Eating Animals (1 Viewer)

what evidence does he quote?

RE Fish experiencing Pain...

No evidence as such, but he refers to studies undertaken on trout "stress receptors" which, when injected with bee venom indicate severe reaction to the pain. He also refers to a book called “The Handbook of Salmon Farming" - an industry how-to book, detailing six "key stressors in the aquaculture environment": "water quality", "crowding", "handling", "disturbance", "nutrition" and "hierarchy".

Those six sources of suffering for salmon are:
- water so fouled that it makes it hard to breathe;
- crowding so intense that animals begin to cannibalise one another;
- handling so invasive that physiological measures of stress are evident a day later;
- disturbance by farmworkers and wild animals;
- nutritional deficiencies that weaken the immune system;
- and the inability to form a stable social hierarchy, resulting in more cannibalisation.

These problems are typical. The handbook calls them "integral components of fish farming".”

I'm going to have to read some Enid Blyton next...

Been eating a lot of these lately.
Hoagie_Hero_Sub_Sandwich.jpg

The key is plenty of oil and vinegar.

Was veggie for 11 years, then kicked the habit about a year and a half ago.
I haven't looked back, and I feel great.

So there.

Haven't eaten meat in 20 years
Been eating fish for the last 7 though due to an illness.
My kid was tempting me with roast free range chicken the other day ie holding chunks up to my mouth...
Perhaps some day. I'd never stomach redmeat though.

married to a veggie so i cook, eat and enjoy vegitarian food about 75% of the time. but i have NEVER tasted a meat that wasn't delicious. if it had a once beating heart, chances are i'll enjoy it. there is no doubt at all that ireland is crap for veggies. places like london, NY and chicago offer so much choice beyond the usual mushroom risotto/goats cheese salad/vegtarian pasta crap that you encounter here.

sometimes i find it annoying though. like moods said, meat gives you something to build around. i hate having to come in form work and think about what mixture of ingredients will work tonight. just give me a fucking pork chop.

Mushrooms and goat's cheese are two of my favourite things, just saying like.

I'm eating goat's cheese right now, with home-made (by Mrs. egg_) apple chutney

Doesn't mean I'm a vegetarian though. Had rashers and (home-made, by our hens) eggs for breakfast

And our cat caught a rat this morning. No pussying about with vegetarianism for him. He was having a lovely time snuggling up to its stiffening corpse in the boiler house

if it had a once beating heart, chances are i'll enjoy it. there is no doubt at all that ireland is crap for veggies. places like london, NY and chicago offer so much choice beyond the usual mushroom risotto/goats cheese salad/vegtarian pasta crap that you encounter here.

I agree with this... it's why I started trying things like fish and a steak. Yeah, I know there are a few good veggie places but that's the problem they're veggie places. When going out to restaurants with friends who enjoy meat (all of mine I'd eat out with do) it becomes a hassle. It's always pasta, mushroom, and goat's cheese and you're lucky to get more than one choice on a menu. Not to mention, spending a fortune on basically bland non imaginative dishes. Not very veggie friendly here on a large scale unless you always go to Asian restaurants.

I was a veggie for 11 years too. I can't remember what I broke it for but basically I just got tired of the hassle (I was a veggie from 1991 to 2002 when there really was very little in the way of vegetarian options in Ireland) and also got tired of resisting the temptation to eat steaks and rashers. I still don't eat sausages though or any sort of processed meat. That's more for reasons of squeamishness than anything else. I sometimes feel a bit guilty for having abandoned vegetarianism but I have to admit I enjoy eating meat too much to go back to it.

I've been a veggie for about 16 years and don't miss meat at all, that said one of the main reasons I became a veggie is because I didn't like the taste of meat or the idea of eating flesh. For about 10 years I existed on crackers, cheese, mash potatos and toasted cheese snadwichs, my diet is much better now salads, cheeses, quorn, tufu, beans, bulgar, lentils etc etc.

The choice of food eating out is not the best but the worst part is going to dinner parties at mates houses and they have to make a big fuss just so you have something to eat.

sometimes i find it annoying though. like moods said, meat gives you something to build around. i hate having to come in form work and think about what mixture of ingredients will work tonight. just give me a fucking pork chop.

heh heh, I'm showing Mrs Mark this thread

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back