election (3 Viewers)

ElderLemon said:
Personally I'm happy that Bush has won, as I'm closer to his stand on what americans might call "moral issues". At midnight last night, I actually thought Kerry was going to win, but there was obviously a swell for Bush which wasn't picked up the pre-election or exit polls.

Despite being a Bushie, I do feel genuinely sorry for Kerry - particularly after putting such hard work in to come through the primaries and a general election campaign that would have killed a lesser man or woman, to believe he was on the cusp of victory only to have it snatched away from him.

The Election itself throws up many interesting questions - where did the new voters come from? Was it a case of new Democrat registrations being cancelled out by existing Democrats switching for Bush? And how did the polls fail?

Jesus. etc...

I didn't say Bible. I'm not religious.

As regards the economy, I was probably actually closer to Kerry's way of thinking. I think Bush's tax cuts for the wealthy were inopportune, as while such tax cuts can help stimulate growth, it's my theory that they can only do so in a stable, confident political climate - not in a time of war.

On foreign policy, I don't think the americans should have gone into Iraq, I just hope that the elections in january will provide some impetus for stability. Key to that stability is for peace-keeping to be handed over as quickly as possible to the Iraqis, as American soldiers on the street will continually provoke instability. That said, while I disagree with the Iraq invasion, I don't blame Bush for what he did - inasmuch as if I were an american president post-9/11, and I was given intelligence that Iraq was stockpiling weapins of Mass Destruction, I'd have done the same thing. On Balance, Bush will be more determined, while Kerry would have been more thoughtful. Which quality would have been better-suited to the course ahead is a matter for conjecture.

ElderLemon said:
I just hope that the elections in january will provide some impetus for stability. Key to that stability is for peace-keeping to be handed over as quickly as possible to the Iraqis, as American soldiers on the street will continually provoke instability. That said, while I disagree with the Iraq invasion, I don't blame Bush for what he did - inasmuch as if I were an american president post-9/11, and I was given intelligence that Iraq was stockpiling weapins of Mass Destruction, I'd have done the same thing. On Balance, Bush will be more determined, while Kerry would have been more thoughtful. Which quality would have been better-suited to the course ahead is a matter for conjecture.
! ! ! ? ? ?

we are at war with eurasia

we have always been at war with eurasia

jane said:
So, it's more important for a leader to share your stance on god and the bible and women's rights than it is to have a bouyant economy and some semblance of peace in the world?

That's really kinda scary.

Oh, and I doubt Kerry needs your patronising sympathies. Thanks anyway, though. I thank you. The homeless thank you. The women who will lose their wombs and/or lives to back-alley abortions thank you. That Iraqi kid over there, the one...no, not that one, the one with no legs....see him? He says, 'THANK YOU, AMERICA, FOR FREEING ME OF THE TYRANNY OF MY OWN ANATOMY!' Or, well, he would, if he weren't rendered mute from shock.

They're not patronising sympathies. As for the rest, is there any chance of less hysterics?

ElderLemon said:
They're not patronising sympathies. As for the rest, is there any chance of less hysterics?
there's hysterics and there's astonishment. i genuinely find what you're saying loopy.

some people believe the earth is flat, it's not 'hysterical' to be astonished at them.

edited to add:

more astonished at the iraq stuff. fair dues on sticking your neck out as a bush person and all, but there's only so far you can go on "election" "stability" stuff in iraq before things like reality start to impinge.

hang about Elder Lemon, that's just a load of well-phrased untruths. it's been documented by a source very close to Bush that, the day after 9/11, he was quizzing aides on was there any way they could turn this around and pin it on Iraq. He's also quoted as saying that he wanted to go after the "guy who wanted to kill my Dad". Intelligence of stockpiling WMDs, you say? What intelligence would this be, then?

ive never met a homophobic evangelical fundamentalist before hooray for that shit and piss.

it is clear that america is sorely divided.

where do you even start? jesus... i docked you rep points, hopefully god is watching.

tom. said:
there's hysterics and there's astonishment. i genuinely find what you're saying loopy.

some people believe the earth is flat, it's not 'hysterical' to be astonished at them.

