Fuck Religion (8 Viewers)

• Thread starter GO
  • Start date
  • Replies 1K
  • Views 99K
  • Watchers 12
i think i need to stop buying books until i read some of the ones i already have

I'm in the same boat.
I had to force myself to walk out of Easons today.
I was looking around, had picked out a couple of possible buys & then remembered that I'm currently reading Charlie Brooker's Dawn Of The Dumb, Watchmen & listening to the audiobook of Stephen Fry's Hippopotamus.

I also have The Trouble With Physics by Lee Smolin & Genome by Matt Ridley still to read.
Only bought those a couple of weeks ago.

uh-huh...

set comments to 'I hate Billy Connolly' mode if y'must but this is firmly in keeping w the thread edict.....53 Duran Duran fans...an endearing prospect:)

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

i got irish history for dummies for toilet reading as i recently discovered that i know virtually nothing about the history of where i live thanks to my ulster protestant education. i have just found out that you are not all woodcairns, who would have guessed. also cromwell was not the benevolent philanthropist he appeared to be in the eyes of my teacher.

cromwell, now theres an advert for destroying religion.

Last night my flatmate, a very religious Polish type lady, was watching Zeitgeist, which had been given to her by a friend.

She watched part 1, about religion, at which stage I asked her what she thought about the similarities between the stories of Horus, Isis, and a clatter of other gods, and the story of jesus, and the alignment of the birth story of the jesus, with the three kings following a star to Bethlehem being a parallel of astronomical / astrological events.

Totally unphased she replied "God made these stories, and god put the stars in the sky, both to tell the story of his son". Where do you even begin.....

i think its eqaully as narrow minded to be so accepting of the view that religion is 100% true as it is to say its 100% fake.
Fair point.
I'd dearly love religion to be true, that there's an omnipotent being looking out for us (whos wrath seems to have mellowed over the years) but it simply doesn't make sense to me.
free will covers all the fucked up things man kind has done but it doesn't explain natural disasters or children born only to die of horrible illnesses before they've had a chance to sin.
just my opinion though.

then theres a catch 22 philospohical question (ok, i've never read that book, i just have heard it in similar sentences):

if you know somone who believes in deity, and you believe them as people but dont share thier belief, which of you is contraditing themselves.

oh, and of course as hammered by cafflicks as we are here, we forget religion isnt specifically anything to do with deity, its a blanket term for the practical acts of spirituality... etc etc...

free will covers all the fucked up things man kind has done but it doesn't explain natural disasters or children born only to die of horrible illnesses before they've had a chance to sin.
speaking of kids with illnesses, i'm bemused at religious groups trying to prove that prayer has an effect on how quickly people recover from serious illness. because if there is a link proven, it proves god is a capricious prick.

All mosques have a niche showing the direction of the most sacred Islamic site, the Kaaba, an ancient cube-like building in Mecca's Grand Mosque.

But people looking down from recently built high-rises in Mecca found the niches in many older mosques were not pointing directly towards the Kaaba.

Some worshippers are said to be anxious about the validity of their prayers.

weh weh

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/middle_east/7984556.stm

speaking of kids with illnesses, i'm bemused at religious groups trying to prove that prayer has an effect on how quickly people recover from serious illness. because if there is a link proven, it proves god is a capricious prick.

as an athiest i reckon i have a much better chance of getting into heaven than many christians do. i cant imagine that god likes being blamed for every sick child and natural disaster or that he likes having rosaries and whinging apologies recited at him endlessly. ive never asked anything of god and i wont ask anything of him in heaven either

62602fd8450.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back