David Bowie returns (2 Viewers)

Wow. It is a great story. But, eh, encouraging Bowie to introduce an Irish show with the phrase "Tiocfaidh ar la" when he has no idea what it means or what the context is? That seems like a bit of a dick thing to do, right?
Yeah definitely. I always find that part too embarrassing to watch! Poor DB. I was at one of those nights, can't remember if it was the first or second and he didn't use that intro.

Yeah definitely. I always find that part too embarrassing to watch! Poor DB. I was at one of those nights, can't remember if it was the first or second and he didn't use that intro.
Incidentally, according to this article, the lighting designer for the Reality tour says it was he and Gerry Leonard who told Bowie to say "Tiocfaidh ar la" on the opening night in Dublin. Hmmm.
Pete Townshend said ‘You work with a lot of artists. Now you’re going to work with the artist’

Incidentally, according to this article, the lighting designer for the Reality tour says it was he and Gerry Leonard who told Bowie to say "Tiocfaidh ar la" on the opening night in Dublin. Hmmm.
Pete Townshend said ‘You work with a lot of artists. Now you’re going to work with the artist’

Also a dumb thing to do. But it does throw the poker players whole article into some doubt. I mean is it really credible that Bowie would have the time or inclination to communicate so much with this guy over the years?

Also a dumb thing to do. But it does throw the poker players whole article into some doubt. I mean is it really credible that Bowie would have the time or inclination to communicate so much with this guy over the years?
No more credible than any person having the life David Bowie had.

Hard to say I guess, but yes I agree it does seem to put your man's story in doubt. I have heard from other sources that apparently Bowie did indeed used to reply to people on that early Usernet forum, or whatever it was called. Some mates swear they were talking to DB himself!!! hehe.

In other DB news - There's already been a cremation it seems.
David Bowie's body cremated in New York ceremony, say reports

I love Iggy's China Girl. Superior version for me, has way more life in it. The emotion impact with his vocals at "it's in the white of my eyes" take it to another level to the Bowie version.

I love the Idiot.

just heard Iggy Pop's version of China Girl for the first time this morning. I've read a lot of people saying this week that its a better version than Bowie's.

It is in its hole.
I prefer Iggy's version personally. Always thought Bowie's version was overwrought, and I hate that "oriental" style intro. Fuck you Nile Rodgers!!!

I love Iggy's China Girl. Superior version for me, has way more life in it. The emotion impact with his vocals at "it's in the white of my eyes" take it to another level to the Bowie version.

I love the Idiot.
Great album, and I love it for the fantastic "offness" of Bowie's instrumental playing on it (guitars and keys are all played by him I think). Also makes me want to revisit Diamond Dogs for the same reason, which I might do tonight.

I prefer Iggy's version personally. Always thought Bowie's version was overwrought, and I hate that "oriental" style intro. Fuck you Nile Rodgers!!!

I watched that five years doc last night and Nile Rogers talks about coming up with that riff and being slightly afraid to play to Bowie because he might laugh at it. He loved it apparently ...

Hello gang, the initial shock has kind of morphed into a settled sadness, if that makes sense. And I just heard that Alan Rickman passed away, at 69, also of cancer. It just feels terrible. I loved him as an actor, from Truly, Madly, Deeply, to Die Hard, to his theatre work, his voice was so beautiful. And his crazed Sheriff of Nottingham. I feel like I just don't want to be in work and basically become the crazy girl who never leaves her house, blasting David Bowie, and watching Alan Rickman films, and dressing like Lemmy.

I knew that Heroes was written and recorded in Berlin and I knew about the wall and the east and the west and all that, and it's long been one of my favorite songs but I managed to never realize until yesterday what he was on about when he sang about "standing by the wall" and the other side of it etc. I was reading somewhere about Bowie sending Tony Visconti out of the studio so that he think up some lyrics on his own and he looked out the window and saw Visconti kissing someone by the wall.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Fixity/Meabh McKenna/Black Coral
Bello Bar
Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back