And what precisely is so 'loopy' about what I've said?

ElderLemon said:

As regards the economy, I was probably actually closer to Kerry's way of thinking. I think Bush's tax cuts for the wealthy were inopportune, as while such tax cuts can help stimulate growth, it's my theory that they can only do so in a stable, confident political climate - not in a time of war.

On foreign policy, I don't think the americans should have gone into Iraq, I just hope that the elections in january will provide some impetus for stability. Key to that stability is for peace-keeping to be handed over as quickly as possible to the Iraqis, as American soldiers on the street will continually provoke instability. That said, while I disagree with the Iraq invasion, I don't blame Bush for what he did - inasmuch as if I were an american president post-9/11, and I was given intelligence that Iraq was stockpiling weapins of Mass Destruction, I'd have done the same thing. On Balance, Bush will be more determined, while Kerry would have been more thoughtful. Which quality would have been better-suited to the course ahead is a matter for conjecture.

???? yourself.

ElderLemon said:

So, wait, you don't think Bush should have gone into Iraq, but you don't blame him, and you would have done the same thing? You already know it was wrong, and yet you would have done it anyway? You would do things you know are wrong just because you think morons will believe you when you make a frowny face?

You can be confident that Bush fucked up on the economy, and you believe has 'determination' as a substitute for 'thought', and knowingly destabilised any chance for peace in the Middle East based on the equivalent validity of 'what someone's brother's friend's girlfriend overheard in a crowded bar', and yet your 'morals' override all of this? No wonder you support Bush!

Frankly, I think that's totally awesome. Seriously.

ElderLemon said:
And what precisely is so 'loopy' about what I've said?
less hysterics? dead innocent iraqis? what's your background lemon? where are you from etc?

snakybus said:
hang about Elder Lemon, that's just a load of well-phrased untruths. it's been documented by a source very close to Bush that, the day after 9/11, he was quizzing aides on was there any way they could turn this around and pin it on Iraq. He's also quoted as saying that he wanted to go after the "guy who wanted to kill my Dad". Intelligence of stockpiling WMDs, you say? What intelligence would this be, then?

You could well be right. As I've said above, I don't think America should have gone into Iraq. The priority now is getting America out of Iraq - and ensuring that Iraq becomes a stable, democratic country - and in fairness, John Kerry may well have been the better candidate. Ditto for economic policy, I think might have been the better candidate. I personally preferred Bush because of his stance on moral issues.

ms.b.haven said:
note to self: put Elderlemon on ignore list for 4 years
now you see I have a problem with this attitude...I dont like Bush (or Kerry for that matter) but Elderlemon is completely entitled to his opinion, and, if we all believe that Democracy is a good thing, or at least the lesser of most evils (which I assume most people do), then we have to respect the fact that the American majority voted Bush back in (and this time it looks like he is also going to win the popular vote also).

Slagging someone off, ignoring them and their opinions because you disagree with them is not exactly productive is it ? Without dialogue you're pissing against the wind.

ElderLemon

To me, and to many others, it is obvious that the justifications the Bush administration gives publicly for their actions are not the real reasons for those actions.

I do not believe that the Bush administration gives tax cuts to the rich in order to stimulate the economy.
I do not believe that the Bush administration ever seriously thought there were weapons of mass destruction in Iraq.

Therefore, to me, your support of Bush is astonishing - you appear to have swallowed the propaganda whole

ElderLemon said:
You could well be right. As I've said above, I don't think America should have gone into Iraq. The priority now is getting America out of Iraq - and ensuring that Iraq becomes a stable, democratic country - and in fairness, John Kerry may well have been the better candidate. Ditto for economic policy, I think might have been the better candidate. I personally preferred Bush because of his stance on moral issues.

What moral issues do you mean? Can I presume gay marriage is one of them? So you would sacrifice economic recovery and stability in Iraq in favour of making sure people who love each other can't get married because they happen to be of the same gender?

Fill us in, please. What 'moral issues' do you mean?

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Fixity/Meabh McKenna/Black Coral
Bello Bar
Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back