Euro 2008 (2 Viewers)

Kenny is always going seriously in depth about team tactics and individual players, which would be worth listening to and you'd appreciate if it didn't sound like it was coming from a machine with an 'up in court Dublin accent'.

Still, Jimmy Magee is an idiot.

I think Mark Kinsella tries the same tack as Kenny, but not as well.

Ah lay off Jimmy Magee. He's had a rough few months so i don't think he's on top form.

He still has a few years left in him.

ah you're right. the memory man is alright. he'd be better with a real anchor like Houghton.

I'd love a a commentary team that knew any goddamn thing about football.
I kinda hate them all.

The RTE boys glaring lack of non-premiership players is infuriating.
Clyde Tyldesley is full of shit.

I'm favouring the BBC at the minute, mostly because of the no ads at half time, and the fact that their half time analysis is pretty good - they actually examine players and tactics instead of just waffling in generalities like them RTE wasters.
Obviously Shearer and so on aren't much fun to listen to, but best of a bad lot in my estimation.

I'd love a a commentary team that knew any goddamn thing about football.
I kinda hate them all.

The RTE boys glaring lack of non-premiership players is infuriating.
Clyde Tyldesley is full of shit.

I'm favouring the BBC at the minute, mostly because of the no ads at half time, and the fact that their half time analysis is pretty good - they actually examine players and tactics instead of just waffling in generalities like them RTE wasters.
Obviously Shearer and so on aren't much fun to listen to, but best of a bad lot in my estimation.

RTE coverage is amazing. How dare you!

Houghton last night on Turkey's decisive goal with 45 seconds left in the match: "For me that's game set & match to Turkey". Good to see the commentators sticking their necks out with some seriously juicy opinions.

Houghton last night on Turkey's decisive goal with 45 seconds left in the match: "For me that's game set & match to Turkey". Good to see the commentators sticking their necks out with some seriously juicy opinions.

Yeah Houghton knows his shit. He's a pro. There's always the sense that he wants to down the mic and headphones, tog out for the team and play in everyone's position and do an infinitely better job than them. Good for him.

Yeah Houghton knows his shit. He's a pro. There's always the sense that he wants to down the mic and headphones, tog out for the team and play in everyone's position and do an infinitely better job than them. Good for him.

Apart from having played football once and having little or no communication skills or any genuine insight into the sport, what qualities do Houghton/Kinsella/Cunningham et al possess that qualifies them to educate a nation on the finer points of the game? Serious question. Why are people who are so clearly terrible at talking hired to talk?

Houghton is good at saying what players should have done when in goalscoring positions, as he was a renowned expert himself. If someone puts a shot wide, they should have got it on target. If someone takes a shot when there's a teammate nearby, and misses, then he should have passed he ball. It's the Stapleton school of analysis.

All the different panels have their strengths & weaknesses, except ITV (who have only weaknesses).

RTÉ
Strengths
Hilarity
Scepticism
Chemistry
Duration
Indoctrination of Souness
Weaknesses
Ignorance
Unprofessionalism
Intransigence
Contagious negativity of Giles

BBC
Strengths
Slickness
Martin O'Neill's madness
Professionalism
Video prep
Location (money)
Lack of ads
Montages
Novelty pieces
Pronunciation (most of the time)
WeaknessesBanality
Shearer

Apart from having played football once and having little or no communication skills or any genuine insight into the sport, what qualities do Houghton/Kinsella/Cunningham et al possess that qualifies them to educate a nation on the finer points of the game? Serious question. Why are people who are so clearly terrible at talking hired to talk?

short answer:
YouTube - Ray Houghton USA 94 Ireland v Italy

Houghton is good at saying what players should have done when in goalscoring positions, as he was a renowned expert himself. If someone puts a shot wide, they should have got it on target. If someone takes a shot when there's a teammate nearby, and misses, then he should have passed he ball. It's the Stapleton school of analysis.

All the different panels have their strengths & weaknesses, except ITV (who have only weaknesses).

RTÉ
Strengths
Hilarity
Scepticism
Chemistry
Duration
Indoctrination of Souness
Weaknesses
Ignorance
Unprofessionalism
Intransigence
Contagious negativity of Giles

BBC
Strengths
Slickness
Martin O'Neill's madness
Professionalism
Video prep
Location (money)
Lack of ads
Montages
Novelty pieces
Pronunciation (most of the time)
WeaknessesBanality
Shearer

you forgot under BBC weaknesses "Lack of Ian Wright"

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Darsombra (Kosmische Drone Prog)(US)
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Gig For Gaza w/ ØXN, Junior Brother, Pretty Happy & Mohammad Syfkhan
Vicar Street
58-59 Thomas St, The Liberties, Dublin 8, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back