Drugs and kids (1 Viewer)

PetrolHead

Hi all,

New here. Looking for some advice about drugs and kids. Have a 13 year old daughter who seems to be getting in with the wrong crowd at the moment. There doesn't seem to be any drugs around them at the moment, but from what I know of some of the parents of these other kids, that will only be a matter of time.

Anyone here have this problem before? Somebody else I was talking to suggested not getting too preachy about it, and to that end I picked up a book called 'Dying to Survive' by an Irish ex-junkie (I'm from Dublin, Irelan) and I was thinking of leaving it out for my daughter under the pretence of me reading it (I am, but not for my entertainment).

Anyhows, anyone got any experiene about this?

Regards,
Petrolhead

war-on-drugs2.jpg
plus
teenagers.jpg
equals
RnRlogo.JPG

i knew two kids whose parents smoked dope openly in front of them and allowed them to smoke when they were 17 ish, but explained the perils of all other drugs, and they were the most anti other drugs kids i ever met. not sure what my point is there.

Anyone here have this problem before? Somebody else I was talking to suggested not getting too preachy about it, and to that end I picked up a book called 'Dying to Survive' by an Irish ex-junkie (I'm from Dublin, Irelan) and I was thinking of leaving it out for my daughter under the pretence of me reading it (I am, but not for my entertainment).
I don't know if a book is going to do any good, TBH. If you read a book that basically says "drugs fuck you up" and take some drugs and don't get fucked up then you're not gonna believe the book.

Probably best just to talk openly to your kid and ask them what they know about drugs or think about them. I've only been a parent for four months so i can't really advise.

That's a tough situation alright. You don't want to make your child think that they can't talk to you about drugs because you think they're 'bad'; you don't want them to rebel against you and take them because you've advised them to be careful; you want to nip the situation in the bud before it gets serious; you want open dialogue with a teenager whose worst nightmare could be a conversation with their parent about drugs...there's no right or wrong really.
Being honest and open is usually a good place to start....even if it's just a matter of your teenager knowing you're there to talk to? But I suppose the thing about teens is if they want to experiment, they'll find a way. That's what being a teenager's about.
But if they feel that you as a parent are there for them if they need you, then that's good.
I'm not a parent myself so I could be talking guff, but I don't think there's an ideal way to deal with it.

say one of the the reasons i'm not really into my drugs is the fucking state of the places / people who make them.

The aren't very nice. The solvents used, the conditions and so on are very very bad for the most part.
And that's before the dickheads start mixing in various other muck into them.

But, yeah. Basically drugs are overrated in my opinion. If you start going on like they are something terrible when in fact they arent really, they are just a bit rubbish by and large, and have nasty come downs.
If you behaving pragmatically rather than fear mongering you may have more joy.

That said some people love their drugs, and no matter what anyone says they will keep horsing it into them.
Pun intended.

But for a lot of teens it's not about that - drugs are a bit glamorous, in a rebellious way. When you're a teen, if it's bad and your parents don't want you to do it, you'll probably want to do it. Or at least try it. It's easy as an adult to look at it with some sort of logic, but that's the last thing on your mind when you're 16 and there's a joint being passed around. And most people experiment. Some become regular users, some don't.
I suppose the main issue here is this parent knows that there's the potential for his child to be exposed to more than just soft drugs etc. That's the most worrying part, I would think.

thats my point.
drugs are cool basically because they are not allowed and novel.

If you explain that you dont give a shit really if they are allowed or not, they are made really badly and usually give you fairly crap highs then you might make more headway.

If someone is passing a joint around, go for it, smoke the crap out of it. Because you wont really feel fucking anything. Irish hash is rubbish stuff altogether. If your kid samples the wonders of that soapy shite that generally gets passed around that might well be enough for her to realise the shiteness of it.

Now if she goes to Amsterdam on the other hand, she's going to get fucking annihilated, and spend the rest of the night staring at the table and asking people what time is it.
That's another thing altogether.

i'd be more worried about the booze
right.
I almost died from drink 3 times. Two alc poisonings, and one time I walked about 5 miles into a field in Wicklow and went unconscious and was dragged home half hypothermic by a farmer sometime the next day.

That's not including the whatever number of times I went for "winter swims" in the Atlantic during storms, absolutely buckled.

I'd say you;re far more likely to die from that sort of messing than die drogen.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Darsombra (Kosmische Drone Prog)(US)
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Gig For Gaza w/ ØXN, Junior Brother, Pretty Happy & Mohammad Syfkhan
Vicar Street
58-59 Thomas St, The Liberties, Dublin 8, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back