fundit, infographic, well? (1 Viewer)

was looking at that site the other day. all the old album/music campaigns listed reached the 100% or more. I'm presuming there have been a few that have flunked, surely?

I'd say that in many cases if they're close to the target and time is tight the funder will "mysteriously" get a pledge to send them over the top and thus rake in all the money

Well, the point is that those 381 projects will probably have follow on projects, second albums, another exhibition etc, but I'd imagine few if any of the people involved have actually learned anything about how to finance these follow on projects. Save for "do another fundit" that's the point.

yeah fair enough. i was being a bit of dick earlier too, that should probably be on record. I'm very likely to attempt one of these things later in the year. Reasons are there isn't a hope in hell that by the time i'm done with this thing i'll be able to afford to do anything other than upload it on bandcamp on my budget. while that's a totally valid thing to do in one way, in the other, i've spent about 3 years working on it, i've built my own studio and own my own instruments. I can't spend another year saving or loaning and training to get up to a point where i can master it myself, and i wan't to release the thing on vynil. I don't want to release every record after on vynil, or the 8 i self produced before this on vynil, but as a once off thing where i feel the critical mass of musicians and songs is there too warrant putting something into a physical form and enough people are willing to stand and agree with me on that, then it will happen. I wont profit, or get my production money back, but i'll be no worse off than just uploading it to the clouds, and the people who enjoy either will get a nice 12 inch record for standing behind, or they'll have a some little data trail which really isn't the same deal, is it?

That's my thoughts on doing it anyways.

was looking at that site the other day. all the old album/music campaigns listed reached the 100% or more. I'm presuming there have been a few that have flunked, surely?

I'm pretty sure I've seen a few massive flunks. in the spirit of goodwill, its probably not a great thing to publicly archive. flunking on a campaign is no reflection of the artists talent, but i could see it being detrimental to be left in the public alongside successful people.

yeah fair enough. i was being a bit of dick earlier too, that should probably be on record. I'm very likely to attempt one of these things later in the year. Reasons are there isn't a hope in hell that by the time i'm done with this thing i'll be able to afford to do anything other than upload it on bandcamp on my budget. while that's a totally valid thing to do in one way, in the other, i've spent about 3 years working on it, i've built my own studio and own my own instruments. I can't spend another year saving or loaning and training to get up to a point where i can master it myself, and i wan't to release the thing on vynil. I don't want to release every record after on vynil, or the 8 i self produced before this on vynil, but as a once off thing where i feel the critical mass of musicians and songs is there too warrant putting something into a physical form and enough people are willing to stand and agree with me on that, then it will happen. I wont profit, or get my production money back, but i'll be no worse off than just uploading it to the clouds, and the people who enjoy either will get a nice 12 inch record for standing behind, or they'll have a some little data trail which really isn't the same deal, is it?

That's my thoughts on doing it anyways.

I'm in exactly the same boat as you really (apart from being in a position to build a studio) I've sank 4 years and thousands of euro into a record that will only see the light of day on vinyl or CD or whatever, if it's basically "pre-sold" through something like fundit. We tried to sell an E.P through bandcamp to raise funds and even though it's been streamed all the way through (from what I can tell anyway) 300 times or so only 30 people bothered to actually pay for it and so we ended up in the same position we were already in. The fact is that there is a very small market for my (and most) bands. I accept this of course, no one is interested in hearing our music except us, hard as that is to hear for musicians it's the cold hard facts and that's fine. Unless you can fund your endevours through other means you can't realistically expect your work to fund it's self.

In a wider sense, what fundit does is similar to what psychologists say internet social networking does. Social networking allows you to avoid criticism, you can just block user. Fundit allows people to avoid the horror of dealing with your artistic irrelivance by allowing you to engage in socially acceptable form of pan handling, and for the most part, I'd imagine it's pan handling from your friends and family. It also creates a worrying disconnect between the idea of self sacrifice and the accomplishment of producing art.

"No you shouldn't have to miss Primavera this year so that you can put out a record, of course not you are special and you have many friends so why not let them support you."

Again this is why I would like to see expendature reports from the artists involved. I haven't had a proper holiday in 3 years, I worked 3 jobs at one point and I still came up short. Of course a huge part of this is my near alcoholism and the fact and other personal shortcomings I'm fully aware of thist. However, If I went on Fundit and asked for €500 to attend a music festival, I'd be laughed at but somehow there's this idea that the bands capital and personal capital are different entities. I'm not saying that everyone in a band lives that way, but I am saying that that idea of financial self sacrifice is becoming a much lesser part of the discipline.

Unfortunately Art is business, it always has been and in business - no capital and no market means you make nothing or you make a loss. Artists are driven by another need altogether lets say a compulsion for self expression. Making money or balancing the books has always been seen as selling out, which is really just an immature way of avoiding the real issues. Unlike other arts Musicians have ample oppertunities to actually break even and even though it may be extremely hard to hear if you can't learn to do that you are more than likely not going to continue making records.

Put very simply, how many Fundit bands, broke even ? How many will go down the fundit route again in the future ? and how many will quit once the cash dries up ? My guess is that fundit will create a bubble in the same way that the housing boom did and that as we all know is not healthy.

The problem with fundit is that it makes it more possible and even more terrifyingly it makes it more acceptable to simply ignore the business side of art funding by what boils down to asking strangers for money without ever having to justify the spending let alone paying back your creditors. Not even Record labels at the height of the record industry boom years allowed bands that kind of leeway.

The unfortunate bottom line for me is that fundit is the only viable option for a lot of artists at the moment and unfortuantely it also strikes me as an extremely unhealthy practice.

It's like seeing someone with €500 worth of tattoos on there arms and all of it's been paid for by the dole.

If fundit was the housing market, the houses wouldn't have been built if they hadn't been paid for and there would not be a boom/bust. I don't think your logic stands in that post.

In terms of complete speculation on sales Vs. guaranteed sales to all who pre-purchased, pre-order slays.

That is not ignoring the business side, that is taking the fantasizing out of it.

this happened you did it not? You were a bit short of your target on the last day and someone footed the rest of the cash in one fell swoop. I recall a tweet to that affect.

Nah, we made our target with 5 days to spare. There was a big donation that got us over the line alright but it certainly wasn't us donating it and it wasn't that mysterious

Read an interview with Kinski there yesterday and they were asked about kickstarter. Can't remember the exact quote but it was along the lines that paying for your own album was a bar you had to be able to clear in order to put out your own album. Anyway I thought it was good.
Obviously all bands attempt to reach for the top but you can also be realistic. No point spending €10k on an album that'll be downloaded and paid for 50 times. Those same 50 people would probably have bought your 4 track demos.
Also "we want €x so we can get it mixed and mastered by xxx".... erm, shop around.

If I was doing this and I was a couple of hundred quid short of the target I'd get a credit union loan or something to push it over the edge

Is that unethical?

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Bloody Head, Hubert Selby Jr Infants, Creepy Future - Dublin
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads... If we had any... Which we don't right now.

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back