deerhunter (1 Viewer)

Do they get played on Phantom a lot now? Really weird crowd at it. Was too packed and full of people pushing near the front, full of chatting pricks at the back. Plus the sound was crap too.

The set list was great, I just didn't enjoy it.

Was too packed and full of people pushing near the front, full of chatting pricks at the back. Plus the sound was crap too.

I was right up the front and there was plenty of space. I thought the sound was fine as well. Enjoyable gig but they could do without with getting some Caribou type visuals cause there ain't much to look at on stage!

enjoyed it a lot, though not as much as that 1st whelans one

sound could have been better alright (i was in the middle) but wasn't too bad. most of it sounded deadly (esp octet)

thought the noise section in the middle was a bit random but a cool suprise

did a full review here

"I was told not to talk about dead babies" - what was that all about? I really enjoyed the gig, almost on a par with their Whelans debut, like Unicron said they got a good balance between the pop tunes and the wall-of-noise stuff. Managed to get a spot up near the front, sound was not as sharp as I would've hoped but the bass roaring was maybe preferrable to being blasted with a lot of high-end at that volume. I was iffy on their new EP but the new songs all sounded a lot better live I thought.

I thought it was fantastic! Great mix of pop and drone. Dunno why but I never noticed before just how great a bass player yr man is. Such amazing bass lines! He seems to have his bass rig cranked really really loud but plays softly. Thought the gig had everything, great tunes, loadsa noisy bits and a bit of Bradford weirdness thrown in too.

I thought it was fantastic! Great mix of pop and drone. Dunno why but I never noticed before just how great a bass player yr man is. Such amazing bass lines! He seems to have his bass rig cranked really really loud but plays softly.

cos they played Octet. That song has the best bass lines ever. The version they played was completely mindblowing.

what happened to the chick that was in the band?

their last Whelans gig was her first gig with them.

She was much nicer to look at than that new lad.

There was no new lad in the band on Friday, those 4 have been the core members of Deerhunter since just after Turn It Up Faggot was released and Lockett joined the band with a couple of other people playing guitar on occasion. Regarding Whitney, (from the deerhunter blog in February) "We will be a four-piece again for now. Whitney is what you would call a 'free spirit.' She's also a great friend. Deerhunter is the four of us. We might have people come and go and that's just how we keep things interesting for ourselves."

Anyone at the gig last night ?? It was a great setlist and the sound was incredible but the fact that they were on so late (they hit stage at 23:45) meant that the drunken fool quota was really high and the number of folk barging through never stopped.

Brandon was in fine form too and the bass player played about 80% of the songs, the other 20 % he was dicking around with the front row, taking pictures for them, putting on things they gave him or drinking with them but he seemed really into it.

I was a little bored by the dicking around in the encore. This gig goes on all night system means that people are generally going to be more drunk. Could be a good or bad thing. The main set was fucking awesome, but I wasn't really into the encore. I actually liked the ambient noise elements but I just thought the ending lost the run of itself and went on way way too long.

Yeah the second encore wasn't the best, but everything up until that point was fantastic. Possibly the best I've seen them actually! The drunken fool/chatty cunts quota was higher during the support acts I thought. Crowd seemed grand by the time Deerhunter hit the stage, or maybe they were so loud they just drowned out the chatty fucks :) Was absolutely shattered heading to the gig, but during Deerhunter I managed to totally forget that fact. Also Low Dens were great too! Would definitely like to see them again. Who was the first support band btw?? I suspect it was Hipster Youth but not entirely sure if it was or not having never actually seeing them before.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Fixity/Meabh McKenna/Black Coral
Bello Bar
Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Meljoann with special guest Persona
The Workman's Cellar
8 Essex St E, Temple Bar, Dublin, D02 HT44, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back