Fuck Religion (1 Viewer)

• Thread starter GO
  • Start date
  • Replies 1K
  • Views 97K
  • Watchers 12
i've started looking again at the theory that religons cause so much killing and war and strife, etc. again and came to the conclusion that humans are inherently violent motherfuckers who will invade a country over a bag of crisps, and persecute a whole race over their hair style. if it wasn't about religon, it'd be about some other shit.

how dare you

Like where? The vast majority of countries have at least some "spiritual" roots, since they had no alternative for much of their history.

I always thought that every place some form or other of religion too, but a while back I was reading Jung Chang's biography Wild Swans (about China) and she was talking about her grandparents, or it could have been great grandparents. Anyway she was talking about the various beliefs of the people in her family and the people in the community around them. Her granddad (or great granddad, it was a while back, I can't remember righly) was a believer in Confucianism, which is a philosophy, not a religion. She was saying that he was unusual enough and that most people hadn't really a religion. They did believe/practice ancestor worship, which while it isn't really a religion, serves some of the purposes of one I suppose. I'm pretty sure you cn call on the ancestors in times of need. But it's still not a religion. Anyway, I thought it was cool that my assumption that humans largely seem to need a religion (or at least did in the past) was false.

my ma and my sister and a lot of my family are super mega christ lovers, i feel bad occasionally because i dont go to weddings or anything because the shit they talk makes me so fucking angry. Almost every form of bigotry and discrimination inherent in society can be traced back to the rise of organised religion and it makes me feel physically sick that people still think these poisonous beleifs are something to be respected and encouraged.

mate of mine lent me a book thats quite good on this subject called "god is not great" by christopher hitchens, the author is very full of himself and waffles a fair bit but it is a caustic assault on organised religion and makes a lot of very valid points

mate of mine lent me a book thats quite good on this subject called "god is not great" by christopher hitchens, the author is very full of himself and waffles a fair bit but it is a caustic assault on organised religion and makes a lot of very valid points
just bought that today so i did.

vey goood....i mean thats the thing isn't it? god evolved out of a need for reasoned hope......
Humans can anticipate future events, remember the past and conceive of how things could go wrong - including their own death, which is hard to deal with. "You've got to figure out a solution, otherwise you're overwhelmed," Atran says. When natural brain processes give us a get-out-of-jail card, we take it.

spacer.gif
wies450.jpg

along witha certain amount of putting yourself in the hands of the unknown.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

i think i'm going to have to start assigning books to certain times / places, e.g.

The Logic Of Life - that one's in the manbag for bus journeys
God Is Not Great - downstairs jacks
Don'ts for Wives - upstairs jacks
Some sample Don'ts:
  • Don't expect your husband to be an angel. You would get very tired of him if he were.
  • Don't bother your husband with a stream of senseless chatter if you can see that he is very fatigued.
  • Don't forget to wish your husband good morning when he sets off to the office. He will feel the lack of your good-bye kiss all day.
and so forth

edit: oh yeah - and fuck religion too

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back