Electric Picnic 2021 (1 Viewer)

• Thread starter pete
  • Start date
  • Replies 78
  • Views 8K
  • Watchers 3
It’s not the same thing though is it? You can’t really compare thousands of humans squashed together in front of various stages over the course of a weekend with people sitting in the hogan stand or whatever for a couple of hours.

If the GAA can have 40,000 I don't see why it shouldn't go ahead. If the GAA couldn't have that many than maybe safer for everyone it didn't go ahead.
Are they sleeping in tents together on drugs for two days for the all Ireland this year or watching 3 hrs of games and then Getting on the luas though. It's far from like for like

Are they sleeping in tents together on drugs for two days for the all Ireland this year or watching 3 hrs of games and then Getting on the luas though. It's far from like for like

Maybe a gig of some sort that only lasts three hours should be allowed so? Also I've lived in Dublin long enough to know everyone doesn't just go home on the Luas after an all Ireland final. Everyone at EP isn't sleeping in the same tent either. :ROFLMAO:

It’s not the same thing though is it? You can’t really compare thousands of humans squashed together in front of various stages over the course of a weekend with people sitting in the hogan stand or whatever for a couple of hours.

I can compare what I want thanks. I once compared apples to oranges. Oranges are definitely more orangey.

Is sympathy for Laois county council misplaced here?

My read on them is that in the absence of proper government guidance/regs they just went with the safest option. The mess is Dublin's fault rather than Portlaoise's? Or am I miles off?

I'd totally blame the lack of direction from the government.

I can see a three day camping sexathon being a hard sale, but if everyone is vaccinated is it time to try some outside gigs though? With enough tickets being sold to pay everyone.

Any word on dunshaughlin festival yet @Anthony ?

What's the new outside gathering rule, 200 people? What'll that get you, a popical island night? A thumped christmas party at least.

Maybe a gig of some sort that only lasts three hours should be allowed so? Also I've lived in Dublin long enough to know everyone doesn't just go home on the Luas after an all Ireland final. Everyone at EP isn't sleeping in the same tent either. :ROFLMAO:

Yeah like I wouldn't make a wider argument that gigs are being treated with any respect at all - but through the lens of electric picnic (which are basically trying to hijack the national discourse here) I don't like their approach.

Notes about GAA: GAA started with tiny audiences months ago at select games and have slowly incremented the crowds as each event proved non consequential - there is a timeline and slow ramp up going on there, also tickets are only going out through clubs so largely its the die hard older folks and people who volunteer at clubs who are getting to the games.

Electric picnic have consistently been 'its this event or no event' which makes me think this is all about contracts with certain acts that they are gonna lose money on if they cancel and with no evidence my spidey sense tells me that laois actually like having 50000 extra off licence and lucozade sales each year. Also there are people who actually book into hotels to go to picnic, which is mad enough.

I don't think EP ever said 'we'll start small and see what we can do and then if its ok we'll increase' - in fact that job has been left to indie promoters and a fair few of them have managed to line up events with the cards they've been given. Like I've got tickets to two live shows in mini outdoor settings already, more to come.

Finally, EP are not Irish music, they'll be whinging this year and one year into post contagion they will be telling you it'd be great exposure for your band to spend a few hundred playing thier festival while they pay contract to the usual suspects.

So I don't really care for the narrative they are pushing today on media that this is the irish music do or die - If they were gone in the morning all the good shows would still happen, and some already are.

RE: the rest of the country, the approach to gigs shoulda been hand in hand with the GAA timeline, that was actually Irish music getting fucked.

Yeah like I wouldn't make a wider argument that gigs are being treated with any respect at all - but through the lens of electric picnic (which are basically trying to hijack the national discourse here) I don't like their approach.

Notes about GAA: GAA started with tiny audiences months ago at select games and have slowly incremented the crowds as each event proved non consequential - there is a timeline and slow ramp up going on there, also tickets are only going out through clubs so largely its the die hard older folks and people who volunteer at clubs who are getting to the games.

Electric picnic have consistently been 'its this event or no event' which makes me think this is all about contracts with certain acts that they are gonna lose money on if they cancel and with no evidence my spidey sense tells me that laois actually like having 50000 extra off licence and lucozade sales each year. Also there are people who actually book into hotels to go to picnic, which is mad enough.

I don't think EP ever said 'we'll start small and see what we can do and then if its ok we'll increase' - in fact that job has been left to indie promoters and a fair few of them have managed to line up events with the cards they've been given. Like I've got tickets to two live shows in mini outdoor settings already, more to come.

Finally, EP are not Irish music, they'll be whinging this year and one year into post contagion they will be telling you it'd be great exposure for your band to spend a few hundred playing thier festival while they pay contract to the usual suspects.

So I don't really care for the narrative they are pushing today on media that this is the irish music do or die - If they were gone in the morning all the good shows would still happen, and some already are.

RE: the rest of the country, the approach to gigs shoulda been hand in hand with the GAA timeline, that was actually Irish music getting fucked.

To be fair I couldn't give a fuck about either events tbh.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Bloody Head, Hubert Selby Jr Infants, Creepy Future - Dublin
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads... If we had any... Which we don't right now.

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back