Eating Animals (1 Viewer)

Jim Daniels

Burls Forever
Supporter
Since 2000
Website
twitter.com
Reading the book at the moment and am not dealing to well with the meat on my plate this week.
Especially pork and chicken. I won't go into details, but Jesus....

Any recent newbie vegetarians out there? Is it worth the stretch?
Any lapsed ones? The brother gave up meat after a bet with my Da . That was 20 years ago.

You should defiantly become a vegetarian.

More bacon for the rest of us :)

I'm a vegetarian and i've nothing good to say about it. Couldn't be bothered eating meat though

I was a veggy for 10 years.

BIG MISTAKE.

I was officially a vegetarian for about 7 years and then broke for (if you can believe) a hotdog from a vendor in NYC. It was more that I was starving and it was in front of me. I never really ate much meat before or after but I've noticed since moving here I eat a hell of a lot more than I ever have in my life. I blame it on lack of vegetarian options in most restaurants. Every damn place has mushrooms and goats cheese, two things I loath. I rarely buy meat and cook it at home. I don't want to touch it. The only time I would is if someone was coming for dinner or making something like a chilli. Even then, it's mostly beans and vegetables. I can't bring myself to eat anything still on a bone. It needs to be far removed. At this point, I'd say I have maybe 4 meals with small bits of meat (which is usually at lunch) out of the 21 in a week. I could easily give it up again but every once in a while I'm reminded of how good it tastes. I hadn't had a steak in 27 years up until last summer. I won't lie. It was damn tasty with a lime chilli dressing. I know if I read that book I'd go back to be vegetarian in seconds. Actually, come to think of it, I've had meat in meals only twice in the last two weeks.

I lasted 7 years, no barf and no regrets. It's definitely good to be aware of what your eating but there's a huge difference between Irish and American farming methods so what you read in that book might not relate to what you buy here.

Heard the author on Tom Dunnes show....very agreeable guy, made excellent points.
I've been off meat for 4/5 years. It wasn't that hard 'craving'-wise..tho the first couple of weeks w/out sausages was a bit of a hill-climb...but it passed..it helps if you like veg and like to eat well.

I have tasted meat a couple of times since while cooking and can safely say it does nothing for me....don't miss it in the slightest.

I was officially a vegetarian for about 7 years and then broke for (if you can believe) a hotdog from a vendor in NYC. It was more that I was starving and it was in front of me. I never really ate much meat before or after but I've noticed since moving here I eat a hell of a lot more than I ever have in my life. I blame it on lack of vegetarian options in most restaurants. Every damn place has mushrooms and goats cheese, two things I loath. I rarely buy meat and cook it at home. I don't want to touch it. The only time I would is if someone was coming for dinner or making something like a chilli. Even then, it's mostly beans and vegetables. I can't bring myself to eat anything still on a bone. It needs to be far removed. At this point, I'd say I have maybe 4 meals with small bits of meat (which is usually at lunch) out of the 21 in a week. I could easily give it up again but every once in a while I'm reminded of how good it tastes. I hadn't had a steak since in 27 years up until last summer. I won't lie. It was damn tasty with a lime chilli dressing. I know if I read that book I'd go back to be vegetarian in seconds. Actually, come to think of it, I've had meat in meals only twice in the last two weeks.

Wow! Thats some history Jill. Steak IS nice in fairness. The book is based on the American meat industry. Its pretty awful. Just four companies control the entire pigmeat sector. Its pretty much guaranteed that your hot dog originated on one of them..

Garden of Eden was vegetarian, not sure if that's an argument for or against though

I lasted 7 years, no barf and no regrets. It's definitely good to be aware of what your eating but there's a huge difference between Irish and American farming methods so what you read in that book might not relate to what you buy here.

Thats very true. I might investigate a bit further here. I'm sure its not a million miles away (just a few thousand).

Wow! Thats some history Jill. Steak IS nice in fairness. The book is based on the American meat industry. Its pretty awful. Just four companies control the entire pigmeat sector. Its pretty much guaranteed that your hot dog originated on one of them..

Apart from tuna from a can I had never had fish before last year. I've now tried cod and another white fish that starts with an H.
I've never eaten any other seafood... so no prawns/shrimp/clams/lobster...
I've never had sausage apart from when I was little and my aunt made some polish stuff when she visited and I remember not liking it.
I've never eaten lamb or veal and never would. I don't eat babies.
I've never eaten mutton nor would I.

Honestly, I think the only thing I would truly miss is turkey on Thanksgiving with cranberry sauce. The rest I could easily live without. I could never be vegan though. Cheese, milk, ice cream.... I could never live without.

Apart from tuna from a can I had never had fish before last year. I've now tried cod and another white fish that starts with an H.
I've never eaten any other seafood... so prawns/shrimp/clams/lobster...
I've never had sausage apart from when I was little and my aunt made some polish stuff when she visited and I remember not liking it.
I've never eaten lamb or veal and never would. I don't eat babies.
I've never eaten mutton nor would I.

Honestly, I think the only thing I would truly miss is turkey on Thanksgiving with cranberry sauce. The rest I could easily live without. I could never be vegan though. Cheese, milk, ice cream.... I could never live without.

You're missing out on a world of pleasure.
Steak so bloody it makes your chips a little pink and Superquinn sausages, the greatest thing Ireland has to offer.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back