Fuck Religion (4 Viewers)

• Thread starter GO
  • Start date
  • Replies 1K
  • Views 99K
  • Watchers 12
i think its eqaully as narrow minded to be so accepting of the view that religion is 100% true as it is to say its 100% fake.

There are way more of the former.
Since atheist and agnostic beliefs are generally based on science and provable facts, they generally stop short of the 100% threshold, since you cannot completely disprove a fairytale.
I'm pretty damn sure that there are no fairies down the end of my garden as all available facts in a reasonable mind would lead to that conclusion. I can't prove that there aren't though, no more than I can prove Russell's teapot doesn't exist.
You can call that 'doubt' if you like.

People of faith have no such 'doubts' though. They believe absolutely and completely because they have Faith which means you never have to prove anything.

Who's the more narrow-minded?

A friend of a friend was round our house last night. He used to be (and probably still is) the tightest fucker around and would happily take the eye our of your socket and come back for the lid. Last night he proclaimed, in his Cork drawl, that he had 'found Jesus'. Then he and his fiance, who is also a god botherer and who he's probably only engaged to so he can get his hole soon, proceeded to tell us about all the different churches they'd visited and that her Mother was in Opus Dei and that they might be a bit strange but they are mostly good. I promptly left the room but I was very tempted to put 'God Hates Us All' by Slayer on the stereo.

i dont think religion is a term thats specific to deity...in that athiesm / agnosticism are belief systems - to defend them you are defending your faith, comprende? religion isnt a term that assumes the presence of god/gods/no gods, that's something that people do.

i dont think religion is a term thats specific to deity...in that athiesm / agnosticism are belief systems - to defend them you are defending your faith, comprende? religion isnt a term that assumes the presence of god/gods/no gods, that's something that people do.

I kinda comprende. Sounds like semantics to me.

Atheism isn't so much a belief system as the absence of one.
'Believing' in science is like 'believing' in gravity. Provable, demonstrable facts.
Religion involves believing in magic.

no athiesm is not believing in god. its a very defined word with a very simple etymology, semantics is a buzz word, and its a cop out. you can still have rituals, spirituality, practices and all kinds of shit - this is what defines religion... like for example, do you think that communities should have regular commmunity events that are uplifting, involving sight, sound music, emotions and so forth??? this falls under the definition of religion, without any involvement of god/dragons. similarly, a person who likes to go to the beach on a sunday evening and have a walk, consider life etc... that also falls under the term religion.

many athiests, although lesser in numbers are equally as defensive as extreme dietists about what they believe/dont believe - to me its the same mentality under a different signpost.

i think its eqaully as narrow minded to be so accepting of the view that religion is 100% true as it is to say its 100% fake.

I agree 100%.

Dawkins wrote about it, and classified belief in god on a scale of 1 to 7: 1 indicating an absolute and unshakable, unquestionable belief that there is a god, and 7 indicating an absolute and unshakable, unquestionable belief that there is not a god.

Even Dawkins sees how illogical and closed minded it would be to be 7, and considers himslef a high 6.

Here's the scale:

1: Strong theist. 100% possibility of God. In the words of C.G. Jung, 'I do not believe, I know"

2: Very high probability 'I cannot know for certain, but I strongly believe in God '

3: Higher than 50 per cent but not very high. Technically agnostic but leaning towards theism.

4: Exactly 50 per cent. Completely impartial agnostic.

5: Lower than 50 per cent but not very low. Technically agnostic but leaning towards atheism.

6: Very low probability, but short of zero. De facto atheist.

7: Strong atheist. 'I know there is no God, with the same conviction as Jung "knows" there is one

I'm comes doen to be the difference between being an atheist and a rationalist. An atheist being certain that there is no god (7), and a rationalist believing that there is no evidence of a god (6).

