Fontaines DC (5 Viewers)

"without stint" is way better though, as poetry

The way Luke sang it, I always thought the line was "with Tyrone dark hair". Considering my family come from a place in Tyrone that's name translates from Irish as "Dark Mountain", this misinterpretation always resonated with me.

He was my favourite poet for the leaving - him and the Kubla Khan guy, what was his name? Ah Coleridge.

Fucking Raglan Road though. I used to love that song, and sing it, but now I can't get past the outrageous narcissism of the thing

Like he's the angel, and this girl 20 years younger than him that he's mooning after is the clay. Fuck's sake Paddy, cop yourself on

I had the idea to rewrite the lyrics from the woman's perspective - get some young wan to sing it, would defo be a hit in Ireland. Haven't got anywhere with it yet though, his poetry is just too fucking good to go up against

A bit embarrassing, but thingsishouldhaveknownbeforenow. I didn't know he wrote Raglan Road.

I really didn't like Kavanagh, my English teacher did though. God bothering hypocrite I thought.
Though I was in my teenage rebellious atheist phase at the time.

A bit embarrassing, but thingsishouldhaveknownbeforenow. I didn't know he wrote Raglan Road.

I really didn't like Kavanagh, my English teacher did though. God bothering hypocrite I thought.
Though I was in my teenage rebellious atheist phase at the time.
he wrote it as a song though? rather than a poem that was put to music.

Maybe its much of a muchness but I'd expect the thought process is a little different writing lyrics for music, than it is for writing a poem.

Fucking Raglan Road though. I used to love that song, and sing it, but now I can't get past the outrageous narcissism of the thing
Yeah, he was very taken with the old idea of artists and muse.
Poor miserable fucker drank in pubs most of his life, hated the world and thought this beautiful woman could make him happy. She saw the world clearer than him by a damn sight and had nothing to do with him.
But the aching beauty of how he describes the longing. He taps into something primal or at least close to universal.

The new Fontaines song is good actually.
Bono sang in a mid-Atlantic accent and got shit for it.
Grian keeps it Dub and still the arrows fly.
These are just things we hang our preexisting dislike on. We want to give our hate some justifciation, some texture.

Is Grian Chatten dancing actually Dubstep?

Ugh gross it sounds like Kasabian
Now that you've put that in my head, it does, but I wouldn't have thought of it. Kasabian are quite derivative anyway. Fontaines sound *like* lots of bands. I'd take listening to FDC over Kasabian every time though.

Mad video, I respect it, even though I don't actually get it. No way anyone is getting away with walking around an Irish town in that tracksuit.

Now that you've put that in my head, it does, but I wouldn't have thought of it. Kasabian are quite derivative anyway. Fontaines sound *like* lots of bands. I'd take listening to FDC over Kasabian every time though.

Mad video, I respect it, even though I don't actually get it. No way anyone is getting away with walking around an Irish town in that tracksuit.

Shit is shit

He was my favourite poet for the leaving - him and the Kubla Khan guy, what was his name? Ah Coleridge.

Like he's the angel, and this girl 20 years younger than him that he's mooning after is the clay. Fuck's sake Paddy, cop yourself on

I had the idea to rewrite the lyrics from the woman's perspective - get some young wan to sing it, would defo be a hit in Ireland. Haven't got anywhere with it yet though, his poetry is just too fucking good to go up against

I didn't interpret it that way at all, i kinda still dont.

That I had loved not as I should a creature made of clay
When the angel woos the play, he'd lose his wings at the dawning of the day

I took it more that in his imagined world he's the angel but in all reality/cold light of day he's not all that at all - he knows it's a fantasy rather than claiming he's an angle.

The freemasons thing I think is very interesting.

Like at large he's playing with the creation myths across the thing, and then sorta throwing in that language adds a mid tier to the thing.

It’s not a million miles away from how my daughter and her friends dress (she wouldn’t wear tracksuit bottoms though), but they’re all in Trinners and gay, if that helps.

I should take it to the On Raglan Road thread but that song has sort of been the bane of my life. I've sung it far too many times. It sucks that a) I'll never write a song as good as it and b) no matter how well I sing it I don't think I can ever enter the Top 5 best singers of it.

I've witnessed (usually older) people getting teary to my renditions of it. It's insane how the emotional power of good backing and a great song just blasts through certain audiences. I've only ever vaguely approached that performing any of my other songs.

It sucks that a) I'll never write a song as good as it and b) no matter how well I sing it I don't think I can ever enter the Top 5 best singers of it.
The melody is pushing 200 years old, so the fact it's survived means that people really like it, and the lyrics were written by one of the best Irish poets ever to write in English. And it's been sung by like a zillion professional singers. I think you're being a bit hard on yourself here

My current hot take is that On Raglan Road is our Girl From Ipanema.

Some cultures see beauty and just adore it, ours sees beauty as a root cause of misery.

Raglan Road is undeniably beautiful and haunting, but there's a reason this kind of misery resonates with us. Because we seek misery for comfort.

Yis can all use that. I don't mind.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back