Fontaines DC (9 Viewers)

Iggy played four songs in a row from this record on his Confidential show on Sunday

He didn't mentioned that it was mine and Scutter's favourite record of 2023, but still felt kinda validating, as it was kinda nowhere on any EOY lists that I saw

FONTAINES D.C. ANNOUNCE NEW ALBUM

ROMANCE

WILL BE RELEASED 23 AUGUST
VIA XL RECORDINGS

REVEAL FIRST SINGLE

‘STARBURSTER’

ALONGSIDE AUBE PERRIE DIRECTED VIDEO
WATCH HERE

LISTEN HERE

Fontaines D.C. today announce details of their highly-anticipated fourth album, ROMANCE. Released on 23 August via XL Recordings, ROMANCE is the band’s first album with producer James Ford and is without doubt their most assured, inventive and sonically adventurous record yet. It’s set to build on the success of the Dublin-made, now London-based band’s acclaimed 2022 album Skinty Fia, which reached number 1 in the UK and Irish album charts and saw the band receiving a host of accolades including “International Group of the Year” at the 2023 BRIT Awards.

Heralding Fontaines D.C.’s latest creative (r)evolution is the explosive lead single 'Starburster'. Inspired by a panic attack lead singer Grian Chatten suffered in London’s St Pancras station, the song is punctuated by sharp feral intakes of breath. Its propulsive beat and unrelenting lyrics establish self-destruction as fantasy before a brief moment of sobering clarity when the drums fall away and Chatten moves from spitting, almost-rap into an almost-psalm, his baritone rich and dreamy. It’s accompanied by a cinematic music video from director Aube Perrie (Megan Thee Stallion, Harry Styles, The Hives) that captures the song’s cathartic intensity to brilliant effect.

WATCH / LISTEN TO 'STARBURSTER' HERE

PRE-ORDER / PRE-SAVE ROMANCE HERE

ROMANCE is Fontaines D.C.s most ambitious, expansive record yet, its 11 tracks constellating ideas that have been percolating among Grian Chatten (vocals), Carlos O’Connell (guitar), Conor Curley (guitar), Conor Deegan (bass), and Tom Coll (drums) since they released Skinty Fia in 2022. These ideas crystalised while touring the U.S. and Mexico with Arctic Monkeys as the five band members shared music and found a throughline with artists that deftly build out their own sprawling creative worlds: the attitude and aesthetic sheen of artists like Shygirl and Sega Bodega, the bolshy sonic palettes of the likes of Mos Def, A$AP Ferg, OutKast and The Prodigy. They had time apart to build more singular visions for what future music could be: O’Connell went to Spain’s Castile-La Mancha and later became a new father, while Chatten spent time in LA, and Deegan in Paris. They laid deeper roots in London. Each member spent time pushing their boundaries – experimental riffs, chord progressions, and far-flung lyrical references without intentions for a record. After wrapping up the US arena tour in Autumn 2023, they spent a month writing together again, three weeks of pre-production in a North London studio, and a month in a chateau close to Paris, sleeping among studio equipment, completely immersed.

Of the album’s title, Conor Deegan says, “We’ve always had this sense of idealism and romance. Each album gets further away from observing that through the lens of Ireland, as directly as (Mercury Prize-nominated debut) Dogrel. The second album (the GRAMMY-nominated A Hero’s Death) is about that detachment, and the third (Skinty Fia) is about Irishness dislocated in the diaspora. Now we look to where and what else there is to be romantic about.”

Expounding on the theme, Chatten recalls Katsuhiro Ôtomo’s anime Akira, where the embers of love develop despite a maelstrom of technological degradation and political corruption around its characters. “I’m fascinated by that - falling in love at the end of the world,” he says. “The album is about protecting that tiny flame. The bigger armageddon looms, the more precious it becomes,” while O’Connell adds “This record is about deciding what’s fantasy – the tangible world, or where you go in your mind. What represents reality more? That feels almost spiritual for us.”

The sonic evolution of the band, who bared their teeth in early records with antagonistic punk sensibilities, is an ascent into grungier breaks, dystopian electronica, hip-hop percussion, and dreamy Slowdive-esque textures that may surprise fans. The shoegaze touchpoints first pressed on Skinty Fia unfold on ROMANCE like a purpling bruise. But any “retro aesthetic”, as Chatten describes it, is left behind. Reflecting on the impending release, Chatten says, “We say things on this record we’ve wanted to say for a long time. I never feel like it's over, but it’s nice to feel lighter.” The fantasy is felt for better or worse, and Fontaines D.C. welcome either end of oblivion.

ROMANCE, the band’s first album with XL Recordings, will be brought to life on a world tour beginning in the summer, with stopovers at Glastonbury, Reading & Leeds Festivals and across Europe. Headline dates will be announced shortly. For full details head to Fontaines D.C.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

I still, after all this time, can't get over the voice he puts on singing. Nobody with his first name who comes from Skerries has that accent and he overeggs it. It's funny when Dustin the Turkey does it but he undermined the whole project by insisting on doing a kind of Dublin working class blackface. They've had the odd half decent song but I just could never suspend my disbelief with them.

I still, after all this time, can't get over the voice he puts on singing. Nobody with his first name who comes from Skerries has that accent and he overeggs it. It's funny when Dustin the Turkey does it but he undermined the whole project by insisting on doing a kind of Dublin working class blackface. They've had the odd half decent song but I just could never suspend my disbelief with them.

there's a energy to the first album that makes it kinda hang together despite the silliness.

Gur Cake is probably a better fontaines DC song than any they wrote themselves.

I like a few songs by them, but yeah, the voice, accent thing is hard going.
Maybe it sounds exotic if you're not from Dublin or Ireland......

Yeah, I don't think a lot of people see the join. I'm sure we've all been hoodwinked by English or Scottish bands with similar tactics.

I can't really take them too serious with the hamming of voice. Like I get it, it's showbiz and katy perry is walking about singing about being a teenager with people in shark costumes but no more than Irish bands with american accents, it doesn't really resonate beyond the vapid

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back