Eating Animals (1 Viewer)

I'm eating goat's cheese right now, with home-made (by Mrs. egg_) apple chutney

Doesn't mean I'm a vegetarian though. Had rashers and (home-made, by our hens) eggs for breakfast

And our cat caught a rat this morning. No pussying about with vegetarianism for him. He was having a lovely time snuggling up to its stiffening corpse in the boiler house

Now had you said you ate the rat too I would completely respect your Meatatarianism.

I was a veggie for 11 years too. I can't remember what I broke it for but basically I just got tired of the hassle (I was a veggie from 1991 to 2002 when there really was very little in the way of vegetarian options in Ireland) and also got tired of resisting the temptation to eat steaks and rashers. I still don't eat sausages though or any sort of processed meat. That's more for reasons of squeamishness than anything else. I sometimes feel a bit guilty for having abandoned vegetarianism but I have to admit I enjoy eating meat too much to go back to it.

reminds me...i used to work in The Well Fed Cafe back then...there was a great variety of veg grub there!! And plenty of fliers'n'posters...t'was greaaat!!

After the Blyton, David Foster Wallace is pretty good on this, at least in the context of lobster: http://www.gourmet.com/magazine/2000s/2004/08/consider_the_lobster
We as animals all feel pain in on way or another. Eat me.
Try to imagine a Nebraska Beef Festival14 at which part of the festivities is watching trucks pull up and the live cattle get driven down the ramp and slaughtered right there on the World’s Largest Killing Floor or something—there’s no way.
Ridiculous. Beef needs to hang for a couple of weeks before its tender.

Any recent newbie vegetarians out there? Is it worth the stretch?

http://images.google.ie/imgres?imgu...ff&gbv=2&tbs=isch:1&ei=jJWNS4GGGtC6jAfj1_HWDA

Not a recent newbie, I've been veggie for 20-25 years (it was gradual), and while I do miss the odd rasher, it's not the end of the world, I've discovered a wealth of vegetable-y delights I might not have ever tried if I'd stayed an omnivore. I can't tell you if I've had any health benefits, as when I first became veggie I was a neurotic teenager who ate nothing but instant noodles. I certainly don't have any more health problems than the omniverous members of my family.

Havnig said that, it makes family gatherings a nightmare if your family don't respect your veggieness. I've had so many family fights over the last 2 decades I never do Christmas at home any more. And you do have to put up with people constantly asking you why you're a veggie.

But give it a go, see if if suits you - even Ireland is so much better for veggies than it used to be. I recommend a gradual transition, it's easier on your body and your taste buds. Maybe start by restricting yourself to ethically produced meat?

sometimes i find it annoying though. like moods said, meat gives you something to build around. i hate having to come in form work and think about what mixture of ingredients will work tonight. just give me a fucking pork chop.

yeah eating meat is piss easy. i gave it up coz i didn't give a fuck what meat, quality or quantity of , i ate. lazy cunt. 'how would you like that steak cooked sir?....'*panic*..eh medium? otherwise i won't be able to eat it coz i'm such a fucking control freak that everyone must believe i have expectations to be feeeeaaared?'

i did always find tho that the meat was just 'expected'...i'd be cooking the sauce in my kitchenhead wondering 'which rapidly-decaying flesh pieces will go w that?'..guess it was always kinda in me

Become a better cook since becoming a vegger 4 years ago..have tasted meat since and not in the slightest bit sorry i gave it up from my diet.

i was veggie for a while (3 years veg, 5 years vegan) and after using meat again for two years now i've really started to miss it in veggie meals. my fella's a vegetable and i'm still in the habit of tofu and lentils but more and more i feel something is missing when i make veggie food.
and might i add himself uses a hell of a lot less pulses or tofu than i do, he mainly eats cheese microwaved in something with the ability to contain cheese.

I honestly don't mean this as a joke, but surely that's an impossibility.

Well, yes, point taken - maybe what I should have said was "start by restricting yourself to more ethically produced meat, from small organic producers". If I thought there really was such a thing as actual proper ethically produced meat I'd be eating it myself :)

I do eat meat and the only moral issue i have is that our addiction to Cattle is responcible for clearing the amazon, messing up our body chemestry with hormones designed to alter the cattles muscle structure, possibly infecting us with CJD and destroying the enviornment. The last thing I heard was that "they" were trying to cross breed cows with kangaroos because roos have a stomach enzyme which means they never fart. I laughed my arse off. Then I read Oryx and Crake and decided it was better not to think about it ever again.

The "meat eating, right to life, isn't it terrible that you're eating a living thing", issue pales in comparison to the treatment of the animals while they're alive. the manner of the animals exit seems to be too emotive an issue to be sensible about. So I'll be silly.

So what if you chant to Allah then slit its throat at least those goats lived in the fucking out doors and weren't full of weird chemicals.

Shop Hallal.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back