this maths on the CD's manufacture cost price being the same as that of it's retail price.

If a band were to presell 250 CDs this would give them enough money to manufacture maybe 1000 Cds, potentially generating €10,000.

Not quite, CD replication is only one aspect of the cost of producing a record. Recording, mixing, mastering costs as much if not more than replication. Hence the issue of using the money from one project to fund the next. in theory you are right about CDs though the unit price for replication should make you a profit but only if you have them replicated en masse so for example the unit price per CD on an order of 500 CDs is higher than 1000. Unfortunately to pre-sell enough CDs to cover the production of 1000 CDs means charging more which usually means selling less.

Question for those who have done a fundit; when you look at a breakdown of funders, how many go for a donation that covers just the cost of the CD/album? How many generally refuse a reward? I did a fundit before and refused the award because I didn't like the artist (it was a friend). They still sent it, possibly were even a little insulted I refused the reward.

I think it was hugh or someone who made a good point about this before. In general funders are fans and are probably willing, if at all possible, to give a little extra. I think the example he gave was of Dinah Brand and how he'd pay way over the odds for a new album.

Sorry, I'm rambling

I funded Windings, Hidden Highways and a mate's comic anthology. I paid the normal price of an album for Hidden Highways and Windings but paid one of the higher amounts to my mate.

Anyone wanna pay more than €5 for my next album?

I'd pay whatever a the right price for whatever the format is, don't sell yourself short dude.

Oh, oh, oh, on a related note to that, though perhaps not on topic. Gigs that that cost less to get into than it costs to buy a pint in the venue (free gigs are a different story), I have an issue with that; I think you've really got to value not just your skills and your art, but on a basic level your time and your work put in for more than that.

I'd pay whatever a the right price for whatever the format is, don't sell yourself short dude.

Oh, oh, oh, on a related note to that, though perhaps not on topic. Gigs that that cost less to get into than it costs to buy a pint in the venue (free gigs are a different story), I have an issue with that; I think you've really got to value not just your skills and your art, but on a basic level your time and your work put in for more than that.

Nobody comes to my gigs anyway so it's immaterial.

Probably just pulled a crazy figure out of thin air and the whole thing is publicity because they're "back!". Sure look at everyone talking about them. Good idea actually.
I'm going to do one and my target will be a million.

seems like overkill to me. considering all the recording is done and they are mostly looking for money to go touring with (van, gear etc).

having said that, if there are people willing to pay it....

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back