Dawkins and others, such as Bill Mayers, consider themselves a rationalist rather than an atheist becase they realise that being a 7 would mean you're just as much a closed minded prick as being a 1.

similarly, a person who likes to go to the beach on a sunday evening and have a walk, consider life etc... that also falls under the term religion.
What are you talking about? So hurling is a religion? Punk rock is a religion? Thinking about your life is a religion? Dude, you can't base an argument on your own unique definition of a word that's understood to mean something entirely different by everyone else

because if there is a link proven, it proves god is a capricious prick.

rightnow.jpg

if you know somone who believes in deity, and you believe them as people but dont share thier belief, which of you is contraditing themselves.

this isn't a catch 22, there should be evidence one way or the other. Also I have no problem in having friends who are religious, and not sharing their belief.

What are you talking about? So hurling is a religion? Punk rock is a religion? Thinking about your life is a religion? Dude, you can't base an argument on your own unique definition of a word that's understood to mean something entirely different by everyone else

yes.

and its not that it means different, its percieved different because people in this part of the world are educated with a christian bend on what it actually means...

think about it like this:

can you name one person who is A) casual about punk rock, B) fundamental about punk rock C) doesnt understand punk rock??

can you name one person who is A) casual about hurling, B) fundamental about hurling C) doesnt understand hurling??

can you name one person who is A) casual about philospohy, B) fundamental about philospohy C) doesnt understand philospohy??

if theres fundamentalists, theres probabalblyl a good case for calling it a religion. fuck it, soccer is bigger and more powerful then most rainforest religions, it makes men cry, it makes people unite creepily in identical clothing.

oh for the record... i'm using the wiki definition of religion, not the catholic school dictionary one.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Religion

no athiesm is not believing in god. its a very defined word with a very simple etymology, semantics is a buzz word, and its a cop out. you can still have rituals, spirituality, practices and all kinds of shit - this is what defines religion... like for example, do you think that communities should have regular commmunity events that are uplifting, involving sight, sound music, emotions and so forth??? this falls under the definition of religion, without any involvement of god/dragons. similarly, a person who likes to go to the beach on a sunday evening and have a walk, consider life etc... that also falls under the term religion.

I think you're the only one on this thread who's taking such a all encompassing context of the word "Religion". I think it's fair to say that what people are talking about here is both the practice of religion, and the belief in an all powerful space daddy who will, after you die, party with your ghost for ever.

many athiests, although lesser in numbers are equally as defensive as extreme dietists about what they believe/dont believe - to me its the same mentality under a different signpost.

only the ones that are annoying fucking eejits.

Human and scientific knowledge is always going to have large gaps of understanding leaving ample room for "God" to exist in. Having a belief in something even though it can't be proved is all well and good, but when someone believes that they understand the will of God? I don't consider that faith, it's egotistical self belief.

I think you're the only one on this thread who's taking such a all encompassing context of the word "Religion".

yeah.

i'm not really strongly anything in general, other then i like a good debate and will play the devils avacado just for the hell of it. some interesting stuff from that dawkins. good thread for holy week.

people don't observe the practices and follow the teachings of their belief system because it provides them with the rather instant and short lived pleasure of watching their religion score a 'miraculous' goal to go one nil against some other religion in the 89th minute while they're down the pub on a saturday afternoon.

yes.

and its not that it means different, its percieved different because people in this part of the world are educated with a christian bend on what it actually means...

think about it like this:

can you name one person who is A) casual about punk rock, B) fundamental about punk rock C) doesnt understand punk rock??

can you name one person who is A) casual about hurling, B) fundamental about hurling C) doesnt understand hurling??

can you name one person who is A) casual about philospohy, B) fundamental about philospohy C) doesnt understand philospohy??

if theres fundamentalists, theres probabalblyl a good case for calling it a religion. fuck it, soccer is bigger and more powerful then most rainforest religions, it makes men cry, it makes people unite creepily in identical clothing.

oh for the record... i'm using the wiki definition of religion, not the catholic school dictionary one.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Religion

Yeah the thing is though, punk rock, hurling and philosophy all irrefutably exist.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back