Dj's, I just don't get it (2 Viewers)

Why does there have to be something to see? Is an aesthetic aspect a necessity? Do we need to have someone posing to make for good music?
That's not very punk.

yeah t'ed, obviously depends on the dj -
napalm - but then there's also the whole shit musik that makes me want to stab myself in the
cunt problem

Most bands are pretty boring to watch too.
I mean, if you don't play any instrument, what's so exciting about seeing someone standing on stage strumming a guitar? For a lot of people just seeing the performer is enough - and that goes for DJ's as well as rock acts.
In saying that, it's pretty damn impossible for electronic music (either live or DJ) to rival a really exciting band on stage.

DJ'ing etc was all referred to as faceless techno bollox for years - and for a good reason. For a long time, once the music was good, it was all about getting people into a room to dance their asses off.
Once people became educated about the music, who was playing became important and cult of the DJ was born.
I don't give a f**k either way cos I'd very rarely watch a dj, unless it was a really good scratch dj. I just listen to the music :)

I dont really care either way , but it's just an instrument like any other. Some dj's will be boring and others wiil be scratching and active and interesting to watch. Just like different guitar players.
Often people don't appreciate something that other people do because they just don't know anything about it and don't understand the specific skills involved. Hey look! I guess I do care afterall!

some djs put on a great show though....
DSC00002.jpg

FancyGoods said:
Often people don't appreciate something that other people do because they just don't know anything about it and don't understand the specific skills involved. Hey look! I guess I do care afterall!

ah, precisely. I am so sick of the whole 'no talent, no skill' line of 'reasoning'. Bollocks MY ARSE.

DJ's don't need to think about any aspects of music except keeping a vinal playing a 4/4 beat! Not relitively difficult! They don't think about lyrics, chord changes, time changes or harmonising a group of individuals into a seamless band. All they do is get one track, mix it with another and maybe shout some words now and again, and possibly the difficult part of remembering a beat in their head and scratching a record and letting it go at the right time!!

Oooooohhhh, the difficulty of being a DJ!!! I don't get the excitment myself!!

Junglebob said:
DJ's don't need to think about any aspects of music except keeping a vinal playing a 4/4 beat! Not relitively difficult! They don't think about lyrics, chord changes, time changes or harmonising a group of individuals into a seamless band. All they do is get one track, mix it with another and maybe shout some words now and again, and possibly the difficult part of remembering a beat in their head and scratching a record and letting it go at the right time!!

Have you ever done at? DJ'ed at a club like?
Have you ever been screamed at by a crowd for f**king up a couple of mixes in a row???
Just asking!

aoboa said:
Most bands are pretty boring to watch too.
I mean, if you don't play any instrument, what's so exciting about seeing someone standing on stage strumming a guitar? For a lot of people just seeing the performer is enough - and that goes for DJ's as well as rock acts.
In saying that, it's pretty damn impossible for electronic music (either live or DJ) to rival a really exciting band on stage.

DJ'ing etc was all referred to as faceless techno bollox for years - and for a good reason. For a long time, once the music was good, it was all about getting people into a room to dance their asses off.
Once people became educated about the music, who was playing became important and cult of the DJ was born.
I don't give a f**k either way cos I'd very rarely watch a dj, unless it was a really good scratch dj. I just listen to the music :)

I'd agree with most of this. Kinda playing Devil's advocate here, but it could be argued that at least the person plaing an instrument is actually making music as opposed to just playing someone elses records.

However, I could never ever pay the same price as a gig to see a DJ.

IT'S NOT LIKE DJS ARE PRETENDING TO BE IN A BAND for crying out fucking loud. They're two very different things. Stop trying to make yourself feel superior to them, there's no comparison. Apples and Oranges. Fucksake.
And balls to musicians who slag off djs, they're the ones who get people to listen to your shit records anyway.

Junglebob said:

chutneyfarmer said:
I'd agree with most of this. Kinda playing Devil's advocate here, but it could be argued that at least the person plaing an instrument is actually making music as opposed to just playing someone elses records.

However, I could never ever pay the same price as a gig to see a DJ.

A good DJ will put together a set of tracks that work together both rhythmically and musically.
It's not just reaching into a box and pulling out any old record to play next.
It's a different skill set, but a skill none the less.
Not everyone can play guitar and not everyone can be a good DJ.

Queen Buzzo said:
IT'S NOT LIKE DJS ARE PRETENDING TO BE IN A BAND for crying out fucking loud. They're two very different things. Stop trying to make yourself feel superior to them, there's no comparison. Apples and Oranges. Fucksake.
And balls to musicians who slag off djs, they're the ones who get people to listen to your shit records anyway.

Ha ha yeah. And going to a club that didn't have a DJ would make for a pretty boring Friday night.

Junglebob said:

i've seen your band - you were terrible

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Fixity/Meabh McKenna/Black Coral
Bello Bar
Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Meljoann with special guest Persona
The Workman's Cellar
8 Essex St E, Temple Bar, Dublin, D02 HT44, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back