fundit, infographic, well? (1 Viewer)

I'd pay whatever a the right price for whatever the format is, don't sell yourself short dude.

Oh, oh, oh, on a related note to that, though perhaps not on topic. Gigs that that cost less to get into than it costs to buy a pint in the venue (free gigs are a different story), I have an issue with that; I think you've really got to value not just your skills and your art, but on a basic level your time and your work put in for more than that.

Also all free downloads should die.

There's something a bit iffy to me about this Fight Like Apes thing that is more than just the large amount being asked for. I can get behind fundit campaigns where the aim is to bring something into the world that might not otherwise be possible, and where bringing that thing into the world will make it (for me, even in a very small way) a slightly better place. If I was a FLA fan then certainly the existence of a third LP would fit into that category. But the third LP essentially already exists. All it takes to realise it is to get someone to mix it (you really don't necessarily need the guy from Metronomy though I do understand that you might like to have him). You can get John Golden to master it for a couple of hundred quid and you're all set. If you want physical product then go ahead and run a fundit campaign for that (and throw in the mixing and mastering if you really want). Though surely they could expect to sell enough copies to make back production costs if they just paid for it themselves.

But PR, touring costs, a van, and "countless other things"? That's asking people to stump up money for all the peripheral stuff around being in a band, asking people to fund its continued existence as an entity. This doesn't sit right with me and I'm still trying to get my head around exactly why. For one thing, surely it's completely unsustainable into the future anyway? i.e. as washingcattle said earlier .. there's no business model here, and effectively they are asking people to subsidise their business. I'm sure they are popular enough to reach their target but what happens then? I suppose the idea is that it would catapult them forwards and up onto another level so that they become a "viable" entity once more i.e. it's a cash investment. But, is that really likely?

Edit: A more accurate description of the aim of this would be that it's intended to get them over the hump that has resulted from not being on a label anymore ...

its interesting how accountabilty comes into this. 9/10 artists from the pre-interenet, and even present on major labels can put 30 grand up their nose making a record and its no problems. If a DIY artist can't just ify a fundit to the last 2-300 euro, they are fucking people over.

Apparently there was a rapper on the Irish version of dragon's den last week. I believe he got the 5 of them to all kick in 3 grand each for him to make an album (recording costs, purchase of beats). I'd assume that they haven't put the money in in exchange for a limited edition signed vinyl and free gig in their living room at some point and in fact will participate in any revenues generated by what's produced, (if they were really smart they'd have framed it as an investment in him personally and got their claws into what he makes from gigs, a 360 deal I think it's called). Essentially they are acting as a label might traditionally act without really being a label.

Any thoughts on how that might work as a crowd funding model, in exchange for funding you've got part ownership of the product, like crowd funded VC? I imagine that from an accounting perspective it would be far harder to manage than the current "here's your pre-order copy/are you ready for your camping trip with the band" model, and it'd also be far more artist unfriendly an arrangement then what's going on with funidit.

"If you don't like it, don't fund it."

Of course that's true. That's true of everything, I don't like smoking so I don't smoke.. But this is a discussion about the whole model. We're not demanding fundit stops running.

no, but I made that comment more to counter people complaining about what the money is being used for. 2 things about that;

1: In the case of FLA, they're being transparent. Its not like they claimed it'd be for one thing then went and blew the $$$ on cheap hookers and booze. They're saying at the outset what they intend doing with the money. If you don't like that, even if you do like the band, then don't fund.

2: You fund, you choose your reward, you get your reward, you're happy. Nothing else is really in any way relevant. You're not giving them money for nothing. You ask for something in return and as long as you get it, then fine. Thats what makes the argument about what happened on dragon's den somewhat irrelevant. They take a risk. With fundit you don't. If the fundit campaign reaches its goal you get your reward. If it doesn't you get your money back.

Thats what makes the argument about what happened on dragon's den somewhat irrelevant. They take a risk. With fundit you don't. If the fundit campaign reaches its goal you get your reward. If it doesn't you get your money back.

I never said it was relevant to fundit, I posted about it as part of a broader discussion on alternative funding models.

Also all free downloads should die.
Why should free downloads die exactly? There's a place for free downloads. Only recently don vito let loads of their back catalogue go for free as they hold sold out of all their physical copies. Being a penniless student it meant i could get some new music from a band i think are great. It didn't devalue their art in the slightest, and if anything it was a nice gesture.

There's no rules to this being in a band lark, so can we stop pretending that there is.
-
Also, in response to unicron re:cheap gigs. A lot of people out there cant afford a lot of gigs that are on. In my current situation, a gig that is priced at around the 5 euro mark means i can actually go.

Also, in response to unicron re:cheap gigs. A lot of people out there cant afford a lot of gigs that are on. In my current situation, a gig that is priced at around the 5 euro mark means i can actually go.

A fiver is about as low as it can or should go. I'd consider €6 to be optimal cheap gig price.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back